Note to New Members ×

Catek & TD1

Guest apocalypsem3

just curious, but why should a binding be "forgiving"

?

I would think that one would want a binding to be 100% precise. Let the dampening happen in the board (aside from built in cushioning in bindings?) but expect the binding to do exactly what you ask it to?

After running both bindings, As well as a the TD2 in a race course. I devoloped less chatter in the ruts on the catek.

I am however running the short plate and looking for some Dampning. I am in a 26.0 Indy.

D- Sub,

dampning is the reason a binding should have some flex. Do some searches on older post you will find the answers you seek.

The Cateks do seem to "break down quicker" were as I have had TD1s last almost a decade!

Originally posted by D-Sub

just curious, but why should a binding be "forgiving"

I would think that one would want a binding to be 100% precise. Let the dampening happen in the board (aside from built in cushioning in bindings?) but expect the binding to do exactly what you ask it to?

My standard line is "depends on your application"

I guess my best example is to grab the kid's PSII, throw in a road race or rally game and then see how each car (or truck) reacts to different shock/tire settings on different courses...."on" and "offroad".

Same holds true in snowboarding.....sometimes you need rigidity, sometime you need flexibility.

K

Guest Karver

[TD2 is much more flexible than Catek with long plates. Your technique must be precise with Catek long plates. I don't know anything about Catek short plates since I have never tried ones.:)

The TD2 has a feel like the long plate olympic. Only it seems more solid, not just in feel but also in response, The movement seems quicker. I have only ridden the Clip Catek long, Not the Intec. But I rode it back to back with the Short and some TD2s both Intecs. I felt the long Plates still had some give. There is more platform extended from the point of contact. It seems to have so flex. Plus thoose Damn Catek Screws just keep digging into that soft disk I am sure that adds some "Sqwish"? The TD2 seems to be more alive and dirrect but can be less forgiving when chatter kicks in.

But the Differance between Clips and intecs is huge. It changes the flex of the boot by lowering the anchor point to the heel below the foot.

I also twisted the hell out of my ankle in the Freerides! Beware!

I have the '04 Catek Olympic long-plate and TD2, both with Intecs. TD2's have soft (yellow) e-rings. I find the TD2 rattles my shins and knees noticably less that the Cateks, using my Donek Axis 172 as a test board.

On my Coiler I don't notice much of a difference. That board is so damp anyway.

Too many freakin' variables... Intec vs clips, e-rings, long plates vs short, TD2 vs Catek!

Z- carver, I don't have the disks you are searching for but on my TD1s there are holes that are a bit larger that you can use to accomodate the different hole patterns. If yours aren't like this you should be able to take it to a machine shop and they will be able to accomplish this for you. Does anyone see a problem with doing this?

Yeah oldvolvosrule, I was thinking about doing that. I do work at a machine shop and even have a aluminum wielder.

Better yet I run a computerize router that can cut up to 3/4" thick aluminum. I might even fabricate a new pair. I do have a 3 hole disc set for my other TD 1. I can use that as a template. I can draw up the specs on the computer and cut it out. I can even do the inner depth cut for the screws.

I figured just in case I buy another board that reguire the 4 hole. I have these.

Thanks for the call.:)