Note to New Members ×

WTB: nice winter jacket

Gleb

Mine got shredded last year. Looking for a new or barely used high end Arc'teryx, Karbon or north face. I'm looking more at the Arc'Teryx Scorpion, Sidewinder, or Theta, but will also take other suggestions.

Thanks.

edit: forgot to mention i need a large.

glebster check sierra trading post, lots off good ****e on the cheap but I really gotta say that any half decent shell will do it if you have decent layering skills

you could spend the extra money on a s-flex or hangl or maybe some softboots

dumping too much dough on outerwear is rediculous, there is sort of a point of diminishing returns with a price to performance ratio that hits really hard around $150 retail for a jacket and 200ish for pants.

that said arc'teryx is some good **** even their low end.

maybe check out mountain hardwear, moonstone and a couple others too

cheapandsteep.com, backcountry.com, gearengine.com

cheap has them go by at 61 percent off every so often

backcountry always has some great buys at 40 or 50 percent off

http://www.backcountryoutlet.com/outlet/subcat/20/c11/Mens-Jackets.html#app=brand%7E187+price%7E+sortby%7E+cat%7E11+subcat%7E20+group%7E+offset%7E+on_sale%7E+brand_page%7E

gearengine is a 24 hour auction site, items change every four minutes, new and used gear

if you are patient you will get a great deal at cheapandsteep

good hunting

They (Backcountry.com) was very smart to buy cheapandsteep.com also.

"SAC" as most addicted users call it , is actually http://www.steepandcheap.com

Plenty of 100$ 80% off killer jackets there.

They (Backcountry.com) was very smart to buy cheapandsteep.com also.

"SAC" as most addicted users call it , is actually http://www.steepandcheap.com

Plenty of 100$ 80% off killer jackets there.

Be careful. A steepandcheapaddiction is hard to shake. It encompasess year round outdoor gear. It's real hard to turn down an $80 jacket that normally retails for $300+

J

Oh no, you'll create another monster with a steepandcheap habit!

Two of the sites I use are www.geartrade.com (which I think is another backcountry site) and www. outdoorgearswap.com. OGS is the Canadian site that's attached to MEC, but they have a lot of Arc stuff on there from private sellers.

Maybe keep an eye out for local ski swaps too. I went to the Calgary ski sale last night, disappointing on the used snowboard side but some of the clothing was awesome. I was regretting that I completely kitted out at the end of last season. Also, now is a great time to hit the sports shops and ski shops for last season's runouts. I scored a $400 Burton down jacket for $96 last weekend at Mission, and they had $500 Columbia Titanium jackets at Coast Mountain for $240. Not to mention the sample sales at Ski Cellar - 50% off this seasons Salomon soft shell gear ... nooooooo ... make it stop ......

oh i've known about sac for quite some time now, since the first few months that it came out when it was just doing one item a day. I bought SWEET sessions tex pants there ($240 retail, got for $89 shipped) but the jackets have been lacking lately. I go on sacattack.com but no one is selling anything in my size. I don't have time to go to swaps because everyday i'm either studying or working so i can get enough $ for all the crap i don't need but still need.

I was considering another sessions jacket but all the pockets stick out get shredded fast, thats why i'm looking at arc'tyrex or karbon jackets since they keep them well sealed and protected.

Bob, i know what you mean about the diminishing in return as you go higher, but i discovered that with outerwear, you really do get what you pay for. I got $100 session pants that lasted me only 1 icy season and are now pretty damn absorbant instead of repelent (dizykay is enjoying them now). Since i'll be going riding about half as much this year as last, and even less the next 2 years, this jacket is an investment that will/should last me till i'm out of school in 4 years.

anyways, here is the jacket i really want, but in a large, and possibly a different color. If someone sees an arc'tyrex jacket on steepandcheap, please call me, any time of day, i'm that desperate, and let me know. 508 265 1974. If anyone sees that one in a large, you can even buy it and i'll pay you back and compensate a bit too for the trouble.

i can't believe someone is going to read all that. back to the books i go.:barf:

• 1 month later...

Money being tighter than I thought, and having no luck on my search for an Arc'tyrex, I'm going for the Mountain Hardwear Epic Trifecta Jacket. originally $250, i'll be getting it for $100 so it should last quite a while. Anyone have any input on these?

Gleb, I have a Canadian Olympic Development Team shell that got moderate use for one season (by its original owner, not me). If you're up for sporting the sponsor logos and "Canadian Olympic Development" embroidery, it's a pretty cool jacket.

It's a large and too big for me - you can have it for what I paid if you're interested: $50 + shipping. LMK if you're interested and I'll post photos tonight.

Hey Gleb, here you go.

It's a Nike Stormfit jacket - no model name shown. It has pit zips (with waterproof zippers), handwarmer pockets, and two interior pockets, one with an MP3 player pouch. It has a powder skirt and a detachable hood with a couple of shockcords for size adjustment.

Picture002.jpg

Note that there is a small wear spot where the shell is rubbed through, right by the right handwarmer pocket. It's approx 1.2 cm by 4 mm. Detail here:

Picture005_circle.jpg

Picture004.jpg

Picture007.jpg

Let me know if you're interested.

Cheers,

Dan

woke up this morning and discovered the Sessions Leatherneck on Steepandcheap for like $80. Even though I would never get a white jacket for riding since its kind of dangerous to use in snowy conditions, and the pockets get shredded of these like cheese, the price is just too right. Also, it matches my Sessions GT2 Tex pants that I bougth last year on SAC for the same price. Now I got two sweet jackets. :biggthump

LJWK_D1.jpg

14561_27?

My pants are khaki.