Note to New Members ×

Raichle lean settings for racing

patmoore

For freeriding I usually leave the boots in the "walk" position because prolonged forward lean results in a serious case of quad burn. For racing (40 second GS course) would it make sense for me to rotate the knob 90 degrees? I think that keeps me the 1-3 range.

Also, where can I find a good online article on GS technique?

Pat Moore

if you ride with alot of lean all the time you will stop feeling the burn and will get stronger in the legs

given it takes away a good bit of your ability to suck up some of the rutted up stuff

just do not go over board on your front boot

Guest Randy S.

Kent, I'd love to see that content when you get it up. That'd be great. Your advice in the past has always been well thought-out and articulate.

Pat, Here's what I've found works for me. I ride with my front foot slightly upright (set to walk mode, pull back a bit on the boot cuff and release). In Raichle terms this has meant one notch down from the center. For my rear foot I angle slightly forward. In the middle or one notch up from the neutral setting. I find this lets me initiate the turns pretty well and gives good support. With both in walk mode I find way too much slop.

As for other techniques, I would urge you to go to Snowperformance's upcoming Carve Camp in BC. Mark Harris and Sean Cassidy are great coaches. If you tell them you want to work on race technique, that's what you'll get. Some things I learned at their camp this summer: Keep your shoulders level to the slope. They gave us a "boot top" drill to help with this. When turning heel-side, touch your rear hand (I'm goofy, that's left) to the top of your rear (again, left for me) boot cuff. Toe side, touch your other hand to your forward boot cuff. Other things that are critical. Always be looking ahead. 1-3 gates ahead. Plan your next turn and you'll be ahead of the game. Turning early (finish the turn before or at the gate, not after) will allow you to carry speed and be prepared for the unexpected. It also lets you avoid some of the ruts and chatter marks that typically appear at or below the gate.

There are lots of other tips you can find here an other places. Good luck and think fast!