Note to New Members ×

Newbie question

drzrm

OK, before I pull any triggers here. I'm looking at a few Donek Axxesses that are available, because I do think the FC 1 is going to be too thin to learn on (and maybe to ride ever, but I'll wait and see). There is a 172 with a 21.5 waist (standard build) and a 182 with a 22.5 waist (it was a custom, Donek stiffness 7.7). As I said before I'm an experienced rider, and I''m 6'3" 230. My wide All Mountain/Free Ride Burton Baron ES is a 172. Is 182 going to be too long to learn to carve on (I'll admit that's what I'm leaning towards, just so you know)? Will 172 seem too short once I get comfortable on it.

From what I've read, I get the feeling that the Axxess might be the board I'll stay on for the foreseeable future. I know you all can't make this decision for me, but any advice will be appreciated. I wish I'd asked before I got the FC 1 (though it really was a good deal, and someday maybe I'll be ready to carve with my feet basically pointed forward).

Thanks, sorry for all the annoying questions. I thought about calling Sean to ask him his opinion and explain that once I got it figured out and know what I need, I'll buy a new one from him, but I figured he had better things to do this time of year.

BTW, anyone looking for a used Donek FC 1 179? ;)

Don't forget, people here talk a lot about longer boards like everyone rides one, but it's not the case. A too long board is going to be harder to start on. So I say a 172 Axxess may be OK for you. When it gets crowded and you ride a 180+, you wish you had something smaller.

• 2 weeks later...

Derf,

I appreciate the advice, but I decided that the extra CM of width in the waist on Mort's custom Axxess (22.5 instead of 21.5) more than makes up for the extra length on the board (182 over 172). It really doesn't seem all that long, my soft board was a 172.

Anyway, I laid everything out on the living room floor and I think I can get my angles to about 45 deg rear and 50 front without overhang (30.5 Burton Furnaces are pretty big). I'm waiting on a donek topsheet protector from Sean before I put it all together as I'm using TD1s. Now I just can't wait for some snow out here.

Anyway, thanks for all the good advice. Looking forward to meeting the New Englanders this winter and getting more of it.

Best,

Zach

Don't forget, people here talk a lot about longer boards like everyone rides one, but it's not the case. A too long board is going to be harder to start on. So I say a 172 Axxess may be OK for you. When it gets crowded and you ride a 180+, you wish you had something smaller.