Note to New Members ×

Burton Canyon 68 review?

mikestrain

I may buy a new board - Burton Canyon 168 and would like feedback. I havent boarded much lately but still ride a Burton M6 with Nordica hardboots at a 45 degree angle.

Like to carve but not a forearm dragger, get down the hill fast and like a versatile board for bumps, trees, groomers, everything.

Will the canyon be too wide to really pop from edge to edge?

Any other remarks?

Thanks guys!

MikeStrain,

I road one last year at a Burton demo day at my local mountain. I road it with soft Burton Cartell bindings and soft Burton boots. I liked that board. It's wide enough that with size 9 1/2 boots and about 45 degree angles on the front and back, I had no toe drag. It also turned well for a soft board. I really didn't get the chance to ride anything steep but for moderate terrain and speeds on hard pack I didn't slip an edge in three runs. With a good tune I think that board could have carved well down most hard pack diamond runs.

Before you spend the extra cash on a Burton you may want to look into a couple of other boards in the same length. Print the stats on the Canyon and compare. Last year I picked up an F2 Respect 168 new for $220. I ride TD2's and this thing rails on hardpack and floats through powder. My issue(s) with Burton are that they soften up and decamber too quickly, I've also had the bindings pull the inserts out of the board on more than one occasion.

I used to ride the m6 set up and I would have to say that you will be dissappointed with the direction Burton has gone performance wise.

You would like an OSIN 4807 168 or any of a number of Boardercross boards.

F2 speedcross

madd BX

etc

similiar to what you are used to without to much narrow modern alpine influence

my .02

there are plenty of other freeride boards out there that will suit you better. Rad air makes the tanker if you want a long one, or the worldwides for something a little bit shorter. my biggest fear with modern burtons is the construction quality, which may not hold up to hardboots. at best you could just crack the core, at worst your inserts and binding could tear out of the board, leaving only one foot attached. i have heard that burton inserts are not as high quality as other board makers from the guys at startingate, and was advised against riding on a new burton board with plates by PSR. my tanker works great though.