Note to New Members ×

Boards & Conditions

AK in PA

My sole carving board is a 178 Oxygen Proton, which I'm thrilled with. When conditions are right and I can open it up, it's fantastic. But the optimum phrase is, "when conditions are right". At our small local PA hills, runs are often narrow, crowd packed, terribly choppy, or made of glace ice. The stiff 178, with it's 14m sidecut at these times can make carving more like running the guantlet than making smile plastered arcs. That was glaring obvious this weekend at Bear Creek, where thin, wet snow conditions reduced some runs to 30' widths, with little passing room around sliding bodies. Laying it over as hard as I could, I was in serious hurt of needing more real estate for much of the day.

Despite my longing for a big gun around 185 or 190 (I can feel the speed and can only imagine what such a board would do in Steamboat when I go there in a few weeks), I've been slowly coming to accept that something shorter, softer (hack, gag), and with a smaller sidecut would actually serve me better. With my thoughts on daily function vs. rare moments of mind blowing performance, I'm wondering if something along the lines of an Axcess or 4WD might be best with the bumps and chops. A tighter sidecut might help keep speed in check on narrow ice and steeper stuff, too. I just don't want to get in a situation where I get a board that's great in crud, chop, crowds, narrows, and ice, but then can't do what I really love as well when I've got nice, wide groomers.

How well do these boards carve, especially at speed? Are they really easier to manage in crud? Ice? Are they more of a detuned race board or more a freeride board with carving capability? Would a downsized race board be better? Or would you just stick with the Proton? (which I'm not about to give up) :1luvu: Just looking at expanding a 1-stick quiver. :)

I'd stick to a Proton, maybe just a shorter length like a 166 or a 164.

I have a 170 Proton for ripping it on open throttle days, and a 164 which I use on the weekend when my hill is way too crowded with new skiers and riders.

A 166 or 169 Prior AWD would work well if you wanted only one board to do it all.

I'd say in my ever so worthless opinion that if you are already riding a 178 square tail then having a 179 Prior 4WD in your quiver is a must. I say this from experience and when the conditions are right I ride my Volkl 178 or my Hot Blast 178 but when the conditions are not just right my 179 is perfect. Carves tight if needed and floats when needed and misses those unpredicable learners with ease. Plus it is so friendly on the legs - you can ride this all day with out getting the crap beat out of you. Buy one and tell Chris I sent you.

:biggthump:biggthump

I forgot it loves high speed too!

Ahhh the quiver, sounds like you are about to take that first step down the slippery slope. I have fallen a long way down and am picking up speed.

As you mentioned a step down in sidecut radius might be what you are after perhaps 11-12m is in order or depending on weight a softer flexing board to allow tightening up your carve and be a bit more forgiving in the traffic, or a combination of both.

I am in agreement with C5Golfer, In my opinion you cant go wrong with a Prior 4x4 ( I own 2 179s, love em) as a great all mtn or tight traffic deck, I would say the 4x4 rides more like a very mellow race deck than a freeride, The 179 4x4 goes as fast as I ever want to go and can eurocarve pretty damned well. ( I have a stiffened ATV also, its closer to a freeride). I would say I spent close to 70% of my days last year on either 4x4 or ATV.

The 4x4 would certainly meet the criteria of softer flex and tighter cut.

Havent had the opportunity to ride the coiler or donek equals but hear good things.

Something you may want to consider is something along the lines of a 177 Prior WCR with the "roundish" metal style tail ( or if you got the cash the 177 metal) . 11ish meter sidecut is a nice compromise for speed vs traffic, tail shape allows much greater versatility for bumps and off piste, although lets face it a 19.5 waist will never make a powder deck for me at over 200 lbs.

This thing is a much easier board for me to ride on steeps or the traffic than any of my "big" sidecut boards ie 185 FP/185 WCR/ or my second hand 190 coiler ( that board still scares me a bit although when the planets align with the corduroy great things happen ) , , The 177 or below WCR would meet the criteria of same stiffness/width as your proton but have the tighter sidecut.

As to comparing the 179 4x4 to the 177 WCR :: WCR is much higher strung than the 4X4 , carves better but less forgiving to mistakes ie much more likely to spit you on your head, and i find burns up my legs quicker if its ridden like its meant to be ridden.

Hope that helps

Dave* (pulling on flame retardant suit prior to hitting "submit reply")

Sorry I missed you at BC on Saturday - I was there all day. I must have been in the back bowls when your were on the North Face. ;)

SL is the way to go IMO. Pick up a nice SL board and you will be loving life at the crowded PA resorts. I have always kept my HB quiver to two boards - GS and SL. That takes care of everything for me. GS for the mornings and SL as the hordes of meat gates show up.

Let me know when you will be at BC again - maybe we can get a few runs together.

AK in PA,

I ride at Mountain Creek and it gets very narrow at times of insufficient snow. It also gets hard as a rock. My quiver used to consist of two boards. A Rossignal Race Vas 166 and a Volkl Renn Tiger 153. I know that in comparison to your boards these are small but I never had a problem with not enough slope width. A matter of fact I started to ride the Renn Tiger almost exclusively a few years ago. I found that with a shorter board I can carve anything at any time. The small sidecut radius let me turn insanely sharp round turns in which I could control speed by carving directly across and sometimes a little up the slope. This was done with less effort than trying to crank the larger Rossi around. If I were you I would get a short slalom board that had a little stiffness to it and use that instead of getting one of the "All around mountain boards" you mentioned. On the other hand if you have alot of money what the heck, start your quiver collection.

Good Luck

I'd rather have a short-ish board with a large-ish sidecut radius.

Short = easier to skid around at low speeds,

big radius = still fun at high speeds.

I have a 172 Donek AX in the works, with a 13m radius and plenty stiff.

Can't wait to ride it...