Note to New Members ×

Why Warren Miller, Why?

Justin A.

Go Warren Go :biggthump

Justin - why ya cursing him?

I found out today that through work, I can go and visit any of the hotels that I would likley want to work at for $69 a room...effectivley letting me try the town/hotel out before I decide if I want to live there or not. And one of those hotels is in Telluride, which from everything I've read about it, is probally one of the coolest towns around, and property values are low.

Warren makes some excellent points in that blog post...and I found it just as I started to realize that the town I live in may just be a little too hick for me. We'll see how it goes once the snow flies...I'm thinking that I might prefer a town with more culture, so I'm also considering a move to the other side of Crawford notch to get a bit closer to Conway and Jackson. There's very little culture to speak of here in Twin Mountain and I've just been thinking that living in Telluride would be awesome, and Warren may have convinced me...

Hey, Justin,

Sounds like you got a good deal on 'try before you buy' lodging through your work. T-Ride is a fun and funky town in the rugged and beautiful San Juan mountains. But, alas, it has been discovered, and property values in Telluride are no longer low.

Telluride, Colo.

Telluride is a 19th-century gold and silver mining town in the southwest corner of Colorado. Zoning laws have preserved the historic brick buildings and Victorian houses that line Main Street. Wedged in a box canyon surrounded by the San Juan Mountains at the end of a state highway, Telluride is clearly remote, but not isolated.

The town?s annual international film festival attracts a cosmopolitan crowd, who are discovering Telluride?s allure and returning to buy homes. Coming from Mexico, France, South Africa and Australia, these buyers ?have a lot of experience around the world and have decided Telluride is the place they want to invest,? said Mr. Saftler of Telluride Premier Properties.

He said today?s vacation buyers in Telluride are ?looking to get into the market at a lower level,? although that level has risen to $625,000, compared with $425,000 two years ago. Second-home owners seem to be in two camps: those looking at properties priced around $625,000 and $650,000, and those willing to spend $6 million or more. ?The $1-to-$6-million market has flattened,? Mr. Saftler said. ?There are some good buys right now in the $1.5-to-$2.5-million range.?

A two-bedroom, two-bathroom condo in town with 1,000 square feet is $1 million. Buyers willing to look 35 to 45 minutes outside Telluride, in places like Norwood, can find 1,200-to-1,400-square-foot homes with two bedrooms for $240,000 to $260,000.

Source: New York Time Great Homes and Destinations

________

MPRINCESAM LIVE

Justin, you have tele skis and a coiler. the time is ripe, if you can do it go now.

Warren gives sage advice on these things and I can tell you there are not many ski towns I want to move to but telluride is one of them.

Do it!

It's a great place to ride AND a cool town.

Justin, you have tele skis and a coiler. the time is ripe, if you can do it go now.

Warren gives sage advice on these things and I can tell you there are not many ski towns I want to move to but telluride is one of them.

Do it!

It's a great place to ride AND a cool town.

"problem" is that in addition to having teles and a coiler, I also have a fiance and a dog. If I could just pack up and go everytime I wanted to, I'd be in Telluride or Steamboat now.

What the hell am I talking about, you up and left for Cali, and you seem damn happy.

..I'm thinking that I might prefer a town with more culture, so I'm also considering a move to the other side of Crawford notch to get a bit closer to Conway and Jackson. There's very little culture to speak of here in Twin Mountain and I've just been thinking that living in Telluride would be awesome, and Warren may have convinced me...

Justin,

aren't you kinda young to have a fiance' ?

To hell you ride :lol: might as well live in an awesome part of the world before the shackles find you.Save the marriage thing for waaaay later in life.

It's a big world out there, son

waaaaaaay beyond conway & jackson :rolleyes:

smuggler's blues

If you don't do it now, you will be another year older before you do.

I spent a winter in Crested Butte and Whitefish. Both were awesome and a good change. Of course I am in Sun Valley now ( home of what Warren calls the best run in North America - Warm Springs ) so it's not like it sucks for me now. It was just great to go see other parts of the country, get out of my comfort zone, ride with different folks. Fiancee and dog are small complications to the dedicated.

Good luck

In 1987 at age 22,I took a few days off of my lumber mill job in Idaho to go to the open world snowboard championships in Breckenridge,CO.I had my '75 K-5 Blazer fixed up to sleep in for the three days of the contest but right as I rolled into town in a snowstorm the tranny blew to smithereens.Luckily I was able to coast the truck into the parking lot of a small hotel.The girl at the front desk let me stay in a storage room that night as the truck got towed after spilling all the rest of it's tranny fluid in the lot.The next day was practice day and I met some cool dudes from Michigan at the pipe.I told them of my dilema to which they replied that I could stay with them out in Leadville but none of them had cars so I would have to hitchike from Copper since buses were not running out to Leadville in those days.I ended up spending six weeks in that big old Victorian house with six other people who all became good friends.I lived in Michigan that summer AND each of the next four summers which lead to the start of my love for bike racing, and other than one winter spent in MI ,returned to Colorado each of those winters,which lead to a great career in snowboard instructing,which lead to meeting my wife(while on snowboards at Copper in 91) which lead to living in Vail so on and so on.

You never know where life will take you. DO IT !

LI have a similar one that I may share later... and after being in Colorado for many years... know of many more.

Very cool! :biggthump

Make with the story!

Good story steve...

Right now it kinda looks like we might be taking a shopping visit this january. We'll likley rent a condo for a few nights, do all our own cooking, ya know, try to come as close to living there as possible and see how we like it.

Tonight is one of those nights where there is NOTHING to do here except for think about how much greener the grass is over there.

Well, we've both decided that it's a good idea. I'm currently browsing the job listings, tomorrow we'll probally start shopping for a place to live. Hopefully we'll be able to take a quick trip out there in the next few weeks to do some face-to-face stuff. Do some padding to the savings account, then we're there. Thanks for being so supportive guys. We're just hoping that this isn't a case of "the grass is always greener"...

Well, we've both decided that it's a good idea. I'm currently browsing the job listings, tomorrow we'll probally start shopping for a place to live. Hopefully we'll be able to take a quick trip out there in the next few weeks to do some face-to-face stuff. Do some padding to the savings account, then we're there. Thanks for being so supportive guys. We're just hoping that this isn't a case of "the grass is always greener"...

Jobs are easy, concentrate on a place to live, that is the hard part

Jobs are easy, concentrate on a place to live, that is the hard part

I'm seeing that...there are plenty of places to rent...for a week, for an amount greater than I want to pay for a month.

From what I've read, the job market is pretty easy to work. There's a whole resort town worth of jobs available, but a hard-rock housing market that's unable to back them up. I've found a few places that piqued my interest, but they didn't have a rent amount listed. There have been a few emails sent, I'm hoping to hear back tomorrow.

Justin, I have some friends who were in their late 30s and early forties, lived in Seattle and were fed up with dead end jobs. They wanted to move to Sun Valley but were afraid of finding jobs and housing. Granted, They had a house here and would have a decent payment when it sold. They rented the house found good jobs and when they sold their home here were able to buy a house down the road from Sun Valley in Haley. They arent rich but as good employees are hard to find in resort towns, have been able to make a liveable wage, buy a house and ski at least 40 days a year on the mountain with trips to Utah, Canada, or Colorado for variety. Greg picked up a job with bennies at the health club and works in the ski/bike shop (bro deals?) and val works for a lithograph company. They get by, have a great life and live in a beautiful part of the world. Good luck, it can be done!

I'm seeing that...there are plenty of places to rent...for a week, for an amount greater than I want to pay for a month.

From what I've read, the job market is pretty easy to work. There's a whole resort town worth of jobs available, but a hard-rock housing market that's unable to back them up. I've found a few places that piqued my interest, but they didn't have a rent amount listed. There have been a few emails sent, I'm hoping to hear back tomorrow.

So did you decide to look in Telluride? Sounded like it earlier but not sure. I think the housing market there is pretty tight. Are you open to other areas?

Do it.

Not long after I moved close to Rossland, BC, my sister called me and commented on how envious she was of where I lived. I asked her why she didn't move out here, and she asked, "But what would I do?"

My answer: "That's the choice we make."

I've never regretted moving to "ski country." That was over a decade and a half ago, and I'm still in the area (closer to Nelson now). Neither my wife nor I can imagine leaving--and she doesn't ski or ride! Meanwhile, my sister and brother-in-law are still in a townhouse in the city...they visit us for a week of skiing every couple of years, when they can get away (they'd rather ski here than Whistler).

So did you decide to look in Telluride? Sounded like it earlier but not sure. I think the housing market there is pretty tight. Are you open to other areas?

Yeah, we're looking in Telluride. Not so much open to other areas, as I feel that Telluride is one of the last real ski towns that hasn't turned into a vacation town. We're absolutley in love with the location too, and the fact that it's one of two colorado towns that I can visit on the cheap (through work) before we move there doesn't help either...the other town being Aspen...but I'm not sure how much local vibe is still alive there.

Awesome story GeoffG...very re-enforcing.

We moved to ski-country back in June...we weren't counting on the absolute and complete death of the area during the shoulder season...the town always seemed like it was the place to be, but I had always been here in summer or winter, never after the leaves fell. I didn't realize just how much the local vibe that this town has was dependent on the tourists :confused: . We need a town that is obviously better during the main seasons, but still has a community and some distractions between seasons...at least a gym to go to to keep occupied, maybe a music shop so I can learn a new instrument or ANYTHING.

Justin,

Here is a housing thread ( short one ) from a Denver paper I think.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/colorado/15985-telluride-co-rentals.html

I think Telluride is a cute little town but I haven't been there in a bit. Seems to be pricey. If you can get to Telluride you should be able to check out Crested Butte. It's only a few hours away and I think the groom terrain is better there. The ultra steeps are better in CB, Telluride does have some rippin' bump runs.

both have quaint Victorian type charm. The base area at CB has been pretty condoized from what I hear. Telluride mtn village is too.

Here is some housing in CB for comparison.

http://www.crestedbuttenews.com/admarket/for_rent/?query=

It was definitely a young, vibrant crowd when I spent the winter there. don't know how the year round opportunities and jobs would compare. the ski free thing kind of sucks for those with season passes, but it is not so bad.

I went down the Grand with a bunch of folks from Telluride, but that has been a few years. I will see if I can get in touch with a couple of them just to check in.

Good luck I hope you pull it off.

...the other town being Aspen...but I'm not sure how much local vibe is still alive there.

Don't rely on reputation alone. I have never lived in Aspen but really enjoy hanging out there summer and winter and see plenty of local vibe. Some of the best ridding in the state, tons of culture, great bus system.

I lived in Vail for several years which has much the same reputation... even with people here in Colorado. My conclusion was the people passing judgment had never visited... much less lived there. Very cool local scene there with tons of cultural things to enjoy. The people running the place are just like you and me and come there for the same reasons we do. Sure... there's the rich snob element... but it's pretty difficult to get involved in it even if you wanted to. Actually now that I think back... that element had no affect on my life other than the fact there was plenty of money flowing through to keep us all alive.

My two cents on "To-Hell-You-Ride": Very secluded small funky hippy town. Good mountain... did I mention very secluded. Fun to visit but can think of several places I would rather live.

Justin - I would highly recommend you visit both places. The comparison would provide valuable info you need that can't be typed out on a page.

Don't rely on reputation alone.

Justin - I would highly recommend you visit both places. The comparison would provide valuable info you need that can't be typed out on a page.

Very sound advice. If you are only going for the winter, don't fret too much. If you are considering moving there for a while, make a short list of places that sound good to you and visit them in person. You will likely find that an area's reputation is a very simplified version of all of its complexities. Visiting a few places could save a lot of headache of needing to relocate again.

Best of luck, sounds like a great adventure.