Note to New Members ×

1st longboard

Louis

Hi guys, i've been snowboarding for 10 years or so (carving about 6-7 years)

I want to take the fun on the streets, i never owned a skateboard.. So im unsure about it.. what would you recommend me ?

I want something fun that can move me around town basically..

Thx.

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

I've had 6 or so of my friends get into longboarding since I started. Most of them who have never skateboarded before have found it easier to start on a dropped deck (ex: landyachtz evo) or dropthrough deck (ex: insect lightning bug). Have you skated before? you said you've never owned a board, but have you used one? My personal favorite is my Insect Lightning Bug. It's good for going really fast, pushing around town, and carving up hills. It's not too heavy, and you can choose how stiff you want it because they are made to order.

If you do get into it, don't be surprised if you start getting more boards. There are SO many different styles for different things. I started off with 1 and somehow now have 9.

So, yes you should try it. Look at the Lightning Bug if you don't mind spending a bit more, or if you're in the states, check out Mile High Skates online and email Mark the owner and he would probably be able to set you up with something for a good price that would suit you.

nothing wrong with Loaded boards well other than the cost...but you get what you pay for and in the case of Loaded boards you are getting a well made board with good parts/hardware. As was stated above Mile High Mark is a good source for info and equipment....his nickname is "the board whisperer" and its a title that is well earned. There are also a number of skate geeks here you can ask about things

• 1 month later...

Burton=S9 is pretty good except that Burton never had to be shamed into using/building/buying good bindings like S9 did with trucks...Gulwing Alpines are the worst wide truck ever made...Chargers are a Giant step towards legitimacy for S9. S9 boards are pressed at a very high quality shop so there is NOTHING wrong with their decks

Some of S9s boards do nothing at all for me, others aren't bad.

I used to have a trylam, nice enough board- could use a little more nose width & concave. The bomb hills is also a very nice board. Cosmic II and similar just feel awful underfoot to me. The bamboo boards are nice enough, but some have an awkward W concave that bothers me especially while pushing/ braking. The completes are even improving, with the new chargers. They also even have a few solidly *good* wheels now (especially GOS)

In regards to S9s: The sidewinder series is fun on mid-flatter conditions, and i liked the smaller cosmic, very snappy flex. I also liked the flex from the bamboo series, but would agree the W concave feels strange. I hate the gullwing alpine trucks. The bomb hills is great for speed. Arbors have no flex, and no wheel wells. Theyre beautiful, with very nice (usefull) shapes, but there are definately kinks they need to work out. Neversummer boards are very nice, the one i tried was way too huge for anything but crazy speed, but from what i got out of it the smaller models must rock like mad. As for burton vs S9, id say its a good comparison, except its more like comparing them around '00 when they still had good alpine stuff, good freeride stuff, and good freestyle stuff.

As for never owning a skateboard: you'll find longboards are more different than they are simmilar to skateboards. Most skateboarders who have tried longboarding can't get the hang of the way they turn, and most longboarders who have tried skateboarding can't get used to how slow they roll (from my personal experience anyway).

A lot of alpine snowboarding carries over to longboarding. A lot. There are a few differences though: first, look down the fall line longboarding unless youre in a huge parking lot or risk getting hit by oncoming traffic. second, don't try cross throughs like its your alpine board. you'll skid out (wheels dont give the same grip as your edge). Dont extend over the board as much or else your board and your body go opposite directions. You'll learn in a few runs, then youll be pretty much set.

A lot of alpine snowboarding carries over to longboarding. A lot. There are a few differences though: first, look down the fall line longboarding unless youre in a huge parking lot or risk getting hit by oncoming traffic. second, don't try cross throughs like its your alpine board. you'll skid out (wheels dont give the same grip as your edge). Dont extend over the board as much or else your board and your body go opposite directions. You'll learn in a few runs, then youll be pretty much set.

Fall line skating is pretty much the only option for downhill type skating, even in garage sessions but you second point isn't always true. This really depends on your board and wheels and where you are skating....pools and transition cross through type turning is pretty common (like carving roundwall). Same thing with slalom and pumping in general using soft lipped wheels (Retros, Seismic, Manx & Bennetts) allows for off fall line skating and much more extension than more normal skateboards and wheels. Then there are Revenge trucks (and Originals)......I truely don't have enough time on them to really make an honest comparison to other trucks but they are very turney and provide a different feeling than anything else.

ive got a bomb hills with randal RII 180's, its ridiculously stable, ive ridden a couple bamboo series boards, the flex is nice, but the W concave is irritating at best, i like pow's arbor blunt for cruising, but at downhill speeds, its shaky if your not used to it, and very scary for an inexperienced rider. as for the S9 nose rider, great dancing board, cant go wrong.

S9 has alot of exposure in california, where the longboarding scene is really big, because they spend alot of time in the community, with their riders, pushing their products and so forth. that success carries over here, only its less personal because they are so far away

I disagree in part - my wheels give a lot more grip than my snowboard edge at times...depends on the surface/wheel combo, and the speed. :cool:

this sounds like the admission of someone who has highsided :lol: mind you I have had similar issues hook-up when I wanted drift especially at speed

I went out skating with Sofaking/Brian Peck (young speedfreak and slalom geek) Wednesday on a local hill. He got bored with lots of traction (lime BigZigs) and threw on a set of blue Krypto's so he could drift his speedboard. Mind you I'm talking 30mph slides and such but after watching him for a bit I was convinced that I needed to at least try so i now have a set of Blue Krypto's on the way to practice sliding my speedboard....

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Hi Louis,

Buy a quality deck and equipping it with the best components.....

Check out some longboard sites for reviews etc.

http://www.silverfishlongboarding.com

http://www.skurfboards.com

http://www.skurfboards.com/how-to-longboard-skateboard-entire-guide

SZ Shameless plug_

Body proportion deck and carving skate trucks....

SURF-RODZ

http://web.mac.com/surfrodz/Site/SZ.html

Wayne

Wayne Gallipoli

Surf-Rodz, LLC

http://www.surf-rodz.com

wayne@surf-rodz.com

Product Preview_

http://web.mac.com/surfrodz

Gator's, I've been downhilling on these wheels all winter because I don't like the way my Avila's feel below freezing. The "Thane" feels like something in between Retro and Seismic. The only time I felt the wheels were holding me back was against the wind on a coasting type hill I could feel and see people on big zigs pull away from me. But on steep turny stuff they were equal to the task of staying with the bigzigs.

Gecko huh? you buying one of Martin's foam decks? they look gorgeous but I don't slalom enough to warrant anything more than maybe a JITT Fullbag to assist my tight slalom...I may also pick up a Comet Crystal Chalice from the factory this summer that board just speaks to me