Note to New Members ×

Get on lift with 2 boards?

DiveBomber

The ADA ( American's With Disabilities Act ) provides for access to all kinds of activities and skiing is one of them. If you can prove that you have a physical disability that precludes from you normal operation of the lift then there are several avenues of recourse from registering with the ski area and getting a special pass to allow non-standard use of the lift system. It would take more than showing the liftie a note.

I'm fairly familiar with the concept. My brother suffered a severe c-5,6,7 spinal cord injury six and a half years ago.

I'm just suggesting that ridding boot footed may not be the best solution, that's all.

I ride with both feet in all the time. If i'm not at my home mountain, I grab a pole from someone I'm with who skis. If the lifty says anything I tell them I've got poles so it's a monoski.:biggthump Only chair I've ever been dragged under was on the bunny hill at my home hill, and that was just plain funny.:ices_ange

I should probably have said "if" not "when" they fall over, generally it passes without incident. With a close stance and softy setup, it's actually pretty easy to do a chair with both feet attached. With high angles and wide stance it's a bit different, of course, but it's generally recommended (ast least over here, and with signage to that effect) to detach a foot. On drags, I never detach my feet, I find it much easier to do drag lifts with both feet "in".

oh, and monoski :lol:

Simon

I'm fairly familiar with the concept. My brother suffered a severe c-5,6,7 spinal cord injury six and a half years ago.

I'm just suggesting that ridding boot footed may not be the best solution, that's all.

I'm not really sure what you mean by boot footed. All I was saying is that if you have medical reason, impairment of some kind or (we do sell pedestrian only tickets) are on foot, they will if needed stop the lift entirely to allow safe egress. Usually for something more than a sore knee.

How is your brother? There are a lot of grades of impairment within paraplegic and or quadriplegic. I certainly hope he has recovered but with C5-7, that can be pretty damaging.

Feel free to email off list. They do have a terrific ski program here with some very generous support within the community and scholarships available. Sometimes travel included.

Guest AllMountain

thanks for the replies.

my knee is nowhere near a "disability." i had it scoped a few yrs back to remove a piece of torn meniscus, and i have some soreness once in a while. for some strange reason, the only time it really bothers me is when sitting on a ski lift, with the weight of a board hanging from it.

physical therapy is a good idea; perhaps some strengthening exercises would reduce the problem.

re: Riding up with an extra board: I'd recommend carrying it either by hand or strapped to a pack. I do this all the time for races, or at the one local area that makes you park down low then ride a lift up to the real base of the mountain.

Turning the bindings to 90 degrees just to ride up seems like a waste of time.

The bigger issue comes when you have to ride down carrying the extra board (ride on your board, not on the lift). Remember that the spare board is going to be something of a sail. If I have my good pack, I'll load it vertically (horizontal makes you way too wide for a trail that might be busy). The nose of the board sticking way up (if you load it too low, the tail will bang your legs) definitely keeps you on your toes, especially if you go fast. Carrying it on your shoulder creates less wind drag, but if you turn hard it could catch the wind and get knocked off your shoulder. Carrying it under your arm works, but seems to increase the wind effect and twists you around more than having it on your shoulder.