Note to New Members ×

Bought a pair of Tele's, any advice?

Justin A.

I got a killer deal on a pair of TeleSkis last night at a local shop's Demo sell-off. I've been wanting to try for about 2 seasons, but have never had the opportunity before. I skiied before I snowboarded (about 11 years ago now), but have occasionally screwed around on a pair of skis to see if I could still do it.

Anyway, I was wondering if there were any Tele guys here who could offer me a few tips for getting started (other than "take a lesson", that's a given).

stop eating meat, stop shaving, wear patchouli oil and vote for Ralph Nader. you'll fit right in with the tele hippies if you do the above.

:D

There is a strong tele scene in at both the big resorts in ME as well as at wildcat. If you're riding with other people on tele gear you're probably gonna progress allot faster.

Boots, if you need a wide boot go garmont, generally the widest tele boots I could find.

stop eating meat, stop shaving, wear patchouli oil and vote for Ralph Nader. you'll fit right in with the tele hippies if you do the above.

:D

I guess I'll have to head over to the employee dorms to pick up some wackyweed while I'm at it?

There is a strong tele scene in at both the big resorts in ME as well as at wildcat. If you're riding with other people on tele gear you're probably gonna progress allot faster.

Boots, if you need a wide boot go garmont, generally the widest tele boots I could find.

I work with a few other Tele skiiers at the Mt. Washington, so I'll probally be taking advantage of my free skiing privs and skiing with them. Free lessons at the resort too!

Thanks for the tip on the boots...I'm probally going to head over the The Startingate, but I might just head back to EMS for some...I'm planning on renting until I decide if I like it or not. I'm betting that I will, can't really beat the back country access, and I'm sure they'll float better than my Coiler in the fluff.

I guess I'll have to head over to the employee dorms to pick up some wackyweed while I'm at it?

can't really beat the back country access, and I'm sure they'll float better than my Coiler in the fluff.

Looks like you have a good handle on the situation and the advantages of the gear, good luck and have fun.

Hey Justin,

By the sounds of it, you live in Upper New Hampshire so you should check out The Ragged Mountain Shop in the Glen/North Conway area. It's right on 302 next to the Scarecrow Pub, north of the Intervale rest area and south(or maybe east) of the Diary Queen. That store seems big on Tele gear/info. Might be worth a look.

Jeff

Hey Justin,

By the sounds of it, you live in Upper New Hampshire so you should check out The Ragged Mountain Shop in the Glen/North Conway area. It's right on 302 next to the Scarecrow Pub, north of the Intervale rest area and south(or maybe east) of the Diary Queen. That store seems big on Tele gear/info. Might be worth a look.

Jeff

Yep, I know exactly where that is. I've never actually been in there though. They were having a huge tent sale the one time I went to the Scarecrow and I browsed that, but that was like...6 or 7 years ago.

I'm probally going to try Drummonds Ski shop too (right in front of BW on 302, I believe I get my Emp discount there :biggthump )

I'll probally end up at the Startingate for fitting though, I have large calves and ski boots rarely buckle around them. I'll likley be in need of a real boot fitter. Bring on the snow!

I hear ya on the boot fittin! If I'm not mistaken, alot of tele boots come with thermo-flex type, heat moldable liners and Ragged Mountain has the capacity to mold them right there. Just FYI. Drummonds would be a good place to check out too as there seem to be alot of free-heelers at Bretton Woods and BW does have a few Tele Demo days thru out the season.

be careful with tele boots, as allot of fitters don't like stretching the bellows area, it can be done but few fitters are willing

I've never had a problem with high insteps or anything, just the cuff of the boot is always to small for my stupid calves.

there seem to be alot of free-heelers at Bretton Woods

and they all have AMC stickers on their Excursions :rolleyes: . Just kidding, there are alot of really core people there during the week, it's the weekends that give Bretton Woods a bad image. During the week it's all the grizzly locals that don't feel like driving down to Cannon and/or are retired Homeowners/employees.

get some Bishops!!

Bishops would kick my ass.

and they all have AMC stickers on their Excursions :rolleyes: . Just kidding, there are alot of really core people there during the week, it's the weekends that give Bretton Woods a bad image.

Hey now, does that mean that I add to the bad image at Bretton Wodds on the week-ends because I am a week-end warrior of the carving variation driving in my VW New GTI with a Bomber sticker??? :)

Hey now, does that mean that I add to the bad image at Bretton Wodds on the week-ends because I am a week-end warrior of the carving variation driving in my VW New GTI with a Bomber sticker??? :)

Neg, a Bomber sticker absolves all other yuppie incriminating evidence against you. If it were an AMC/Sierra Club sticker, then it would have the opposite effect. Especially if it were a Sierra Club sticker, as there are no Sierras around here :smashfrea (yes, I've seen the stickers on Mass/NH cars before :rolleyes: )

grow your own, sport a ponytail, trade in the swanky yuppie jeepster for a beater subie......free the heel, move to Telluride

I traded in the yuppie jeepster a few weeks ago, but not for a beater subie. I intend to free the heel, and my other half seems to be weakening on the Telluride proposal. Off to amazon for a hydroponics book.

Bishops would kick my ass.

That's not the impression I've gotten from folks who ride them. I've spoken with probably 3-4 tele skiers on them. The consistent theme is they are solid, flex well and allow them to do things that are really tough on more flexy bindings. I think they'd be awesome for east coast conditions. That said, I've only tried tele once, it was at Wildcat on a pretty firm, cold day and the boots were leather with 3 pins in the bindings. I remember having numb toes and being scared witless on a blue run by all the gapers at the very edge of control, screaming past me. I'm not a tele expert by any means, but I've been curious about speaking with more Bishop users. Those guys hit some gnarly terrain on them.

Well, as they say about tele, if it was easy they'd call it snowboarding :D

I heard that (and many variations) so often in the backcountry, when I was always the lone snowboarder in a group of tele skiers, that I eventually got back on teles myself (I started both tele skiing and snowboarding in the mid 80s). For backcountry work, although a good freeride board will rip in conditions that make the tele skiers puke, tele skis are just a lot more convenient. No more postholing if we hit a flat spot...changeover is fast...and climbing in traverse is much easier.

In fact, getting back into tele skiing for the backcountry was part of the reason I got into riding a carving board--I limit my snowboarding pretty much to the resorts these days, and I find the carver a bit more of a challenge (and therefore more rewarding) on the groomed stuff. On good powder days I may still take out the freeride, but I'll as likely ride the teles.

BTW, about the thigh burn, etc--yeah, tele will burn you out, but so will carving. I'll often ski in the morning and ride in the afternoon, or vice versa--it kinda splits up the load. :)

• 2 weeks later...

You guy's gotta check out the NTN sytem from rottefella, scarpa & crispi. I'll be buyin it as soon as I can scape the dough. I bet garmont isn't far behind on there version. Finally I can cave my boards in my tele boots:biggthump scarpa X, Crispi Evo, Rottefella NTN; Google'em and you'll fall in love too:1luvu: Hope I can raise the scratch before they sell'em out cause they will:eplus2:

You guy's gotta check out the NTN sytem from rottefella, scarpa & crispi. I'll be buyin it as soon as I can scape the dough. I bet garmont isn't far behind on there version. Finally I can cave my boards in my tele boots:biggthump scarpa X, Crispi Evo, Rottefella NTN; Google'em and you'll fall in love too:1luvu: Hope I can raise the scratch before they sell'em out cause they will:eplus2:

Garmont actually just announced last week that they are going to ditch the BD version for the time being, as development has been moving too slow for their liking. Garmont is going to be making boots for the NTN system and they should be available next fall. :biggthump:biggthump:biggthump

• 2 weeks later...

Damn I likes me some tele.

My sophisticated "eeney-meenie-miney-moe" method of sliding toy selection has brought me to the Teles for the past two days (well...yesterday it did, today I wanted to try my boots that came yesterday), but damn that's some fun stuff. I'm starting to get the hang of it...on the bunny slope at least, and I can honestly say that the satisfaction of making a good tele turn is up there with that of making a clean carve.

Man the tele scene at BW is strong...no fewer than 5 guys out there on teles today. I would have been the only one on a carving board, which is what I'm taking out tomorrow :1luvu: . If only everybody had to decide what to ride in the morning (some of you have that problem, I know - hmmm....the donek or the coiler)...the world would be a better place.

Happy trails!