Note to New Members ×

Sizing for an all-mountain board

dshack

How big is too big for a 125lb guy? I'm set on moving up from a burton ultra prime 162 to something that holds a better edge in uneven snow, and floats a little better in powder. I'm looking at the likes of Donex axis, coiler AM, prior 4wd, and rad-air tanker, and was wondering what a good size would be for me. I know there's no one 'magic size,' but I was looking for a general guide as far as range goes.

Also: are the oxygen APX or proton worth looking into as all-mountain boards? What about the nidecker escape or tornado?

Also: are the oxygen APX or proton worth looking into as all-mountain boards? What about the nidecker escape or tornado?

Id say mid 160s to low 170s max.

Apex and Escape were intended for "all mountain" use. Proton and Tornado are race boards.

wish we saw more MLY "Signature Series." There's a 167 length that would be sweet for a lighter rider for an all-rounder.

If money were no object, I'd say call up Bruce @ Coiler and get a custom stick built to your weight.

Otherwise, it really depends on the brand and model. You can probably get away with a Tanker 172 since those are softer, but I wouldn't go longer than 162 with the Axxess since those are on the stiffer side. I can't speak to Prior 4x4 since I've not ridden one in a long while, and Coiler AM is all over the map, depending on the weight of the rider it was originally built for. My 172's are built for 190 pounds and would feel really stiff to you unless you're an elite rider, someone else's might be perfect.

How does a tanker carve compared to the axis/4wd/am holy trinity?

Like a ginsu knife. My 187 wide is my all mountain board, it is a better crud buster than my axxes.

Mario, I have no doubt this is true in typical Colorado conditions. Something a little quicker edge-to-edge would be beneficial for the poorer half of the conditions spectrum in Oregon.

Mario, I have no doubt this is true in typical Colorado conditions. Something a little quicker edge-to-edge would be beneficial for the poorer half of the conditions spectrum in Oregon.

That is correct Mike, we are a little spoiled out here, and I only take that board out on softer days. I didn't pay attention to where D-Shack was from,

my bad

mario

Coiler AM, it does what you want when you want. they do not care where you load them. the ultimate confidence builder.

the Axxess is a decent carver that is wide, more of a classic alpine board feel like the boards from the mid 90s but wider and extremley well built. A different animal from the coiler AM. over the past three years until I stepped up to metal boards my AM has been hands down the favorite, I've had four other carvers in that time so that says something. so now my next board is going to be a another coiler AM but with metal.

Tankers are my choice when I ride softboots

at your weight you are in the same catagory as me but at the other end of the spectrum, I weigh 260 so most decks are on the soft side for me.

This is where Bruce really can work some magic for you. I've gone custom with other builders but Bruce hit it right the first time.

Are there rules-of-thumb for sizing the different kinds of boards? I'm thinking of switching over and becoming a hardbooter but still absorbing all the info I can.

I'm 5ft 6in/160lbs and ride a Burton Custom 158 and people say it's too big for me. But people seem to buy carving boards that are longer than what they would get in softies. Help :biggthump

Are there rules-of-thumb for sizing the different kinds of boards? I'm thinking of switching over and becoming a hardbooter but still absorbing all the info I can.

I'm 5ft 6in/160lbs and ride a Burton Custom 158 and people say it's too big for me. But people seem to buy carving boards that are longer than what they would get in softies. Help :biggthump

Hi Loc

read this

I kinda giggled a little when you said people say a 158 is too big for you. Even as a freeride board that seems a bit small? Dunno...I rode a Morrow Revert 156 for quite a few years at 6/2" and about 190 or so...

Has anyone out there below 190lbs flexed a donek axis? Thor's got a damned tempting one in the classifieds...

There's a 159 4x4, too, but the SCR seems too short for it to be a real carver.

I've seen Buell crank some really hard turns on the 172 at about 145 pounds give or take. Buell is a strong rider who picked up the sport at light speed. He was riding with both aggression and precision that day. He was also better after a dozen days in hard boots than I was after 100 days. If you're in the same category that it just might work for you at 125 pounds. If not then it will probably be too much board for you... rideable but you won't have fun on it.

As a purely recreational carver (OK, I have done a couple of camps so I've had some coaching) with about 7 years of hindsight, it is my opinion that one of the best ways to hinder your progress in this sport is to ride a board that is too stiff for you.

Is 8.5m (Prior 4x4 159) too small a sidecut for real carving? Hell no. That's about the sidecut on a lot of SL boards. But it does mean lots of turning, and if you get going too fast in a stright line, getting back into carves without first skidding to slow down can be surprisingly tricky.

Most of the carving I've done over the last ten years has been on short radius boards until last years OES.The main thing I am looking forward to on the longer radius boards I now have is keeping up with other riders on long radius boards without bringing up the rear because I had to slow down to get some turns in.That said,short radius boards are hilarious fun on groomed steeps where gravity allows me to just drop into high intensity turns without the need for more than walking speed.Very hard to do on a long,speed oriented turn radius.Obviously flex,stiffness,torsional rigidity,rider skill all come into play too,but functional differences just make some things easier or harder.BTW I weigh 160 fully dressed to ride including boots and like boards that make me work a little harder,but change to an easier riding board when I'm worn out late in the day and still want some more turns.

Hi Loc

read this

I kinda giggled a little when you said people say a 158 is too big for you. Even as a freeride board that seems a bit small? Dunno...I rode a Morrow Revert 156 for quite a few years at 6/2" and about 190 or so...

I guess according to this guide the Custom 158 is too big for a freeride. I'm not sure what size All-mountain I should get given my body type and recreational goals. :shrug:

Gosh Mike :o!

dshack,

I expect your thinking that the 172 Axis will be too stiff for you is accurate. I also had a 169 Prior 4WD that was much more forgiving than the 172 Axis, you might be able to enjoy that one. At 125 pounds, if you are buying stock boards, you will likely need to go shorter to get a softer flex since board companies tie length to flex on stock boards. When you are able to get a custom board, you can have the builder soften up the flex on a longer board.

Yes, the 159 4WD will want to make a lot of turns. Keep in mind that your "fun go-anywhere board" and your board for GS turns are probably not going to be the same board. If you can only have one, you will need to compromise a bit (a 164 4WD while we are being specific?).

Enjoy, Buell

Ok, tapping the collective wisdom one last time. I'm basically ready to buy, and I've got a few options.

Nidecker escape 165

Donek olympic-core axxess 172 in a 167 flex and with a 24.5 waist

Prior 4x4 159, with a little custom stiffening

Donek axis 167

I'll be riding almost exclusively at mt hood, mostly carving on inconsistent grooming, though I like hitting the backside bowl as well. I'm 125lb with 23.5 boots. I've basically got a budget for one board. The big donek looks sexy, but it seems like with my small feet, it might be hard to control its width. I think I'm leaning toward the prior, because they basically get nothing but stellar reviews, but I'd grab the escape if someone thinks it's a better option. They've both got about the same sidecut and effective edge.

dshack, Ive got Buell's old 169 4WD and it is a great board. It carves like a slightly shorter race board, but works on anything.I would highly recommend one, but 159 sounds a little short. My 169 has about the same edge as my old 164 FP did, so I think a 164 would carve like a 160 racer.

Ok, tapping the collective wisdom one last time. I'm basically ready to buy, and I've got a few options.

Nidecker escape 165

Donek olympic-core axxess 172 in a 167 flex and with a 24.5 waist

Prior 4x4 159, with a little custom stiffening

Donek axis 167

I'll be riding almost exclusively at mt hood, mostly carving on inconsistent grooming, though I like hitting the backside bowl as well. I'm 125lb with 23.5 boots. I've basically got a budget for one board. The big donek looks sexy, but it seems like with my small feet, it might be hard to control its width. I think I'm leaning toward the prior, because they basically get nothing but stellar reviews, but I'd grab the escape if someone thinks it's a better option. They've both got about the same sidecut and effective edge.

Axis 172 - My wife has size 23.5 boots. She finds a 24.5 waits too wide *in softies at low angles such as 15/3*. The Axis 172 is way too wide for you in hard boots, take it off the list.

Axis 167 - search a few people on this forum own them, try searching for their comments... Allee and Bob Jenney.

Prior 4x4 159 - This year's 159 is designed for 110-175 pounds. How much is "a little stiffened"? When you are at the bottom end of the weight range, you either need to be a skilled rider or be ready to work it.

Nidecker Escape, sorry, can't tell ya anything about that one.

IMHO the Prior is the best choice among them, have you sold your UP yet? Keeping it and waiting for something else might be an even better choice perhaps?

If you come to OES '08 you should ask my wife if you can try her Coiler FC 165, which is built for 130 pounds.

Whoops, posted under Rebecca's BOL name. Let's try this again.

Axis 172 - My wife has size 23.5 boots. She finds a 24.5 waits too wide *in softies at low angles such as 15/3*. The Axis 172 is way too wide for you in hard boots, take it off the list.

Axis 167 - search a few people on this forum own them, try searching for their comments... Allee and Bob Jenney.

Prior 4x4 159 - This year's 159 is designed for 110-175 pounds. How much is "a little stiffened"? When you are at the bottom end of the weight range, you either need to be a skilled rider or be ready to work it.

Nidecker Escape, sorry, can't tell ya anything about that one.

IMHO the Prior is the best choice among them, have you sold your UP yet? Keeping it and waiting for something else might be an even better choice perhaps?

If you come to OES '08 you should ask my wife if you can try her Coiler FC 165, which is built for 130 pounds.

Mike's post nails it for me. I would highlight the idea that you might wait and see what else comes up. I support the Prior 159, but you do not need a stiffened anything. Maybe you can find a Prior 164 4WD.

<!-- / message --><!-- controls --> Buell

The escapes look like a good deal. I have found that used boards here are a great deal. I've never ridden one, but they look like my much loved Asym Air, only not asym. BUT! I got to tell ya, 4WDs rock. I prefer my longest race board for the conditions (traffic, etc.), but when the snow is wrong for those, I can still rip on the 4WD in anything.