Note to New Members ×

Will the missile hit the falling satellite?

C5 Golfer

Will the missile hit the falling satellite?  

16 members have voted

1. 1. Will the missile hit the falling satellite?

• Yes, first try
    • Yes, but maybe it will take #2 or #3 shots
    • No - it will be a miss
    • Don't waste the fuel

I wonder why they did not try this again - seemed sucessful back then.

Satellite killer

ASM-135 ASAT test launch.From January 1984 to September 1986, an F-15A was used as a launch platform for five ASM-135 anti-satellite (ASAT) missiles. The F-15A went into a Mach 1.22, 3.8 g climb of 65° and released the ASAT missile at an altitude of 38,100 feet (11.6 km). The F-15A computer was updated to control the zoom-climb and missile release. The third test flight involved a retired communications satellite in a 345 statute mile (555 km) orbit, which was successfully destroyed by sheer kinetic energy. The pilot, USAF Major Wilbert D. "Doug" Pearson, became the only pilot to destroy a satellite

First off, most of the F-15's are grounded for structural deficiencies-they're old and the center beams have deteriorated.

Second off, the F-22 doesn't have the ascent capability of the F-15

Third off, ground based missile to satellite killing has been, by and large, a flop....

They'd be better off trying to affect descent-what's the Australian outback for anyway. If it's good enough for Spacelab, it's good enough for the USAF

Guest Gunslinger

Gonna throw out a conspiracy theory here, you think it is coincidence that the space shuttle was just up there, and now is the window for this happen? I think it's a big PR stunt, 100% accurate on first shot.

Not buying the excuse of their concern for the public's exposure to it's hazardous fuel either, they don't want the top secret internals to fall into the wrong hands. Hell, there has been an estimated 600,000 civilians killed in Iraq from the war/extremists, what's a few more from a 5,000 lb. bucket of bolts.

The concern isn't for the fuel, it's the materials it's made out of. Also I wouldn't be surprised if there was top secret information.

As for the other satellite shot down, that one was still in sustained orbit, was it not? With this satellite the orbit has decayed so it's hard to tell exactly where it is and is going to be.

I'd like to think with America's top minds, and then some, they'll be able to nail the bugger. As long as everybody uses the same units of measure... (Mars rover all over again...)

Maybeeee we are just showing the world we have the capability to knock there toys out of the night sky. I say dead on hit first go round.

Its dumbed down for us sheep they are acting like its a first and it might not go so well. I believe they also said the missile doesn't have the range to hit a satelite in high orbit so it shouldn't worry the chinese.

now if you extrapolate the usual downplay on military hardware published performance you start to get the idea that they are full of **** as usual.

I highly doubt that there would be any sensitive information left onboard since it is the flight managment systems that are compromised, not the communications systems. All data and crypto certainly got scrubbed.

I suspect that what our guys were worried about was someone getting ahold of the optical hardware and figuring out that we can look into living room windows.