Note to New Members ×

Extreme Carver Newbie

brodster_57

Well, maybe not completely new. I don't race anymore, and I have always wanted to get the right equipment for this style of riding.

I have definately come across the Donek Blade and Swoard snowboards built specifically for this. However, I am curious if there are any tips you can offer me to get me started correctly. I was sitting here trying to think what type of boot or binding would be perfect for this. I currently have some old unmodified AF700's and I used to ride CATEK's. I have no board and binding as of now, so I am open to any advice.

I also understand there are probably a million different preferences for the next one, but what are typical stance widths and angles? Edge tuning?

Thanks for any info!

They have a bunch of equipment and technique tips on the http://www.extremecarving.com/swoard/swoard.html site, have you taken a look at that stuff? Scott's written up some stuff on alpinecarving.com too. There are some guys that ride Mt. Rose that are into that and seem to be pretty good at it. Check out tahoecarvers.com for local postings too, maybe we'll meet you up there. I can show you how NOT to EC :-)

Don't worry too much about the gear, it's more about the technique, practicing and of course picking the right slope.

Try to get a bit wider, softer board, it'll help you a lot. (e.g. http://www.virus-snowsports.com/products/alpin/supercarver/xtreme76)

Also a good boot with a spring mechanism is a good idea to get (e.g. Deeluxe Indy/700t + BTS)

Kindest