Note to New Members ×

Catek Importing Kessler

Mike T

Jumping on the band wagon. No new binding just following racers around and remaking what they make? Why not make a better race binding? 5mm plex cut into risers...... Come on, in the day of the super plate your selling the same plexi that most of us have gone to Home depot and been making for years......... Good luck running a high pressure point binding on any metal board....... I am glad Jeff is selling boards now perhaps it will help keep him in the alpine game!!! I know how many high end athletes run metal bindings on a metal board I sure wish he and scott would step up there product to match the needs of athletes not just copy what they know works?. Stiff metal binding manufacture selling soft supple metal boards, HA its like burton saying it supports racing, sure they give athletes offits but thats it! You can buy a kessler from catek but their binding just destroys the ride... maybe you could run there soft boot binding its stiffer than what most atletehs run in GS and SL....... Why sell the best board on the planet when you cant make it work well with your binding or its it to try and prove you can ride a metal board with cateks with all the mods. Just make a better binding???? Want to prove you commetment to racing make a race binding US athletes can ride and be competative on. Like a F2 plate.............And what happened to the Catek Donek commetment to make the best race system out there.... Gave up on donek and jumped on the kessler wagon? I rember being lectured by Scott at ECES about how metal was all wrong and Doneks olympic construction was the answer? Then when he broke a board he ran and hide it where no one could see it???? I then over heard him telling Dave morgen how Metal boards where weak etc..... with his broken donek backing him up?? Crazy..........

Just a crazy match??? I really Hope Jeff makes it work. Thoose Catek Guys are so far out of the loop latley, Making thicker rubber( silicone or whatever) after the few athlete clinging onto the binding had been telling them to do so for years. So perhaps Its time to go with some thing proven that works instead of a few crazy alpine engineers. Ideas that have stunted the sport. What happen to there surf rodz soft boot crap?

Arrrrggggghhhhhh why again does the sport stay in the same non evolving hands????????

I am calling Kessler some one lied to them about there commetment to alpine racing........

I also would not run any full metal binding on my kessler with out a hangle plate.

The fact that Scott told a Deaf athlete other wise last year and then went on to solve the obvious problem (via thicker padding and a copyied plex plate) of there binding breaking metal board after sending that athlete out on gear with out the fixes.... ( I even made plex plates for the guy becuase it scared me so much) that could have hurt them just soiled my taste of the catek prodect and there support team?

Wow, Bordy. I'm fairly certain that I've never been so wildly misrepresented in such a short and senseless space.

There is so little accurate substance in your comments that it is probably more responsible and effective to simply state my position rather than attempt to follow and rebut your thread.

- I'm as commited to the sport of snowboarding as anyone out there.

- I too have, in fact, gone out of my way to help hundreds if not thousands of riders get the most out of their equipment and experience. I would never intentionally misinform a rider, deaf or otherwise.

- CATEK is quite commited to developing technology that is optimized for the titanal boards that are dominant in racing, and increasingly popular for freecarvers. That was the genesis of our interaction with Kessler. We wanted to ensure that we had access to the equipment that racers were actually riding so that we could build a binding product tailored for the prevailing demands of professional and casual athletes.

- CATEK OS2 binding unit sales reached a new peak last season, so evidently some riders are quite pleased with the existing product even if you are not.

- I personally, and CATEK as a company, are stepping up to the plate as you term it. Interestingly though, developing new products does take time and substantial expense. Jeff and I are both paying the dollars and spending the time.

Regards,

Scott @ CATEK

Jumping on the band wagon. No new binding just following racers around and remaking what they make? Why not make a better race binding? 5mm plex cut into risers...... Come on, in the day of the super plate your selling the same plexi that most of us have gone to Home depot and been making for years......... Good luck running a high pressure point binding on any metal board....... I am glad Jeff is selling boards now perhaps it will help keep him in the alpine game!!! I know how many high end athletes run metal bindings on a metal board I sure wish he and scott would step up there product to match the needs of athletes not just copy what they know works?. Stiff metal binding manufacture selling soft supple metal boards, HA its like burton saying it supports racing, sure they give athletes offits but thats it! You can buy a kessler from catek but their binding just destroys the ride... maybe you could run there soft boot binding its stiffer than what most atletehs run in GS and SL....... Why sell the best board on the planet when you cant make it work well with your binding or its it to try and prove you can ride a metal board with cateks with all the mods. Just make a better binding???? Want to prove you commetment to racing make a race binding US athletes can ride and be competative on. Like a F2 plate.............And what happened to the Catek Donek commetment to make the best race system out there.... Gave up on donek and jumped on the kessler wagon? I rember being lectured by Scott at ECES about how metal was all wrong and Doneks olympic construction was the answer? Then when he broke a board he ran and hide it where no one could see it???? I then over heard him telling Dave morgen how Metal boards where weak etc..... with his broken donek backing him up?? Crazy..........

Just a crazy match??? I really Hope Jeff makes it work. Thoose Catek Guys are so far out of the loop latley, Making thicker rubber( silicone or whatever) after the few athlete clinging onto the binding had been telling them to do so for years. So perhaps Its time to go with some thing proven that works instead of a few crazy alpine engineers. Ideas that have stunted the sport. What happen to there surf rodz soft boot crap?

Arrrrggggghhhhhh why again does the sport stay in the same non evolving hands????????

I am calling Kessler some one lied to them about there commetment to alpine racing........

I also would not run any full metal binding on my kessler with out a hangle plate.

The fact that Scott told a Deaf athlete other wise last year and then went on to solve the obvious problem (via thicker padding and a copyied plex plate) of there binding breaking metal board after sending that athlete out on gear with out the fixes.... ( I even made plex plates for the guy becuase it scared me so much) that could have hurt them just soiled my taste of the catek prodect and there support team?

So what's the best binding to run on a metal board?

TD2 with suspension?

Will my F2 Intec Titanflex's do the job? Will the plastic base destroy the board?

Is this an issue with Coiler Metal boards that use a normal topsheet over the metal?

I'm very curious since I'm on the verge of going metal.

Cheers

We could ask rhetorical questions all day long... like, "why aren't you manufacturing bindings then?", but I won't. ;)

I personally do not understand why racers continue to use bindings that have a significant chance of catastrophic failure on any given run. I can't believe you're willing to bet your day, your season, or your career on this. Why not a strong binding with engineered flex, such as the TD2 with the extra suspension system along with a Hangl plate?

Binding bail wire or other structural load-bearing parts are the last places from which you want to get your flex.

I think you can read the disappointment in my post of the Catek Metal board interface. The fact that I see and it seem you agree there where and may still be bigger flaws in the metal base plate direct contact binding plus the use of a Plex riser to help distribute the force also is help full I am not knocking your attempts to improve the metal binding, metal board interface. But you and Jeff are smart cookies, I really hoped you guys would make it happen I am stoked you have boards to work with as I mentioned I think Kesslers are the best RACE stick on the planet. But I really hoped you guys were thinking out side the box. Using the out side inserts……… I love what your binding does on wood boards, Always have….Pimp it out to riders on wood boards all the time. I really didn’t think I need to candy coat it I sell it at hardbooter so We have ridden the crap out or it. But I saw what happened on metal boards with your binding in particular on several manufactures metal product. And when I meet a athlete who was riding the sister board to what I had raced on had. I saw he was riding Cateks and could see the imprint and “dent” that is a precursor to board failure on any metal board. I pointed it out. He told me he spoke with you. And was told not to worry, but he was several pounds heavier then the rider the board was built for, and I made him Plex plates that night since he was about to compete in the deaf Olympics. A race that was probably important to him. He new you by name? That bummed me out, and I was disappointed in you or who ever at catek (again he used your name) told him he should not worry or take precautions. When You and I talked about it at ECES? I was not bummed about catek just you. My wife rides your binding, I tried to ride your binding at the national level we like cateks on wood boards.

And you seemed to know so much about progression I really hoped your spacer would be mechanical and help dampen.

How do you feel currently? Is it “safe” to use the thin support ring directly on a metal stick? Or do you recommend the Plex spacer also?

I hope you understand this is me the snowboarder speaking over here on the Bomber Forum about all metal point binding Fin is the only guy who has ever ridden Bombers “with the suspension kit” mounted with out plex plates on any of my Kesslers. I think everyone who rides metal boards knows to not mount any binding on the board. I see the Catek solution as a bit disappointing as a consumer. I am being honest.

I know as always my writing always make me seem so harsh, but that is not my intention. I am just throwing my opinion down. And trying to be blunt.

But I am a bit Bummed and its easy to see in my writing that you and Jeff aren’t rocking some new school plate and binding combo. You have all the tools!

Does it bum me out that for 08 the Catek binding is still the same idea as the tried and true world cup from a decade ago. No not at all there are a ton of riders who will love it as always.

Does it bum me out that Catek is pimping the most modern badass RACE stick ever with the same tried and true world cup binding from a decade ago. Yea it does. I wanted a plate with some thing better then the same old wood board binding.

Dude I ride super boards and as a consumer want the best damn SYSTEM out there. I just hoped Catek was going to step up and make it happen.

It sounds to me like you guys are going to try and do better and that’s way cool.

Was I bummed about the guy at the race of his life. YUP.. that’s the only personal part of my post.

The rest is all me wanting more from every binding company. Fin gets an earful from me also. But I never see you guys. I really wanted a system for a metal race board like what guys are win world cups on.

I watched what athletes on metal bindings did with them when metal boards came out, I now see a totally different system on the world cup and now even doen to the USASA level.

How many riders run F2s or even out dated Burtons on Kesslers VS Cateks or bombers or even phokkias. And what about direct toe and heel mount to the plate? Again I'll candy coat it You and Jeff are Smart guys make it happen. I say the same thing to Fin but I don't call him smart cuz he blushes and stuff.....

We could ask rhetorical questions all day long... like, "why aren't you manufacturing bindings then?", but I won't. ;)

I personally do not understand why racers continue to use bindings that have a significant chance of catastrophic failure on any given run. I can't believe you're willing to bet your day, your season, or your career on this. Why not a strong binding with engineered flex, such as the TD2 with the extra suspension system along with a Hangl plate?

Binding bail wire or other structural load-bearing parts are the last places from which you want to get your flex.

Jack you know I am just to busy playing to want a job, I'll leave that to you guys!

Thats my point, I am not racing any more but I want a system I can trust! Athough I'll still go out on my F2s....

Some thing I can Ride my hardest on and never think about it failing!

It sucks that I have to still look at skiis ant want that shiznit. also!

Torsion rods and true flex binding systems on tracks and stuff!

I want that Crap On My 1500 dollars Metal "Super" snowboard. To go with my Super hard boots!

Bomber And Catek are our local binding guys wheres the action for us new school Metal board free ride guys on any shape and for the Local Level racer up!!!

I don't want to buy stuff from Europe and sell it here in the US I want Catek and Bomber to Make the top notch Shiznit here and when it comes to metal boards I just see a lot of room for inprovments!!

Its BS that Boots from Deeluxe are almost the same as a decade ago!

Its BS that bindings are very close to the same as always???

Its BS that alpine guys are still using 4 hole patterens?

Its BS that every one doesn't live where they want a 200+cm board...

Still us a Plex spacer like the one from Catek, Or you can make your own from stuff at home depot. Lowes etc. Any place the binding makes contact with the snowboards flex pattern is a possibility for the metal to indent while receaving pressure at that binding point. Its the dent that weakens the shear and torsional strength and allows the board to fail.

Any metal baseplate binding on any metal board should have a plate and or increased damping materal between it and the board. F2 race Cateks Bombers. Several plastic plate or composite bindings are ok but are usally weak binders any how.

Billy -

you seem all fired up! you didn't get hurt again did you??????

Hope all is well -hopefully we'll hook up again this year...maybe natioals, hopefully before...

-Noah

Just haven't been over to Bomber in a bit. Just mad that I have to ride the same gear as always I want some new school stuff for everyone!!!

I always forget that BOL is Different from the RACE scene.... its the ALPINE action over here.

Plus there hasn't been much wind.......

For what it's worth, I received this e-mail from Dean Thompson @ Prior right after I ordered my '08 WCR Metal with the same question:

TD2’s with softest e-rings and F2 Titaniums are the preferred bindings for metal race boards and should protect you from any delaminations in the binding area. I recommend you avoid hitting objects with the sidewall of your board as the metal may chip as a result. If/when you see any chips on your sidewall take care to file them down as early as possible to avoid this metal catching on anything. Our new 08 metal boards (like the one you have) is our strongest metal boards yet and if treated properly should last several seasons.

Have fun and enjoy the ride.

Dean

604-935-1923

www.priorsnowboards.com

www.priorskis.com

Built right... in Whistler

As a side note, so far I am very impressed with Prior in terms of response and customer support. Dean was great to work with. Can't wait to get some time in on their product.

I should qualify my previous post with the fact that I informed him (Dean) that these were the two bindings that I would most likely be using on the deck before I received this e-mail. I DO NOT know what his or Prior's opinion is on any other binding mfg when applied to their metal product.

If/when I ride TD2s on my metal deck, I WILL be using softest e-ring WITH the suspension kit. F2s will likely be my first choice.

I do wish Catek all the best in this new venture and hope/expect good things in their product development as they receive feedback from both recreational and pro-level riders.

Sure Glad I got my new Coiler Schtubby X2 coming.. Its soft and chewy metal on the inside with a hard shell candy coating on top!! :lurk:

They rock!

Right Said Shred

COILER SCHTUBBY X2?????

Shred,

What did you and Bruce come up with now this year.........

Can you eat, fly or board this th....... :smashfrea :o :lurk:

Bordy,

Dude, you need to take a deep breath before posting. Then re-read the post before you press the "Submit Reply" button. I know you can't spell, that's no big deal. But its hard to follow your logic sometimes with all the typos, missing words and repeated words. Take it from one who has learned his lessons regarding unintentionally inflammatory posts.

You make some good points. It would be great to have some sort of free-flex system like we see on some alpine ski bindings. I suppose more damping wouldn't hurt either. But we did get a new TD a few years ago and I love it. Way better build quality than the crappy F2 Titanflex I had before. If I read it correctly, the plexiglass plate that Catek is now selling only serves the purpose of protecting the metal boards from metal bindings, right? No vibration absorption or claims of better transfer of energy into the edge? Do Hangl plates to more? Can we even buy Hangl plates anywhere?

Anyway, you know that flaming posts written in haste always get you in trouble, and come off as much more vitriolic than you intended. Deep breath dude. :)

My new metal Coiler Freecarve is done, just awaiting a top sheet. I hadn't even thought about a problem with bindings until I read this thread. I was planning to install my F2 Titanium Race plain vanilla. Now I'll have to consider a spacer.

Bordy, when you say "Plex", what material are you referring to?