Note to New Members ×

oneboot

b0ardski

these are my needs; boots 1, attachment system 2, toys 3 ; 1 vibram sole, flex forefoot for tele & hiking, DIN capable for any ski, bombproof lateral flex lockouts on both cuff rivets, race hard-to-park soft liners & external tongues. 2 intec style step-in heels, tele toe piece w/dampend flex to compensate for rigid boot sole. 3 all of them. DREAM BIG OR GO HOME :argue:

ive simply been dreaming of a hard/soft snowboard boot, one that fits hardboot bindings as well as softboot bindings is the main objective in mind. One that can be stiff enough for carving hard and soft enough for park and powder would be ideal.

Basically what ive found is that hardboots fit in softboot bindings except for the lean adjustment or BTS device, whichever you have. If there was some way to integrate this into the shell instead of having it extend past, youd have a boot that can fit all snowboard bindings. A slight modification of the boots footprint might be in order as well, but thats not really what limits a hardboot in a softboot binding. Another thing that needs to happen is the surface needs to be smooth, so the buckles have to "dissapear" for the system to work right.

I have been trying to find the one boot to do it all since i started riding in '88-'89 and have yet to find the perfect setup. I have ridden softies and plates and just could not find the happy medium for hiking and backcountry riding, but I have recently purchased Garmont Megarides and dynafit bindings for my ascent skis and td2's for my tanker as I did not want to have to carry a set of mountaineering boots as well as my softboots for a big trip I have been planning to south america next summer. My initial impression of the megarides is very good. I strapped one foot into the megarides and one into my vans fargo focus boots and strapped into the board to check flex and feel, Here are my thoughts:

The megarides are slightly heavier than my vans and if you have an extra set of tongues to modify you can actually make them more flexible than a conventional snowboard boot by removing material on the top half of the tongue and putting the straps in walk position (I will still use a standard tongue for riding, but for ascending the modified one will be used). The only negative thing is the side/lateral flex...and I am looking at a small modification to the cant device that should give me this movement and the sole length of the boots ( I wear mondo 28-28.5) and lower angles will leave some overhang. While I am not ready to get rid of my softboot setup (yet), the megarides and td2's with yellow rings might just be the answer to my needs of a boot that I can hike and ride anywhere with. I am also going to remove some material on my td2's to try and lighten them a little and will post more once I get a chance to ride the new setup.

yyzcanuck, that is close, but I would want a vibram sole for hiking and apparently the weight was an issue with that boot and I would also like to try to get them dynafit compatible for my ascent skis (up until this year that was limited to scarpa and garmont due to patent/legal issues, but from this year more companies can now use the dynafit system). I know that this is asking a lot, but it would sure be nice to have a more versatile boot, but I know that the market for a product like this is pretty small...but I can always dream.

YYZ,

Just an used sports gear swap shop.

Pebu,

Not comfortable at all - LeMans (which I didn't like at all) were way more comfortable. Migh be ok for someone narrow-footed.

Not Intec, some other step-in system.

SVR,

They do come with DIN heels too. Actually, while the snowboard versio is all sold out, there were still some DIN one kicking around last time I visited the place.

apparently the weight was an issue with that boot

I will not wear a 5 lb. plus boot if I can wear a sub-3 lb. boot that hikes better, and snowboards well, too. Backcountry users are being cheated by Deeluxe. The molds are 10 plus years old on the SB series, the plastic hasn't changed, while A/T ski boot tech is constantly improving. My mondo 26.5 Dynafit TLT4's with thermo liners are 2lb.14oz., the best I could do with SB123's was over 4 lbs. I like the short sole length of the SB series boot as compared to my Dynafits, the SB's do fine on a skin track ascending with a split, crampons do fit fine, but in the spring when I have to hike approaches, I am not going to schlep 8 plus pounds of boots on my back while wearing approach shoes, if I can hike it with lighter boots. Dynafits win.

yyzcanuck, that is close, but I would want a vibram sole for hiking and apparently the weight was an issue with that boot and I would also like to try to get them dynafit compatible for my ascent skis (up until this year that was limited to scarpa and garmont due to patent/legal issues, but from this year more companies can now use the dynafit system). I know that this is asking a lot, but it would sure be nice to have a more versatile boot, but I know that the market for a product like this is pretty small...but I can always dream.

the scarpa termanator X , has a dynafit toe & heel. it also fits standard AT's, & NTN tele's, & standard plates.:eplus2:

• 5 months later...