Note to New Members ×

Question about Sugarloaf and Whiteface

skategoat

Trying to make some winter plans here.

At the Loaf: The Snowfields - is that carvable terrain? Or, is it usually iced up and/or bumped up? I'd love to hit some above treeline terrain and not have to go West for a change.

Regarding Whiteface, how carve friendly? I hate narrow runs. Am I going to see a lot of that at Whiteface?

whiteface, if you like steep hard snow on kinda narrow but not too narrow trails iceface is where it's at IMHO VT has much better offerings not all that much further away

Jay Peak is the **** and they let you pay in CAD, that used to be a advantage but now hell froze over and the loonie is kicking ass

So you mean plans other than coming to the ECES, right?? :D March 3-9

The Sugarloaf Snowfields are not carveable. They leave it all-natural except for one swath up the frontside that they blow snow and groom on called White Nitro, and you wouldn't want to carve that either. And yes, the Snowfields are rarely open. Takes a lot of natural snow to fill it in. But when it's open, it's sick.

But nevermind all that, the rest of Sugarloaf is simply the best carving mountain in the east, bar none. Lots of steep groomers, and they're wide by eastern standards. You can really improve your carving by riding there. There's also plenty of mellower cruisers. Sugarloaf comes into its primetime starting in early to mid February and it lasts through March. Although some years January can be stellar too, but I wouldn't bet the farm on that.

Anyway, it is my absolute favorite. As with any place, the weather can screw you, but provided it doesn't, you will have a blast there.

1098372394night.jpg

(the 2 trails on the right of the picture are actually quite wide and are great carving trails. the camera is at an angle to them.)

SkateGoat,

I can't really speak for SugarLoaf, but there is enough posted above to clue you in. I can however speak for Whiteface. With the exception of only one or two other ski areas in the east, it has the longest sustained steep pitch ANYWHERE. I don't think many people will disagree with that. If you really want to hone in your skills as a carver you should try to carve the front face. If you can round your turns well and really drive them, you will be rubbing your body across the slope. This mountain is my favorite mountain for carving. There are small crowds and generally good skiers who know how to keep out of the way. If you get lucky maybe you will see Rich aka "Gar" there ripping carves at mach 10 speeds. Don't fool yourself though, this is not a mountain for wimps. It can be icy hence the name "Ice Face"

As far as wide is concerned, there is enough real estate to keep even large boards from going off the edge of the slope. My advice is to stay on Little Whiteface and take the double chair lift half way up. There are a few good wide diamond slopes under it. As an intermediate carver you can really hone your skills in here.

9 hours, ouch, that is a haul. might as well fly somewhere at that point.

i havent been to smugs, although if i had to guess, it is probably a lot like stowe in that it is the standard old style new england resort with narrow trails.

if i were in your shoes i think id give iceface a shot. i havent been there but it seems worth a shot.

john

Whiteface is nice but you got to expect some windy and icy conditions. Last year we went the day after a snowstorm and the wind cleared up all the snow in the runs. We still had a fun day.

You can also consider Gore that is about 40-45 min from whiteface from what I understand and the vertical is decent