Note to New Members ×

Camber question re: Coiler AM177

D-Sub

Just received a used AM177 (21.5 waist) today...heh...havent felt this excited about a snowboard in a while!

I was messin around and had it on my work bench when i noticed that the board was darn near flat

every other carver Ive had had significant camber to it, but since Im unfamiliar with Coiler I wasnt sure.

the lift in the center is right about 3/16" when laid on a flat surface

is this normal? or is this board worn out? If it isnt normal....will it matter? Im planning on getting a custom made Coiler for next year but I figured this 177 would be a good all around board when I wanted one

any input would be appreciated!

try him on how much camber should be there since he made it..

BTW - I have a new 2004 AM177 also it has 5/16" of camber when it was new and still has the same amount after 8 days of riding.

My 178 RT Volkls have about 3/8" on my brand new 2004 model and about 1" on my 3 yr old grey stripe model. Go fiqure.

D-Sub I believe this camber thing is a bit over rated on grading or describing the board's liveliness. A snowboard is a spring and a spring has different spring rates depending on many factors beyond its preload as in an extension spring. For example an extension spring with a 2 lb initial load tells you nothing what it will be like when stretched to 1". It could be exerting 90lbs or 5 lbs the only reason the initial load is there is to keep it closed in most cases, same in a snowboard to bias it in a positive known direction. As long as a snowboard is sprung in a positive camber direction it is ok, just like an extension spring again .. if there is gaps in the coils you know it has been stretched beyond its limits and you should not use it. Your AM 177 is just fine - don't worry about it - go ride it.

CYA

My 2 cents worth of opinion after a couple of Cabernets

C5;)

"dont worry. go ride it"

solid words. I think too much:)

I _might_ be in colorado next week. mom lives there. nowhere near anything really, but within driving distance of snowmass and a couple small hills...

OR if that doesnt pan out, gonna try to shoot up to mammoth. REALLY looking forward to trying out that board!

(at this point I probably wouldnt notice the difference anyway...unless it was I who had ridden it enough to flatten it)

D-sub, you say you might be heading to Mammoth, give me a few days notice and maybe I will meet you there, or maybe carpool. I have a 179 Prior 4WD, and would like to try a Coiler also, maybe we can switch for a few hours. Let me know via email off the profile page on BOL