Note to New Members ×

Your experience when switching to hardboots.

Phil

How was your switch to hardboots?  

111 members have voted

1. 1. How was your switch to hardboots?

• I was a skidder and the transition was difficult.
    • I was a skidder and the transition was easy.
    • I was a carver and the transition was difficult.
    • I was a carver and the transition was easy.

I don't understand how any snowboarder goes in the trees with confidence WITHOUT a hardboot setup.

Maybe my old softie setup sucked worse than most when I was a kid, but I just don't trust the response of a soft setup when I need to make some tight quick moves in the trees.

My Solomon Burner 172 is heaven is the powder with hardboots. It floats and I don't have to exaggerate every motion to get it to turn in the deep -especially on toe side like you would have to in soft gear.

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I found the transition from ski boots to snowboard boots took a couple of tries - the early hard snowboard boots were way too soft.

Interesting thread though.

(Soft boots... I only tried the suckers after about 10 years on hard so it's perhaps unfair to judge. United lost my boards and I had to hire the best gear I could find. The boots were professionally fitted, but they just wrecked my feet and legs. Sure I could ride with the strappy/ lacy things, but I could just as easily unbuckle my hard boots if I wanted a sloppy interface.)

• 2 years later...
For me it was just a natural progression. My first soft boot setup felt too sloppy to me. So I switched to some Burton Torque bindings with a third strap over the shin bone and felt better. But I still felt like I wasn't able to hold as good an edge as I would like. Then I saw a friend with hard boots on a snow board. Started on hard boots and never looked back!

I will admit though that I didn't relly make great gains until I hooked up with Bomber and the community here.

I rode flexy & free for a couple years then saw bought and LOVED a new stiff as it got back then for a softy setup, Burton Aysm Air, Comp Boots & Torque bindings.

Kept cranking them angles and digging the carve. I "thought" all was good until I went in a new-to-me shop one summers day and saw a Aysm Alp 7.0 w/ race plates mounted up and a pair of Reactor boots.

I went home and noodled on it for about two hours, went back to the shop and brought it all home for 50% off list.

I spent a good portion of that summer "visualizing".

Fell in :1luvu: on the first run and never saw another hardbooter for my first two seasons.