Note to New Members ×

virus nightmare - what radius does it have?

Guest Cyclik

Ive finaly got my virus nightmare (165 cm/15.1 mm) and want to know, what is its sidecut. dont you know it?

I apologize for my terrible english (from Russia with love and etc)).

thank you in advance)

my virus doesnt have an indicated radius either. I personally think that they purposely leave it out so that customers dont try to compare it to another board of similar radius. Really if a virus has the same radius as something else, the two boards are incomparably different enough that the SCR number really has no value. it is just what it is.

my virus doesnt have an indicated radius either. I personally think that they purposely leave it out so that customers dont try to compare it to another board of similar radius. Really if a virus has the same radius as something else, the two boards are incomparably different enough that the SCR number really has no value. it is just what it is.

I absolutely fight such philosophy!

Not all the people can test a board befor buying it so... sidecut radius is just ONE parameter MORE you can evaluate in order to choose the board.

Having it is better than not having it. So... it sounds absolutely crazy idea not to say anything about radius.

Tell me "radius is xx but flex is very strong" or something similar but... I need to know which sidecut the board has got.

:nono:

Don't think so.

There will be an average radius, there will be a pseudo-equivalent circular radius, there will be a measure to identify an elliptical radius, there will be something else but... as a further reference, I think that it's better to have one figure more than one less.

:rolleyes:

Info on sidecut of a Virus is about as useful as a chocolate tea kettle
LOL

The last time I asked, or cared about a scr was about 5 years ago...

I consider the Virus boards I ride "extreme carving boards" :argue: , not race boards. If it would be a race board I use, I would sure consider looking at the scr again...

Cheers

LOL

The last time I asked, or cared about a scr was about 5 years ago...

I consider the Virus boards I ride "extreme carving boards" :argue: , not race boards. If it would be a race board I use, I would sure consider looking at the scr again...

Cheers

I don't even care any more.

Phil Fell borke me of what I consider a infectous habit. Years ago when we found what boards suited my style.

I would say stuff like, Whats the radius?

Phil would say GS...... or perhaps SL .

thoose where the only options. And at that level the courses have standards, so you know what the board feels like.

There are so many varaibles in construction that raidus is not always a indacator of any thing more then general turn shape.

And when you decide to ride superboards you know whats going on and how the board works.

When a major player builds a PGS board thats for sure what its for.

Oh yea Virus thread. ;)

I have a metal Phantom that like 20.5 wide that I just LOVE :1luvu::1luvu::1luvu:

The last time I rode it and a Kessler back to back in soft snow in a race course the Virus was better. (even phil thought so) :eek::eek:

But you have to know how to drive that thing for sure!!!! :biggthump

I absolutely fight such philosophy!

Not all the people can test a board befor buying it so... sidecut radius is just ONE parameter MORE you can evaluate in order to choose the board.

Having it is better than not having it. So... it sounds absolutely crazy idea not to say anything about radius.

Tell me "radius is xx but flex is very strong" or something similar but... I need to know which sidecut the board has got.

:nono:

But often the radius of different builders ride totally different. As do Sizes.

I think Even more in custom shapes.

I mean sure its nice to know but I want to enjoy the board builders Idea of what the board should do.

I am lucky and lots of builders know me and my riding style so Our custom shapes are just the awsome from everyone.

Calculated radius is 9.42M if you make allowance for the taper. Does everone feel better now? Not that the board rides like a 9.42m radius, but you now have your number. Chocolate teapot. Licorice coffee urn. Pasta plate. mmm I'm hungry.

No, I'm not feeling bettere but... neither worse, anyway.

Simply, I've got a number more. And I know that such a board will not be used for turning 13m turns on the edge without sliding.

I think its a further information we have from "etimated" sidecut. If someone doesn't think so, no problem: for me television is nothing but for many people it seems to be their whole life! Who's right? Both.

:biggthump

I don't understand what difference sidecut makes to riders that touch their hands down on every turn unweighting the board, taking the energy out of the board, pivoting the board around the hands making a 9.42 radius board into a 5.4 radius board :confused:

Back to developing a substance to keep

my zylon boards from getting sunburn :rolleyes:

Hi Billy, does the virus Phantom metal just ride differently than the Kessler and how does it compare to the Prior Metal? Virus Phantom Metal in 20.5 sounds real nice......tempting to get one!

Thanks

ST

They all ride on the super board level but each has its own ride of course.

The Virus rides more like a older style GS stick great for free riding, It is a bit stiff for my weight and liking for PGS. (frank made it for me and knows how I ride) It also has a camber like a kessler but not the same taper. Since its stiffer it eats up the soft snow. If i were to compete on the shape It would need to be softer to be competative. But whould make a agressive free rider very happy. Mine is a phatom III so fun.

The Kessler is a PGS machine best stick I have ever ridden in a race course in every model. Kills the hard pack but is softer then you may quess and can be interesting in softer snow. Sill a great ride in soft snow. The best racers in the world choose (and pay out of pocket)for them for a reason.

The Prior is a great metal board for the recreational rider who may spend just a day or two in a race course but want a board they can ride in all conditions everywhere. I have a PGS prior metal and it is total different then the stock shape. I really like the stock shape and highly reccomend it to everyone to try. It is a great ride. With a tail!!

Any rider should be very happy with any metal board, But location really pays a big deal this year. If your a US guy you may be forced to look to north amercian builder becuase the US dollar sucks so much. If you are Euro your euro will streach much further then ever before.

Hi Billy, does the virus Phantom metal just ride differently than the Kessler and how does it compare to the Prior Metal? Virus Phantom Metal in 20.5 sounds real nice......tempting to get one!

Thanks

ST

I have ridden that Virus and I have a couple of Prior Metals. I am 145 pounds (lightweight), an intermediate carver and was warned ahead of time that it would be BIG for me. I have ridden a decent number of boards and Bordy's 184 Phantom III is the only one that I could not bend - stiff! Maybe in soft snow it would have ridden better for me.

The Prior Metals are easy and incredibly forgiving. They are much softer and lighter than that particular Virus.

Depending on your weight and ability I am sure either Virus or Prior could modify the flex for you.

Enjoy.

Thx Billy, Buell. I've heard folks here also said the Prior is very verstaile and is easy to ride. I am already riding a Prior board so am looking at sth else. The Kessler like you said is a PGS machine, but I don't race so perhaps the Virus might be a better fit for me and that's why I was asking about Phantom. Does Virus ship direct and do you know someone there good that I can talk to? Thx

If you send email to dave@hardbooter.com he can get you all the info and any virus stick you want. Also Bola at allboard sports carrys viri.

You can also e-mail me through the BOL contact and I can get you all the info.

And give you a phone number were we can help you decide what type of feel you want from the board boot binding system. In person (well via the phone)

I don't understand what difference sidecut makes to riders that touch their hands down on every turn unweighting the board, taking the energy out of the board, pivoting the board around the hands making a 9.42 radius board into a 5.4 radius board :confused:

Back to developing a substance to keep

my zylon boards from getting sunburn :rolleyes:

No difference but...who were you referring to?

Bola over ten years ago I had to beg Wayne Maca at cruise and bruise to put the radius I wanted on a board (18.5) He didn't even want to build it.

Still to date one of the best boards I have ever ridden. He build tons more and never told anyone what the radius was, just that it was the same board I was racing on. Everyone loved it.