Note to New Members ×

Southern Ontario Session 2008

csquared

Mark your calendars: Friday, February 1, 2008. Once again, this is an open invitation to a one day event at the Osler Bluff Ski Club to join the core of the Southern Ontario carving community. All ability levels are welcome but we do try to restrict the list to the alpine community. Its a great chance to meet or get back together with dedicated alpine riders on great terrain with excellent grooming. The last three sessions were a blast and this one should be no exception.

I will be posting more details as we get closer to the event but this is to give you all a heads-up so that you can book the day off (or at least prepare your alibi). So block the spot in your calendar and I will look forward to seeing you there.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Okay gang, I said I would follow-up with details so here they are. Notwithstanding a the severe beating the hills took from last week's thaw, most of the club terrain is still ridable and all three lifts were open last weekend with reasonably good conditions (granular over an icy base). The weather forecasts look favourable over the next week so I am optimistic that we will once again have a great day on February 1.

The drill is the same as it was last year and the year previous. Arrive at the Osler Bluff Ski Club at 8:15-ish. For directions to the club check here. If you are coming from Toronto, the simplest way is to take the 400 to Barrie and get off on the Dunlop Street West exit (96B). Take Simcoe Road 90 to Simcoe Road 10 (second light as you are coming into Angus). The balance of the directions are on the Osler web site at the link above. Collect and pay for your ticket at the ticket office window which is located in the breeze-way under the Main Lodge as you approach from the parking lot. You will have to sign a waiver form at that time. I have called our group "Southern Ontario Carvers" (to keep it innocuous-sounding) and you should say that you are part of this group when you arrive. Your name should be on a list that I will provide to the club. If for some reason you are unable to show up, it will not be a big problem but we will miss you just the same.

If you are late and you have an FRS radio, I will be riding with mine tuned to 7-7 and you should be able to track us down that way. Otherwise, we will try to start the morning at the south end of the club on the Orchard chair. This will give everyone a chance to warm up a bit on blue or green runs (if you have not managed to get out yet this year). Exhibition and Valley run under the chair and are prime terrain so if you can get to this lift, you're bound to find us.

Once again I have booked the Upper Chalet as our lunch rendezvous. I am suggesting that we aim for 11:45 as our lunch hour. This will give everyone an early break from the morning's exertions and let us get back out while most of the skiers are still in for lunch. Bring a bag lunch or buy it from the food service. There is no bar at the Upper Chalet but I think this will not be a problem for most of us. About 3:00, the light will be getting flat and so will the energy levels so we should meet at the Main Lodge, change out of boots, and enjoy some apres socializing at the bar upstairs. Once again, the nibbles will be on your friends at YYZ Canuck.

If anyone is inspired to do photography or videos, please bring your equipment. There are a few good locations on the hill.

Here is the list of attendees (or at least people who have not definitely said no):

Gabe Tung

Rob Sydia

Andrea Morgan

Dave Morgan

Chris Houghton

John Hevesi

Bruce Varsava

Leslie Varsava

Henry Kim

Rob Cox

Monique Cox

Victor Plopeanu

Peter Halsall

John O'Brien

Rob Smith

Darren Eagles

Dr. Zone

Mike McNally

Definite No's

Greg Marsden

Arthur Tateishi

Let me know as soon as possible if you are planning to come but you are not on the list above. Also please let me know if you are on the list but not able to make it. Once again, I am trying to offer this event to all in the hard-booting brethren and sisterhood. I would love to accommodate all your loved ones on skis too but I am trying to keep the numbers reasonable so leave them home (you'll have more fun in any case).

See you all there.

Guest keith hodgins

My son and I are both new at hardbooting and would like to attend. I was talking to some other alpine snowboarders at Moonstone and they will probably also be sending e-mail soon. Thanks for organizing this!

Cheers,

Keith and Stewart

Not to be repetitious but I need names if you are considering coming to SOS,

There are a few that have expressed interest above but I need something more concrete. Who are you and are you coming:

pandt

rocketman

canuckcarver

galacticspaceboy

You can e-mail me from the profiles section of this site if you are shy about divulging your real name on line.

Does anyone have a spare set of standard bindings they can lend out for Friday's session? Keith (a newbie to carving) will be attending but is currently short a set of intec heels for his step-in set-up. (Apparently they're sold out everywhere.) I suggested someone might have a set of standard bindings he could borrow for Friday. Otherwise, he'll be stuck with his softie set-up while his son Stewart will be on plates with the rest of us.

I'm sending this on his behalf as his internet access is down.

Thanks,

Gabe

Got an old pair of beginner F2 that are quite soft but should work. It fits 26 mondo for sure, not sure how big it goes. If interested let me know and I'll bring them along. Also, since it's a beginner F2, the angles can't be set very accurately.

For those of you who want to run gates:

A reminder that AOS has a Masters race on the following Friday, Feb. 8. The race takes place at Oshawa Ski Club which is just off Hwy 35/115, about 10 minutes north of the 401.

We have categories for anyone over the age of 25.

This is a very friendly and relaxed race. Come on out.

I had solicited responses to have a 'fun' race course set up but I think I only had one positive reply so it died. The cost would have been $350 split among us and it would have been in place for about 1 1/2 hrs complete with race staff, timing, etc.. These are usually set up for corporate groups (presumably to further enshrine the pecking order in the office).

I think the pleasure of riding together would make the day for me. The course would just have been an opportunity for someone to get hurt (as likely me as anyone).

If you are still thinking about attending SOS 08, you are too late. I am closing the list tonight because I am way past my allocation for the day. Also I am going to be on the road for the next two days and unable to manage the organizing so I am submitting the list below to the club.

Please let me know if you are not coming.

List of Guests ‘08

Tony Boros

Doug Barlow

Mike Cividino

Chris Couse (coordinator / host member)

Jeff Cooper

Rob Cox

Darren Eagles

Peter Halsall

Justin Hines (maybe)

Keith Hodgins

Stewart Hodgins