Note to New Members ×

I can't handle not riding!!!!

queequeg

Ok, this is driving me nuts. I woke up this morning at 11am, and my first thougts were that if I hadn't injured myself I would be riding RIGHT NOW.

My surgery was a week ago, and from the look and feel of things, the titanium bar that they put in, is thicker and just as long as my clavicle in the first place. I kept asking my doc when I was going to be able to ride again, and he was like ... your season is over, don't even think about snowboarding again etc, etc, etc ... Fine. From what I have heard, six weeks is about what it takes for the clavicle to heal fully.

The thing is, I have full motion of my arm now, a week after the operation. There is some residual discomfort, but for the most part, I feel fine. From what I can tell, I'm not really supposed to start riding again until late february. I'm pretty sure that I could ride *now* but I don't think I want to whack that clavicle.

Here's what I'm thinking: I'll start riding again next weekend, but take it really easy - go to a mountain with plenty of green and stick to it. Practice carving with my hands behind my back etc. and do other balance/technique improving exercises. Practice low-speed carving and other drills.

This is the timeline:

Jan5 - break my collarbone.

Jan 11 - go into surgery and have plate installed

Jan 26 - go snowboarding again, taking it very, very easy.

Should I wait a little longer before I ride again? I made a promise to myself at the beginning of this season that I would ride every single week at least once, and this whole clavicle thing is really screwing that up.

I bought a full set of POC body armor, and intend to use it in the future.

I just HATE not being on the snow, it's really driving me nuts.

Let it heal correctly. It's definitely too early to think snow right now. Is a few weeks of riding worth a lifetime of regret if you your clavicle didn't heal correctly or heaven forbid, you seriously aggravate the injury in some freak accident?

If you are to go against doctor's orders, get a second opinion from a different doc who's a bit more understanding of those with active lifestyles. Perhaps he/she will give you a different timeframe that you can live with.

I think you know what's best, you just need to hear it from others. :D Hang in there!

You feel fine but your bone is not healed. I have a similar issue with my leg but I need to listen to the Dr. Once your bone heals it will be stronger than before. But right now, one mishap will send you back to surgery which is not where I think you want to be.

I feel your pain but be wise. Sure you may luck out and not have an issue. Do you really want to chance it?

Ok, I am going to talk to another doctor. The armor that I bought is pretty comfortable, and it has big shoulder pads and smaller clavidle pads. The clavicle pads seem to sit under the clavicle, I think the idea is that they spread the impact over a wider area, since the clavicle is kind of out there on its own. Either way, the plan would be to take it really easy ... basically pick a super gentle and cartable green with slow-moving traffic, and run laps on that run and that run only.

Kaida: I hear ya, I don't want to screw this thing up, but I also really want to ride. I friend of mine recommended a sports medicine doctor, I am going to speak with him as soon as I can make an appointment. When I spoke to my surgeon last time he said to visit him again, on the seventh of january. So perhaps, I should plan to wait until that date to ride again. I could speak to him then, get some new X-rays, and then decide whether or not to ride the following weekend. I think I can handle waiting that out, it's just, two more weekends of not riding if I do that.

Here are some pics of the body armor, which is surprisingly comfortable, and not-limiting to one's range of motion:

post-2204-141842246572_thumb.jpg

post-2204-141842246574_thumb.jpg

post-2204-141842246576_thumb.jpg

IT has been done before. But you are chancing it. IF you can fully commit to basic riding and vigilant defensive riding you reduce the chances considerably for an accident. It really comes down to you and your own decision. There isn't a sane doctor anywhere that will tell you to go back out and snowboard. They risk liability etc in doing so. That said, lots of people have done it in this arena and others, (watch rodeo sometime)

in general you risk another surgery and further downtime if you wreck. I see lots of clavicles on film and lots of old breaks, many that look really bizarre. You will probably do just fine if you tear it up again but you may be somewhat disfigured (bumpy) in that area. Oh yeah and it will hurt like a son of a bitch:eek:

On the other hand you could get run over by a bus crossing the street next week.

your call and yours alone.

side note : the armour is a great idea mine has saved my shoulders at least three times. every one should wear it.