Note to New Members ×

Moguls!!!!!(a tad long)

Miguel

Sooo...I visited my brother this weekend at Killington. He's an expert skier....just ask him. First thing him and his equally humble Buddy ask is "How are ya on the steeps with that thing?". I humbly reply, "Oh...I can get down the hill", (secretly glad I brought the Incline!) Well...anyone that was at K Town this weekend knows that with the exception of the granite we woke up to on Sunday morning, there was not one square inch of groomed snow. Anyway...I soon find myself staring down the face of the first of many double black diamond runs studded with moguls! Now I gotta tell you....my experience with moguls are slim to none! Did I mention I'm almost 57 years of age?

Well...nothing ventured nothing gained. I put on my game face and reminded them that a day without snowboarding was like a day on skiis!:D

Long story short...I not only survived the weekend but developed a burning thirst for running the bumps. I never could keep up with my Bro and his Buddy but they never had to wait very long for me at the bottom. On Sunday the rest of their crew of eight ran with us and I was usually third or fourth down. Damn I was proud of myself...especially after hearing them all whine about the conditions! What a bunch of sissies those skiers are! Bring it on suckahs!! :D

I learned more about riding moguls this weekend than I have in the past twelve years of riding. It's all about using the terrain to facilitate turning. I also came to the conclusion that I'd rather be on hard boots than soft. It just gave me more support when landing little jumps and landing in uneven terrain. I am glad I was on the Incline and not my Freecarve. I gained a new respect for that board...It's truly a do everything board. It plowed through the soft crud, smoothed out the bumps and railed on the sunday morning ice.

I highly recommend bump riding to anyone who wants a change of pace. Yes, it's very frustrating and downright difficult for a boarder but the rewards are high. You have to be so alert and pick lines on the fly...kind of a warp speed chess match! It's opened new doors for me...my Incline won't be collecting so much dust next year. Just thought I'd spread a bit of my new found joy!

Peace, Miguel

I remember advancing leaps and bounds in the bumps at steamboat...

rode with this guy Danny VanDevender (no idea if thats how you spell it) a ****ing NUTCASE skier (and a hella cool guy to boot!)

he was so damn fast..when I rode with him I had to learn bumps, so I did!

I dont prefer them...in fact I hate them with hard boots on, but back then, in a soft boot setup on a shorter board I had a blast! a real workout and a mental challenge.

I can still hear Danny hootin and hollerin. damn that was fun back then!