Note to New Members ×

Head Stratos Pro - Mold/Footbed or Not?

eaglez

Hey everyone patiently (or not) waiting for the white season to start. I just picked up a nearly new, unmolded or modified pair of Head Stratos Pro boots. Size 30. I have read throught the miles of postings on this subject but I just want a couple of things clarified.

The boots fit great, done the 2 finger test on the shells, sufficient toe space etc. But there is a pressure point right at the arch of my foot over the second buckle. Wore them while watching TV last night for a few hours but that point was still there. Went to one of the local Snowboard shops today and asked about the bootfitters art and what it cost to have them do a pair that I didn't buy from them. He wasn't the guy that actually does the fitting but he said that wearing them acheives the same result as heat molding them. It just takes longer. Does that sound accurate to you all? I realize that I need to get a new pair of custom footbeds, my old ones are getting pretty ratty. And I will get those made, just wondering if I should mold at the same time or not?

Thanks in advance.

D. :biggthump

Just to clarify. You don't "cook" these liners like you do Thermoflex. Most shops have the hot air injection things for the Head boots (like a fancy inverted hair dryer). Put the boots on there and mold them.

I'm a big fan of custom insoles, but if you are close, and stable with the stock ones, or some off-the-shelf ones, that may do. For the instep pressure, if molding them doesn't do it, you can cut off the small flap of material that connects the two sides of the liner, at the base of the tongue. It doesn't make a lot more room, but may help just enough. You might also try sticking a small thin piece of rubber or foam to the top of your foot, right where the pressure point is, when you put your feet into the heated liners. Put the thin rubber directly on your skin, then put a sock over it to keep it in place. Kind of like you would do with toe caps for thermoflex or injected liners. Also double check the inside of the shell where the pressure point is to make sure there isn't a rivet that's not smooth enough, or some sort of excess plastic on the shell.

If none of those things works, you can always punch out the shell a little, or grind the inside of it where the pressure point is. The shop I've had do work on my Head boots feels very comfortable doing work on the shells, since they are basically the same construction as ski boot shells.

eaglez,

I bought a pair of Stratos Pros at the end of last season. There was a pressure point that was in what sounds like the same spot you're describing, on both boots. The fellows I bought the boots from said that it was somewhat common with this boot. They punched that spot on both boots and heat molded the liners. Problem solved. Your mileage may vary.

-Mark

home molded are better than nothing just not great, with a thermoflex such as what comes in the deeluxe boots they are just fine due to the total moldability of the liner but I'd not go that route with semi moldable liners like the heads have unless you have a little experience fitting your own stuff