Note to New Members ×

Isolating bindings from Titanal board.

cail

Thickness?

Sorry buddy, I ment to post it last post for ya, It about 3/16 I can't find my metric tape right now.

BlueB,

You sound like the guy to find out what the best commonly avalable materal may be, You mentioned lexon before, anything else? Just looking for function it is just a spacer really and the compresion force it receives is just hand turned screw pressure.

The only other info on the Plex I am using is the sku from home depot, it reads 7450799308

• Replies 99
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Dave it needs to be thick enough to disstribute the pressure over a larger area.

What do you mean trouble its like 10 bucks and may save your board from breaking and you getting hurt.

Since my income was $0.00 :biggthump last year I will still spent it.

I just looked at Catek they want 80 bones for a set

$80? for some PLASTIC? jesus

I mean more that the metal boards seem, IN MY OPINION kinda stupid for a recreational rider. The simple fact that you have to use spacers means there's a problem with board/binding compatibility and someone should work on it

I guess metal is "the s--t" but at $1000+ for a board that is fragile and needs all this special care I just think it goes beyond reasonable, kinda likea 285cm board.

yeah, mine cost like $13 to make

Mine after doing some research were a different name for lexan, it was polycarbonate if I remember correctly.

was right next to the plexiglass, the guy that cut said "watch this!" and started beating a sheet with a hammer

it only scratched

The materials are actually pretty cheap comparatively.Another plus,from what I've been reading, is added leverage which makes sense to me from what I remember about my old school carving days..On the Coiler 182am I don't plan to try it as I like to be as close to the board as possible for what I will use it for,ie all mountain and some air/tricks so I have f2 ti intecs on it..But I have a 185 oxygen proton and cateks that I want to try it with and then someday go to a metal board armed with more firsthand knowledge of how risers/flex plates affect my riding. p.s.bobdea,I know you dislike the protons (cap boards) from reading you opinions(which I respect),but I'm light and aggro and always liked Oxygen stuff so I bought it:)

$80? for some PLASTIC? jesus

I mean more that the metal boards seem, IN MY OPINION kinda stupid for a recreational rider. The simple fact that you have to use spacers means there's a problem with board/binding compatibility and someone should work on it

I guess metal is "the s--t" but at $1000+ for a board that is fragile and needs all this special care I just think it goes beyond reasonable, kinda likea 285cm board.

The durability of the metal board has gotten way better but its really some bindings are more likley to create a sharper pressure point then others. I really think we are just in a transition period, Metal had been used in skiis for so long it was easy to make metal boards.

The 4-hole mounting system is really the problem with the durability and option issue. Since most of the binding we ride were made premetal, There is really a niche that needs to be filled. The hangle helps but boards still break. Off course any board could break metal or wood. It used to be we broke alot of wood boards now we break alot of metal boards. It really is just that the metal can dent some thing glass could not do.

I'll even pay for the sheet as a joint venture if someone with some skill can cut me a couple of spacers.

the distributor near me carries Makralon sheet. i'm still trying to narrow down between 3 materials (makralon is one of them). after i talk to some plastics people to make sure i'm not missing anything, and get prices i'll let you know what i decide to go with if you're interested. heck if it's cheap enough i'll get 2 or all 3 to test.

You sound like the guy to find out what the best commonly avalable materal may be, You mentioned lexon before, anything else? Just looking for function it is just a spacer really and the compresion force it receives is just hand turned screw pressure.

The only other info on the Plex I am using is the sku from home depot, it reads 7450799308

Tried searching Home depos site with 3 codes you mentioned, nothing returned. I think something is wrong with their search engine...

Polycarbonate is the 1st choice. Lexan and Makralon are the trade names by different manufacturers. Should be easy to get.

2nd choice is high-molecular polyethilene or polypropilene (cutting board), that's why I asked if anyone has tried it.

It is elastic, doesn't break or buckle, stable at temperature and moisture changes. Takes compression loads no probs. Selflubricating, too. I made some mast bearings out of it and it performed way better than alu alloy counterpart.

It is easilly available and cheap. Downside: a bitch to cut and send. Melts on high teperature caused by friction (when cut by grinding or high-speed saw).

Teflon sheet would be great too. However it's more expensive and not so readilly available.

I'll research the matter a bit more...

Thanks you for your help I did some reading also it sure looks loke some thing better then the Plex I am using is in order.

Sounds like Bob found Polycarbonate at a local store. Home Depot Bob

I used to ride a board with polypropilene side walls it was so sick! They were always fast. I beleave its also the materal used on resort rails. ( in the park) Then we discovered how to tie die it it was neet.

Well part of the gig is we are trying to keep the board from bending around the binding and denting. So by adding the thicker plate (alltough it does not affect board flex) it allows the board something smooth and slippery to bend against. If its thick it helps the board bend more with out hinging becuase the binding if further away from the board. In a perfect world the board gets no disruption at all (hangle plate) so then there is no hinge or pressure point loading.

2nd choice is high-molecular polyethilene or polypropilene

those are basically the other two materials i want to look at..

1. polycarbonate (Makrolon or Lexan)

2. ultra-high molecular weight polyethylene (UHMW-PE)

3. Polypropylene copolymer

i think the Sflex is a rubber material with metal (titanal?) pieces inside.

you want to get the thickness right so that the stress distribution becomes uniform over the base area of the plate/riser.

Here is what I know from experience:

Polycarbonate is usually sold in 3 thickness in renovations stores:

3mm (1/8"), 4.5mm (3/16") and 6mm (1/4")

Cutting boards are made from HDPE, or high density polyethylene, very common plastic.

Acrylic http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polymethyl_methacrylate

HDPE http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/High_density_polyethylene

Polycarbonate http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polycarbonate

I also try and educate riders on metal boards about the new feel of metal under there feet and encourage all metal board riders to try softer boots and bindings if they have the chance.

I've witnessed the progression of boot/binding changes with our National Team. Riders there have made nearly a 180 degree change in their equipment. As metal boards progressed, some riders have gone from the stiffest DeeLuxe 'team only' boots (INDY and Lemans 325's) to standard INDY, then Suzuka, now Track 325's and Track 700's. Binding selection changed too. All metal construction has been replaced with what might be considered soft or more forgiving plastic and Titanal.

I consider myself privileged to be able to ride the latest COILER metal boards due to my friendship with Bruce, to have the financial means to buy a Hangl-Spirig, VIST and S-Flex just to play with, and have the industry connections to allow me to use boots of my choice. I can say with all conviction... softer is the way to go if you can afford it. It means the whole package, not just the board, or the bindings, or the boots.

Now you might ask what do I actually ride? How about this... a 5 season old COILER RC180II, standard construction, Raichle (yeah, Raichle!!) SB325 boots, and F2 INTEC™ Ti bindings. Soft? Nope but it works as a package. If I ever make the transition to a new Titanal board construction it will include an isolation plate system, standard bindings and boots with more flex.