Note to New Members ×

Kirkwood & Mammoth

davekempmeister

I'm familiar with the drive from Reno to Kirkwood. Curious about a realistic approximation of the drive time from Reno to Mammoth. Also, historically, what are typical early - mid December conditions at each? I've only been to Tahoe area in late Feb and March. Never December. Any feedback appreciated. Thanks and all the best.

close to three hours to Mammoth from reno.

early season at mammoth is rugged, thin snow at that place is worse than most resorts because the rocks there are volcanic and thus are cheese greater like on ptex. it is not so bad in tahoe on this note.

close to three hours to Mammoth from reno.

early season at mammoth is rugged, thin snow at that place is worse than most resorts because the rocks there are volcanic and thus are cheese greater like on ptex. .

C'mon Bob, you're basing your decisions off your stay at Mammoth last year. Last year sucked at Mammoth, most years by December they have the whole mtn open with good/excellent coverage. I know, I have been going up there for over 30 years. Two seasons ago at Mammoth the entire mtn was open before Thanksgiving!! Last year was a terrible year, I don't think that can happen two years in a row!!!

Last two years Kirkwood around the 15th of Dec. has been my first on snow riding. About 90% open. a few "X" marking rocks still exposed, the Wall and or the backside may not be open yet. last year the backside didn't open till after Jan but that was abnormal as there wasn't any snow for over 3wks. A good year early to mid Dec should be just fine. This year hopefully will start a little earlier than the last two.Early to late Dec will have pinecones (small like robin egg size) that can damage ptex. It can be scattered so riding near the edges is a little more iffy.

J