Note to New Members ×

Las Vegas/Brian Head Mtn, Utah

Carp

My wife earned a trip to Vegas with work the weekend of the 5th of April. I'd like to bring the boards out there and do some riding. Is there any decent riding within a short drive of Vegas? I've got a friend that I may have free lodging at Brian Head, UT; but I've never ridden there only the Bird and Brighton.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Carp

My brother used to live in Vegas and I have ridden at Lee Canyon, now it is called Las Vegas Ski and Snowboard Resort. They have a total of three chairs with limited terrain available. Here is there website for more info.

http://skilasvegas.com/winter/index.html

From what I remember there is limited terrain for carving, it is just a small resort with 900' vertical. I see that you are from WI, 900 foot might be bigger than the hills around your area.

It is located about an hour from Vegas.

I have also been to Bhead and if you have the time it is definitely worth the drive, it's 3 hours from Vegas, 4 if you add the hour for the time change. There are quite a few runs at Bhead for carving. I spent alot of time over on the west?? side of the resort. There is plenty of lodging down the hill in Cedar City and it is a short drive up to Bhead.

Ahh, Lee's Canyon. Some kid got killed on a lift on an extremely rare freak accident involving the avalanche and it hitting the ski lifts few years back. They shut down for a year, didn't they ? Didnt know they'd be back in business by now.

I thought that was at AZ Snowbowl where rweston rode?

I guess I was wrong about Brianhead, too.

I appreciate all the great feed back guys. Lodging in Vegas is free and I think I have a friend that has a place on Brian Head we can stay at free. How far is it to the Canyon? That sounds promising too if it's not too far of a drive.

Thanks again.

Carp

I was talking about the canyon that was mentioned. I'm not sure how much snow will be had the 1st week in April. I'm keeping my fingers crossed, but Utah I would think would be our best shot and 3 hrs isn't too bad, but the Lee Canyon that was mentioned sounded encouraging I'm just not sure how far it is from Vegas.

I'm really hoping this comes together.

I've heard that B-head is kinda lame, but I've never been there. I don't even know if there'd be snow in April?

Nonsense Dave :p Brianhead has PLENTY of fun terrain. Just like any other resort in UT, April can always be iffy. Expect springy conditions, that's all! All I know is that the snow this past March was as good or better than anything we had up north. Elevation can be an issue - I think the base is close to 9000'. Be prepared to adjust! About a 3 hour drive from Vegas.

Thanks for the heads up on the "dry town". Will definitely bring a few cases of Guinness. Looking forward to riding. Hopefully there's some good hiking and out of bounds riding too, although the spring conditions tend to make me a little nervous for slides.

I grew up in LV and have skied / boarded both places. Ski Lee or whatever they are calling it is very very very lame, but has the early 70s feel (and chairlifts) and it's pretty cheap. When all you've got is 3.2 beer, well, you drink 3.2 beer. But I'm pretty sure it's all moot, as I can't recall a single year that the resort stayed open that late in the season.

Brianhead is just OK. The terrain there is definitely on the flatter side of steep, but the biggest complaint for a "major" resort (being the closest real resort to Las Vegas) is that they still use fixed grip chairs and I'm pretty sure the longest/most vertical chair (chair 2 on the east side of the resort) is just a triple. The chair ride is 15 minutes or so each time, and if you're cookin' it will take about 2.5 minutes to get back down. That was acceptable in the 80s... but today?

That said, Brianhead is the first resort I ever rode a snowboard at (my 86 performer elite 150), in the spring of 88, when they opened up the resort for a special "snowboard contest" weekend. It's a pretty fun place on a powder day because it takes years to track out between the unskilled LV clientelle and the excruciatingly slow chairs. Lots of good stuff in the trees off of chairs 2, 5 and 7.

For a while they were also offering cat rides from the top of the resort to the true top of the peak (which is probably at least 1500 vertical above where list service ends).

I think it would compare favorably to Boreal. Probably lamer than Homewood or Powder Mountain (utah). No comparison to a real resort.