Note to New Members ×

What is considered a pintail?

MUD

In surfing, Pintails have been around for some time, and pintail skateboards eventually followed.

I'd be interested to learn more about Pintail snowboards, although the shape sounds antithetical to carving....

Hey WB,

I don't think it is as much of a pin as in the surfboards and skateboards. I think it is just a board with a good amount of taper, but I thought I would ask too see if any one knows for sure.

The Oxess BX board they consider a pintail. Check it out, you can see the taper:

http://oxess.ch/oxess-snowboard-freeride_e.htm

THAT looks like it would be an interesting AM ride that would still have some nice carvy properties! How old is it??

It is the new 159 boardercross board from Oxess. It has the edge contact of there 171 freeride board. It will set you back about $1300-$1400 depending on the day.

Everytime I look around it seems like there is another new Carving board company from Europe springing up. Yet we still only have the 3 "big" ones here in North America. Are there more hardbooters in Europe to buy the stuff? Or more money over there to buy the high end boards? It is too bad we can't get this sport kick started to the point where retail stores would clammer to have the stuff, like they do for Burton softies. If people can't touch, feel, demo it, and take it home today, the sport is probably destined to be a niche market. A cool niche market, but small just the same.

D.:biggthump

You are probably right about Oxess. I just hadn't heard of them. I think that with the proliferation of factory space and workers by the billions who work for peanuts in the Far East, it is getting easier and cheaper to mass produce anything you want. So smaller upstart snowboard companies can spring up overnight. That doesn't mean they will make a good product, just that it will be cheap. Aren't the majority of the softie companies mass producing junk like that?

You are probably right about Oxess. I just hadn't heard of them. I think that with the proliferation of factory space and workers by the billions who work for peanuts in the Far East, it is getting easier and cheaper to mass produce anything you want. So smaller upstart snowboard companies can spring up overnight. That doesn't mean they will make a good product, just that it will be cheap. Aren't the majority of the softie companies mass producing junk like that?

I think quite a few of the softie companies are actually producing boards in China.

The only boards herre that look like they could be pintails are the Powdersticks.

They didn't have a kick in the tail (making it a twin), so the tapered tail sat on the snow.

It should really come to a point, like a surf or skateboard of the same name and not be rounded off.

The idea of adding running length, with a low volume tail could make a fun powderboard, but I would think that a swallowtail (He said swallow!) would get the same thing done and not fall over everytime you put it against the wall.

Could be a good slalom board idea... Lots of fast base, with the same short effective edge... Just add a flat tail, instead of sqaring it off?

Can anyone make a recommendation for a decent pintail that's not going to cost $600 bucks? I am planning a cat trip in March and I definately want to take advantage of the shape for the pow. I know Lib Tech and Rome make decent stuff that's not crazy expensive - does anyone have a take on a Volkl Selecta?

I know you can "size down" on a pintail...what would be a good length for a 205 pounder?

Thanks,

Flash

Could be a good slalom board idea... Lots of fast base, with the same short effective edge... Just add a flat tail, instead of sqaring it off?

Like this bad boy? Cocoon Lotus 164, one of the stiffest boards I had. I made real progress when I bought it, but was too much of workout - I was lightweigth at the time. Curtis has it now, I think he's selling it...

Hooger had the same shape, too.

post-1678-141842249119_thumb.jpg

Can anyone make a recommendation for a decent pintail that's not going to cost $600 bucks? I am planning a cat trip in March and I definately want to take advantage of the shape for the pow. I know Lib Tech and Rome make decent stuff that's not crazy expensive - does anyone have a take on a Volkl Selecta?

I know you can "size down" on a pintail...what would be a good length for a 205 pounder?

Dynastar/Osin 3800. Not a full blown pintail, about 5mm of taper, but has huge nose and smallish notched tail. I can hook you up with one.

I guess the 169 would be the great size for you, but I have only 163 left. 163 would ride more like Fish for your size, but unlike Fish it would still carve good when you back on groomed.

Boris

I think I've ridden my 3800s more than any other boards this year, the 163 is a little small for deep powder, but it's a blast in trees (one of the best cheapboards I have) . the 169 is a better all around board for me (210 lbs.) I've ridden this board all day without wishing I was on something else (a better powder, Ice, groomer or tree board). I still see them on ebay, can't beat them for the price.

I have a 3800 163 too. Love it and ride it most of the time if there is any powder. It floats me pretty well even in deep stuff at 165 lbs. Would like a little more length for chopped up stuff. But, overall, it kicks tail. Anybody know of a current equivalent for when the supply dries up?

None. Discontinued. Dynastar has stopped producing the snowboards. I would imagine that Volkl Selecta and Rossi Judge would ride similar. Burton Malolo and Prior Khyber parhaps, expensive though.

Try a 4807 too - and get ready for take off :D It's directional and less of tree rider, but boy oh boy!

None. Discontinued. Dynastar has stopped producing the snowboards. I would imagine that Volkl Selecta and Rossi Judge would ride similar. Burton Malolo and Prior Khyber parhaps, expensive though.

Try a 4807 too - and get ready for take off :D It's directional and less of tree rider, but boy oh boy!

The Judge is real similar to the 3800, It's narrower with a slighty smaller scr and it's a little stiffer in the nose but they ride pretty much the same. It's one of the boards that I don't ride enough but really like it when I do bring it out.

The 4807 is a must have board, I should start looking for a replacement for mine because I will miss having it if (when) it breaks.

I don't know how the later Khybers are but the original model has quite a taper and feels a little funny on groomed trails but floats like a swallowtail in powder.