Note to New Members ×

Getting Radical with a Tanker

mrjamie

Crash landings are never comfortable, and the tail of a tanker caught the brunt of this violence -- things will never be the same for the board.

With a tail that's busted, how practical are some cuts to the rear and a new swallow-tail to bring out a whole new 'radical' in the board?

Cheers

Jamie

I'm sure it would radically change the performance of the board, but what do you have to lose? As long as you use some really good epoxy to seal all of the cut edges to keep water from getting between the layers you should be able to do it. Not sure how long it will last though because the epoxy might not flex so well and break off.....eventually you'll get a delam.

I'm sure it would radically change the performance of the board, but what do you have to lose? As long as you use some really good epoxy to seal all of the cut edges to keep water from getting between the layers you should be able to do it. Not sure how long it will last though because the epoxy might not flex so well and break off.....eventually you'll get a delam.

Thanks for the post, Strider.

I'm guessing that a radical change of performance is because a swallow tail would involve cutting into the core?

Would an amputation & square tail be less invasive and less... transformative?

Willy - WTF??? You've got issues, man. I love it! :biggthump

mrjamie - swallowtail it!! Just make sure you use some high quality epoxy to seal it back up. There is a photo is the classifieds of a K2 Eldo that someone swallowtailed then had a surfboard repair shop lay some glass on it to add some strength back. It's worth checking out.

EDIT - check pics in post #7 in this thread.

Thanks for the post, Strider.

I'm guessing that a radical change of performance is because a swallow tail would involve cutting into the core?

Would an amputation & square tail be less invasive and less... transformative?

Pretty much. A swallowtail that was designed that way has a core designed and shaped that way too. Cutting the core will will definitely make it a lot more flexible in the tail, but you might want that in deep pow anyway. The post with the glass on the tail is a nice idea to stiffen it up, but I've done a lot of glass work on canoes and its hard to know how far you can go without over-stiffening it which will just cause the glass to crack anyway. If you can't get a warranty on it I think you should just give it a try.....not like you'd be losing anything. Just be sure to use a high-quality somewhat flexible epoxy to seal it all off. Good Luck ;)

I would recomend a compromise. a short swallowtail like the OSIN 4807 . performance would remain relatively unchanged. the core is thicker below the break so it will feel really stiff if you cut it square. If you cut it to deep on the swallowtail like a wintersick or a prior it will get to soft. A short cut will soften it up enough to give you the original feel in the tail and it will make it easier to scrub speed in the pow as well as make it turnier due to the shorter overall length.:lurk:

Try to leave the effective edges full length. if they get to short its gonna steer funny:eplus2:

mrjamie, just curious what length tanker it is? Looks like quite a project. Are you going to get metal edges on the rebuilt parts?

It looks like you have lost a decent bit of the effective edge and tail width. I think a fish design would be the best and simplest route to go. With the break where it is, you already have added a significant amount of taper and a shortened tail. Just round that thing off and try it out. I doubt there is any need for a swallow at this point with the tail so short.

Good luck, have fun, keep us up to date. :biggthump

Buell

Buell > good point. If the retuning isn't that expensive, then a floppy-fish could easily be cut into a swallowtail. Working in steps, I like it.

I'm not sure how I would go about putting edge onto the cut parts, but today I'm going to get in touch with the gentem stick makers around here and see if they would be able/interested in helping; since they ride surfboards & make snowboards my hope is that they will have all the tools necessary.

The tanker is a 187, by the way.

cheers!