Note to New Members ×

Southern Ontario Session 2008

csquared

Doc: Gate virgins are welcome at the Masters Race. I will make sure there is lots of time for practice runs and course inspection.

Others: Gabe Tung and I will be car-pooling from the King Sideroad exit of Hwy 400. There is a commuter lot there where you can leave your car. I have a 4Runner with a cargo box so there is room for 3 more. If anyone else wants to join us and share gas expense, let me know with an email.

We will be leaving at 6:45 sharp.

Oshawa racing on Saturday, is it open to gate virgin? I'd love to try gates but never done it before on board or skiis.

PS: the 'Dr' thing is only for when I go to bank for a loan! Not even used in the office!!

I just re-read your post and wanted to clarify.

If by "Saturday", you meant the Feb. 3 race which was posted on the AOS website, it has been moved to Feb. 10. That race is an open recreational race for all ages.

The Masters race I was referring to is on Friday, February 8 at Oshawa. It is for age 25 and over. No kids to make us look bad.

Doc: Gate virgins are welcome at the Masters Race. I will make sure there is lots of time for practice runs and course inspection.

Others: Gabe Tung and I will be car-pooling from the King Sideroad exit of Hwy 400. There is a commuter lot there where you can leave your car. I have a 4Runner with a cargo box so there is room for 3 more. If anyone else wants to join us and share gas expense, let me know with an email.

We will be leaving at 6:45 sharp.

Hey Henry, would love to car pool with you guys, i will email you with the details.

thanks.

I just re-read your post and wanted to clarify.

If by "Saturday", you meant the Feb. 3 race which was posted on the AOS website, it has been moved to Feb. 10. That race is an open recreational race for all ages.

The Masters race I was referring to is on Friday, February 8 at Oshawa. It is for age 25 and over. No kids to make us look bad.

I'll try to make it for the Feb 8, as I am currently off that day. And I'm over the hill (at least the 40 hill).

Its great to see such a large group.

We hope to join you at Osler on Friday. We have extended family who can sign us in.

Allison & Paul Dal Bianco.

Its a shame that Osler is not as accomodating as Mansfield. Gord set a course last Friday for our Men's Day and we ran gates all morning - before the beer.

Its not that Osler is completely unaccommodating when it comes to doing snowboard gates. However, ski racing just seems to eclipse everything else at the club. This means that more and more hill space is dedicated to ski events precluding boarding events. There is also very very little interest in snowboard racing among kids and adults. Certainly there is no critical mass of people to get any kind of momentum going.

For mid-week days, we need to bring on race staff to run any races on the hill. The liabilities are too significant to have people setting their own courses and running them. These days there is netting set up at the edge of the hill for even the most modest races and some training courses.

Who is jjfarb? Do I have you on the list? If not, you're too late unless you have some other member that will sign you in.

Its not that Osler is completely unaccommodating when it comes to doing snowboard gates. However, ski racing just seems to eclipse everything else at the club. This means that more and more hill space is dedicated to ski events precluding boarding events. There is also very very little interest in snowboard racing among kids and adults. Certainly there is no critical mass of people to get any kind of momentum going.

For mid-week days, we need to bring on race staff to run any races on the hill. The liabilities are too significant to have people setting their own courses and running them. These days there is netting set up at the edge of the hill for even the most modest races and some training courses.

Who is jjfarb? Do I have you on the list? If not, you're too late unless you have some other member that will sign you in.

Chris, that is the case at all clubs (skiing taking primacy over snowboarding). I can't blame the clubs, it's all about the numbers of participants.

As far as interest in racing goes, without the exposure or opportunity, it is difficult to build interest. During your club races, do they welcome snowboarders? If not, why not pitch them on having a snowboarder category?

If you run a snowboard race under the AOS banner, insurance is covered. Plus we have all the equipment and volunteers for course setting and running the race. We can talk more on Friday.

We actually have a recreational snowboard race series that has typically been run 3 times a year but this year there are only 2 races. At the end of the year there is a club snowboard race. So 3 snowboard specific races is not bad for the level of participation.

You will never convince the skiers to accept stubbies for their courses so that the boarders can use them. Likewise, you will never convince the boarders to run race courses with skiers (there is just to much seriousness and testosterone flowing, they are no fun at all and alienate the relaxed fun and comraderie that is at the core of boarding and board racing; I know: I grew up ski racing). Even I would not run a ski course: the ruts just get to hairy on a board. So I'm afraid they will always be two solitudes. And this is what marginalizes board racing.

We have held a few AOS races in the past. Peter Jones used to organize them when he was doing AOS stuff. Maybe I need to make something happen. I will speak to Peter about it.

The club accepts credit at the ticket office and at the food services in the main and Orchard Lodges as well as the bar in the main lodge. The Upper Chalet where we are going to have lunch does not have any data network so it has a cash register in lieu of a POS unit - in other words, bring cash for lunch or you'll be sharing mine.

Chris:

Are you out any money or do you get put on double secret probation or anything if your guests don't show?

HK

Barrie - Collingwood - Hillsdale

3:47 PM EST Thursday 31 January 2008

Snowfall warning for

Barrie - Collingwood - Hillsdale issued

Snow heavy at times is expected across all of southern and eastern Ontario with a possibility of freezing rain and ice pellets along lakes Erie and Ontario on Friday.

A low pressure area over Arkansas is getting organized and setting its sights on southern Ontario. As the low moves east across the southern states then curves northeast towards the Ohio Valley tonight it is expected to tap into a lot of moisture and energy from the gulf of Mexico. As a result it is likely that this low will intensify into a significant winter storm as it moves into southern Ontario later tonight and Friday.

Latest indications show the potential for significant amounts of snow from this deepening low as it tracks northeast just south of lakes Erie and Ontario towards New England by Saturday. This type of winter storm often has a swath of 15 to 30 centimetres of heavy snow associated with it. Freezing rain and ice pellets will also be a problem as the storm centre gets close to the lower Great Lakes. If the storm tracks slightly further north an increase in the duration of ice pellets could significantly lower snowfall amounts especially near lakes Erie and Ontario.

The leading edge of the snow is expected to reach the Windsor and Sarnia areas tonight then spread rapidly northeast across the remainder of the district reaching the Ottawa area Friday morning. Latest analyses suggest the heaviest snow swath may extend from Lake St Clair northeast across the London Kitchener and Golden Horseshoe areas into eastern Ontario including the national Capital region Friday. Ice pellets and freezing rain may also be an issue to contend with generally in regions near and southeast of highway 401. Exact snowfall amounts and the location of ice pellets and freezing rain will depend upon the exact track of this developing storm. It is also possible if the storm centre tracks further north than expected that there could be a changeover to rain Friday especially in areas near eastern Lake Erie and over Prince Edward county.

Travellers should be prepared to alter plans accordingly again as driving conditions once again will deteriorate significantly on Friday.

This storm has the potential to be quite significant and have high impact especially if heavy snow develops.

Please refer to the latest public forecasts for further details.

You're not going to let a little snow stop you?

Truthfully, there is no jeopardy if people do not show tomorrow. It would be perfectly understandable under the weather circumstances. I am not on the hook for anything so don't feel that you must show up.

It is looking like it may be a sub-optimal day for both riding and driving. However, we could get a lot of valuable drinking done:smashfrea

Nothing H said in the warning says it will have disasterous effects on the Collingwood area. Only the Toronto area. Oh ya, ya'll are coming from down that way :lol:, I'm from Barrie. :biggthump

I thought all you Toronto folk drove those big, snow eating SUV's. I know I do and a little snow and adventurous driving never hurt anyone. Well, maybe someone, but usually the stupid people on the road. :AR15firin

See you all there! :D

D.:biggthump

I will also be missing this one one I think, not a safe drive from my area. Its not the drive there, its the drive home while im tired and sore. Its a 2.5 hr drive in good conditions. Ill see what the radar looks like in the morning.

Click:

http://www.weatheroffice.gc.ca/radar/index_e.html?id=WKR

Check the radar in the morning before you blow off the day.

The media has a nasty tendency of blowing every storm up to be the apocalypse around the corner! If there are no conflicts to report that day, it becomes "THE STORM OF THE CENTURY"

And this one very well might be, but too many times I have listened to the weatherman and altered plans only to find out that their sophisticated tracking equipment F'd up on the outcome, AGAIN!

See ya there!

D.:biggthump

I hope everyone had a good time and made it back safely. We (Gabe, Jacky and I) wimped out. John Vu made it to our rendevous point but didn't find us so turned around.

I looked on the webcams and the weather didn't look too bad in Collingwood but it was pretty nasty near home.

I hope some of you can make it out to the Masters race next Friday (Feb. 8) so we can ride together.

That goodness for Aunt Louise. We stayed at her condo Thursday night and just had to drive from Barrie in to Osler.

The first few runs were magical. Powder! It was like surfing in the orchard.

By the end it was really choppy and hard work.

Thanks to Chris for organizing us all and to yyzcanuck (Andrea and Dave) for the snacks that got us back to Barrie without starving.

Great to see everyone again. Can't wait till next year!