Note to New Members ×

Rip Dfj

philfell

In chuck's Obituary it is stated that he and his family would prefer donations to any of the following in lieu of flowers. This is a painful reminder of the importance of this sort of generosity, so please, anyone who can make a donation in Chuck's name send it to your choice of these organizations.

Leukemia and Lymphoma Society Rocky Mountain Chapter

5353 W. Dartmouth Ave., Suite 400

Denver, CO. 80227

The American Lung Association of Colorado

5600 Greenwood Plaza Blvd., Suite 100

Greenwood Village, CO. 80111

The American Heart Association

710 2nd Ave., Suite 900

Seattle, WA. 98104

The Kidney Foundation of Colorado

3151 S. Vaughn Way, Suite 505

Aurora, CO. 80014

I know each one of these groups played a part in the struggle to help our friend.

Adam

I'm so sorry to hear about DFJ. Like many others here, I never had the chance to meet him in person, but I always appreciated reading his thoughtful posts. My condolences to his friends, family and riders.

I first met Chuck over ten years ago at one of the original Copper Race Series. Extremely nice and talkative guy. Since then Bomber always saw and heard from Chuck several times a season and when he became involved in coaching even more. Chuck had what you would call a "Day Job" that paid his bills but you could always tell his passion was snowboard racing and coaching. He will be missed in the scene and the responses here show this.

From all of us here at Bomber we wish Chuck perpetual groomed runs and peace for your family.

As someone who has probably known Chuck the longest I have to agree with everything that is being said about him. Chuck could brighten up a room full of chemo patients, would help anyone in need at the top of a race course, lend a hand to someone on an mtb trail or road ride. He will be missed by the many people he helped and touched along the good ride he rode.

Thanks bro, I will never forget you,

Derek Runes

As someone who has probably known Chuck the longest I have to agree with everything that is being said about him. Chuck could brighten up a room full of chemo patients, would help anyone in need at the top of a race course, lend a hand to someone on an mtb trail or road ride. He will be missed by the many people he helped and touched along the good ride he rode.

Thanks bro, I will never forget you,

Derek Runes

I knew you would participate in this post when the time was right. ;)

Chuck, my mentor, my coach, my friend, I will miss you more than I can possibly put into words, thank you for sharing just a brief portion of your life w. me, I am a better person for having known you. No matter what you had going on in your life you always made the time, always, thank you. I am so sorry I couldn't be there for you in the end, I didn't know man, i'd give my life to have had the opportunity to say goodbye and to let you know one last time how much you were loved and how much you meant to all of us, I pray that you knew and that you took that love with you. You deserved better than this last ****ing hand you were dealt and I know that I am one of many who would have gladly taken that god forsaken disease on your behalf but you took it on the chin and just kept fighting like the champion you were, like the champion you taught your athletes to be and i'll forever admire you for your strength, your courage and your undying perseverence. I will think of you everyday out on the hill and come race day i'm gonna be lookin up at you for those last words before I pull so don't go hangin up your drill and your walkie talkie just yet coach cause i'm gonna need you lookin down on me helping me settle, helping me focus, like always, the only difference is it's probably gonna be freezing ass cold where i'm at and 40 degrees and blue bird where your at. I love you brother, I will carry your friendship w. me through this crazy life and I will do my best to honor you and share the kindness that you showed me w. others. May peace be with you dawg.

Love,

JVB

What a sad thing to hear.. I met Chuck racing years ago and continued to see him throughout the years coaching. Chuck was always so friendly and enthusiastic. Chuck genuinely cared about others. He carried a huge smile with him wherever he went.. a great individual. He always expressed a true love of snowboarding and racing, and of life and the people he knew. I considered Chuck to be part of the landscape, a fixture in the world of alpine snowboarding.

Chuck told me a while ago that he was sick, yet he appeared outwardly healthy and very much the same character I've always known him to be. His illness showed no signs of slowing him down. He continued to carry on his life so to the point where I just assumed I'd see him again on the hill someday. He will always be a champion in my heart. I hope that he had his family and loved ones around him and went peacefully with the grace that he carried throughout his life. My condolences to his family, Chuck was a great individual and friend.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...
Guest Rick and Pam MacCutcheon

The MacCutcheon family just got the news. We are deeply saddened that Chuck Bolden has passed away. We just did not know that Chuck was dealing with a serious illness. He touched each of our lives in such a profound way .... just so many great memories .... from coaching Team Summit at Copper and travels to Waterville, Sunday River (and all over Maine), and local and Colorado events. Remember at Nationals when the loudspeaker system fell from the sky onto his head and he didn't complain about it - happy to be at the event! He was extremely supportive and inspirational to Stevie (Michael and Joanna, too). I can see him carving, setting courses, tuning boards, driving the bug, hanging out whether the locker room or cafeteria and in a high spirited way and always with a big smile/happy demeanor. Hey, I got his boots, he shared them with me, as a gift - a giving person and he wanted me to take up "hardbooting." Chuck was such a strong communicator, always staying in touch, getting us psyched up for the next season. Our hearts ache now but we are assured that we will see him someday in Heaven. Seeing this blog with so many of you that we know so well is meaningful to us - hello to everyone and God bless you all.

Rick, Pam, Stevie, Michael and Joanna

• 4 months later...

For everyone that knew chuck, there is nothing more to say about him than that he was an incredible coach, rider, son, and friend. i trained under him for several years and i followed his struggle closely. I know that all of us that knew him would gladly take the disease from him. Chuck fought as hard as he could, he will be missed extremely dearly by everyone who knew him. I can't stand the thought that i will never see him again, even now, months after i sat at his funeral and listened to his friends and family speak about him, an incredible person in all aspects; i don't see how our community of racers and riders and friends will ever recover from a loss as great as the loss of our Chuck Bolden. the next time all of you go riding, or go to a race, dedicate it to Chuck, he deserves our complete respect and admiration. Never forget our friend.

• 2 months later...