Warren Miller's "Playground"

Thor VonRippington

Went to Warren Miller's new movie "Playground" last night with BlueBird. What a disappointment (again... but worse). Warren Miller's sell out to corporate money mongers has ruined a very cool and fun kick off to my winter season (this was my 22nd year for this tradition). I felt like I sat through the longest advertisement ever produced. Way too many punks with their arse hanging out of their pants doing the usual jib tricks. There were a couple heli segments... (even WM Productions can't screw that up) and guys on paragliders and skis calling themselves "speed riders"... just sick! Past that... nothing original or breathtaking about this flick... LAME in fact. Save the $16 and your time. Resort to your own ski move that you have stored in your brain... it's a lot more exciting and will get your blood pumping faster.

Thanks for the heads up Thor. I have noticed the decline in the WM movies over the past few years and also the lack of any snowboard footage. I think this will be the year that I break my tradition and skip the movie. :mad:

The TGR movie will be in my town next Friday and those are pretty good. It might be worth checking the tour schedule.

TGR

My room mate went to see the premier of the Nike SB "Nothing But The Truth" video premiere and described the event as devoid of any energy, an odd ritual performed in homage to the corporate attempt at the vampiric leeching of 'cool' from skaters. The corporation had done just that, it appears, taken all the reality from the skaters and their environments, turning itself into a monochrome still of 'cool' because you can't wrap a fluid idea around a product and expect it to remain vital.

No doubt that watching videos of 'bigger' and 'better' is fun, and seeing clips from Alaska and the big Canadian mountains is also a thrill. But while that's exciting for my desire to slide down the steeps, the pleasure of meditation that snowboarding also offers -- the calmness of being often the only solid object in motion on an otherwise still landscape; the solitary white bunny scurrying out from within the pines; looking up in silence after tumbling into deep powder-- seems altogether lost, burned as fuel for 'more extreme.'

I really liked this year's icon 5 treat DVD...

the cross marketing never ceases- just got this email

I'm down with Harpoon but c'mon......

In the winter of 1949, an aspiring filmmaker and passionate skier named Warren Miller lived in his van in the Sun Valley parking lot, armed with a 16-mm camera and a dream. By capturing the thrills and natural beauty of the slopes and infusing his footage with his own brand of folksy humor, he created a whole new genre of filmmaking.

Prepare to charge into winter as RSA brings you to Warren Miller's PLAYGROUND, the world's largest action sports film hits theaters on a nationwide tour. On November 7th and 8th, we have teamed up with Rockstar Adventures and put together a package so you can see Warren Miller's PLAYGROUND, enjoy a tasting here at Harpoon, and get a load of lift tickets! Check it out:

* Transportation for the entire evening

* Ticket to see Warren Miller PLAYGROUND at the Somerville Theatre

* Tour and Tasting at HARPOON Brewery Nov 7 & 8.

* Dinner

* Rockstar Adventure gear

* $20 off Rockstar Adventures Sugarloaf trip on Dec. 7-9

* Free mid-week lift ticket to Smuggler’s Notch

* Free lift ticket to Ascutney Mountain, Sunday River, and Sugarloaf.

* 2 FOR 1 lift ticket to Waterville Valley Resort

* All that and more for ONLY $79.00 PER PERSON!!! Friends of Harpoon take $10 off that price.

So....Thor, if I can go see the flick for free, would it be worth it? I wasn't very impressed with last year's movie...the last one that I really enjoyed was Journey. I can't even remember the name of last year's...

Just looked it up on google - Off The grid. :sleep: I noticed that alot of the soul went out the window when the main sponsor switched from Nissan to Jeep...I wonder why?

So....Thor, if I can go see the flick for free, would it be worth it? I wasn't very impressed with last year's movie...the last one that I really enjoyed was Journey. I can't even remember the name of last year's...

Just looked it up on google - Off The grid. :sleep: I noticed that alot of the soul went out the window when the main sponsor switched from Nissan to Jeep...I wonder why?

"I would rather eat spaghetti out of a colostomy bag than see that movie"- Adam Carolla of The Man Show :lol: :barf:<O:p</O:p

If it were me... knowing what I know now... I still wouldn't bother to go see this movie for free. But that's just me... I'm a bit of a homebody and when I go out I don't want to waist my time or pay for something lame. Maybe this is why... the moon rise tonight from my deck. Now that's inspiring!

Moonrise10-25-07.jpg

Aww hell, I already have a ticket. Oh well, I'll pre-drink and I'm going with my riding buddies, so it can't suck too bad. No raffles during intermission anymore is lame though.

Going out with your bros to a ski flick is never a bad idea! You may not have the same viewpoint I do.. so don't drink too much.. we want your review.