Note to New Members ×

why am i in so much pain?

boardman73

just wondering if anyone else has a similar problem? ive ridden twice so far this year and both times after only a couple hours i get bad pain on the outsides of both shins not near the boot top but closer to the ankle and only on the outside so not my calf muscle. im wondering if im just out of shape and need to get used to riding again or if this is a cant or angle issue? i ride w/ no cant and pretty steep angles due to big feet and narrow boards and have been riding plates for 20 years and cant remember being in this much pain even on the first day and it gets worse after taking off the boots! any ideas?

Did you use other socks?? Or is it just your fitness?

I once used other socks and my lower legs did hurt all over the place.

I nowadays use Shintronics for the first two days. Then my legs are used to the pressure (my ridingstyle is pretty pushing into the boots) and then I can ride without.

I always got a similar pain in my front leg on my first day or two of the season -- on the outside just above the ankle. Only on the front leg, though. I guess it is stress on that tendon that it isn't used to, from the sideways twisting. It always limited me to a half day on my first day out, then a week recovery and I was okay.

This year I didn't get that pain. I'm not sure why. It could be that I've been doing more stretching/yoga lately or it could be my new boot liners. I replaced the stock liners in my Burton Wind boots with ZipFit liners, which are stiffer. I ended up with soreness in other places around where the upper boot cuff hits the leg, but the tendon pain above the ankle didn't happen.

I don't know if this info helps, but it's another data point that might be useful in diagnosing the problem.

stretch the tendon good before and after riding. roll the ankle inward and put pressure down on it to stretch. do this throughout the year until you can stand on your lateral malleolus ( the ankle bump on the outside) you will not have any more problems and you won't ever turn an ankle again. It helps to not be fat and out of shape to but mostly you are just using your feet in a way they aren't accustomed to.:biggthump

If your boot liner is a wrap style, make sure they are wraped the correct dirrection.

I had major shin (outer part) pain my first day out this season with boots I've worn pain free for years. It was the only day they hurt... chalked it up to early season - not used to vises around my feet - whimpiness.

It helps to not be fat and out of shape to but mostly you are just using your feet in a way they aren't accustomed to.:biggthump

I've always wondered about some sort of summer conditioning with my feet smashed into my boots. Or just wearing my boots around the house occasionally to stay used to them... probably not ever gonna happen. It would just slow down my trip to the fridge for another beer.

I've always wondered about some sort of summer conditioning with my feet smashed into my boots. Or just wearing my boots around the house occasionally to stay used to them... probably not ever gonna happen. It would just slow down my trip to the fridge for another beer.

that kills me cuz i used to wear my boots watching tv like a month before snow when i was like 16 and my parents thought i was nuts!!!

For me it's weak feet....well feet not used to the feeling that confined anyway. The first hour my feet were killing me then everything settled in and I was fine for the rest of the day. I know that days of slalom and downhill skateboarding this summer helped enormously this year compared to last.

i had the same thing. are you bow legged? if you are try canting outwards. also try orthotics.

I am totally with you on this one.

Typical sign of not being aligned correctly.

I had it, I thought I am not bow legged, well...

boardman73, give it a try, cant outside by a degree or two, at least the front binding to begin with... If you don't have custom orthotics, get some.

Good luck!