Note to New Members ×

Virus infection

Dr D

So I have been checking on this whole virus brewhaha and I find myself watching video footage of the product being ridden.

Someone tell me please what the difinitive difference between a virus snowboard and a garden variety skwal is.

Other than stance width and maaaaybe minor angle differences I don't see it. What makes a virus a snowboard and not a skwal???????

Not that there's anything wrong with that:lol: it looks like a hoot

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

You will just have to ride one to know. I had a donek that I loved. I got my phantom 183 and I won't hardly ever ride the donek. They just feel and perform with such energy. I would consider them the ferrari of snowboards. Most other boards are a corvette. Nothing wrong with a corvette. But a Ferrari is something much different. Performance, technology, and craftsmenship are in a different league.

post-2130-141842236416_thumb.jpg

And Virus snowboards are not necessarily narrow... look at the pic I posted in the other thread, I actually have 2 that are quite wide...

And they rock.... people who try them get infected... I never met anyone who just said: yeah, it's just like any other board....

Any board is so much more than it's waist width, length and sidecut. Ride everything you can get your hands on, you'll find that mere specs cannot describe or prepare you for the ride you get, as every board is different. Virus is for interactive FUN and as a result is very engaging, causing very passionate relationships (infections).

Any board is so much more than it's waist width, length and sidecut. Ride everything you can get your hands on, you'll find that mere specs cannot describe or prepare you for the ride you get, as every board is different. Virus is for interactive FUN and as a result is very engaging, causing very passionate relationships (infections).

and subsequent bankruptcies

I actually was under the impression that Virii were unforgiving, "sports car" like rides?

They sure look cool. More than I'll ever spend on a snowboard.

I ever had to what the Virus faithful describe was on a 157 Enlight freeriding board made by Extrem (Sweden).The board had a carbon topsheet and carbon wrapped core and it seemed to know what I was thinking besides riding as fast and stable as a longer board.I ended up getting a 161 of the same model and got prodeal on it.With shipping it still was about a third of what the lowest cost Virus would be,but that's not really my point.It is that I understand how someone can be so impressed with a board as to make it a major priority to buy one.Unfortunately , priority is proportional to ability to pay.Luckily for companies like Virus there will always be a market for Ferraris.

Of or pertaining to anthropogenesis

Hope that helps

It's becoming a catch word for the "ark builders"

the oceans will rise 20 feet in our lifetime

because of

"anthropogenic carbon"

Al Gore has never been wrong

so far

Pertaining to... :lol:

It alway makes me :rolleyes: when I read that in a dictionary.

I was acctually baiting Bola... but he didn't bite. Let's just say I'm not his thinest customer.

For the pondering BOL'ers, I wonder if we should start an analysis regarding what board waist width a thin waisted human should ride vs. wide waisted humans

:lol:

Isn't the saying "thin is in" these days?

As for the initial question pertaining to skwal like characteristics. The narrower the angles the more you need to ride with a skwal riding style. Having noted that, I've ridden the 14 CM virus and it still rides with normal carving input unlike a skwal style.

For the trackers, I'm normal waisted (No Thor, not normally waisted!)

I actually was under the impression that Virii were unforgiving, "sports car" like rides?

Unforgiving... most are not... these aren't race boards but some models demand your full attention

Sports car like... definitely

CJ... it's tempting to take this thread way off track... but I will refrain... it's all relative anyway because some say I am normal waisted (we all know normally is true too)... maybe they are just buttering me up so they can get to my Viri

D

With the exchange rate the way it is (I know, we get a discount from Virus). You might want to consider a Tinkler. They are full custom and it keeps the money a little closer to home. I think it may even be cheaper!

After reading any of these Virus threads one might see a pattern of complaining about price and suggesting "cheaper" local alternatives. The bottom line is RIDE ONE! Then you will know what the deal is. People that own one won't ride anything else for the most part. Remember cheaper is a realative term. I find them to be priced just fine for the quality and performance. Ferraris as sold every day.

I remember seeing Virus boards at my first SES. I didn't ride one because there was no way in hell I was going to pay that much for for one deck. The following season I rode one and was completely blown away. Now I have several and working on more. On the flip side... I have let a few folks ride mine... some have had the response I had and some have not. Perhaps a different strain of Virus would yeild a different result... but personal preference and ridding style are still a factor.

I have been pondering the the Virus thing myself. I rode a Vampire one day late last season. I rode it late in the day when conditions were slushy (should have done it earlier when it was icy :smashfrea ). I definitely liked the board. I know that I want to add a Titanal board to my quiver. The question I keep asking myself is why should I purchase a Vampire over a Coiler with metal? What different does the Vampire have to offer versus the Coiler? Demoing these boards is obviously an issue. ABS has Vampire that I can check out, but I doubt I will find metal Coiler to play with. I know that JoelP loves and has praised his metal Coiler...

What to do... what to do...

Anyone have any input on why to choose a metal Virus over a metal Coiler?

TVR? Bola? CH? Anyone?

After reading any of these Virus threads one might see a pattern of complaining about price and suggesting "cheaper" local alternatives. The bottom line is RIDE ONE! Then you will know what the deal is. People that own one won't ride anything else for the most part. Remember cheaper is a realative term. I find them to be priced just fine for the quality and performance. Ferraris as sold every day.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on anyones toes.........

I just feel we should support the guys making boards in the states.

I'll stay out of your little Virus love fests.

Later!

DT - What a harsh dilemma! Not sure how you could go wrong here. Why not turn the blender up a notch and add Prior metal to the mix? It gets rave reviews too. If you don't have a spot with Bruce... that could be an issue. There is no doubt metal is worthy of all the praise it gets... but I have only ridden the metal Virus. The interesting thing about the Virus is the multiple personality it offers. I haven't riden another type of board that can change "attitudes" just by the way you ride it.

You are welcome to ride any of my stuff once the rocks are covered.

Sorry, didn't mean to step on anyones toes.........

I just feel we should support the guys making boards in the states.

I'll stay out of your little Virus love fests.

Later!

Can't hurt my toes... they're in hardboots

If you keep it in the States you are limiting yourself to two builders... the good news is they both make great sticks. (is Sean doing metal this year?)

I say try them all!

I'm in the bola and Thor camp - buy both of them.

A Virus does have a unique ability to ride differently depending on input and style you give to it. But, they can also require constant attention which is why I have gotten in the habit of bringing several boards for the day. That way, I can switch boards from time to time to suit my particular mode for the moment or part of the day.

sorry, no picks yet.

I dont have it with me righn now but if I remember right, it was a one off demo board, about 178, about 20.5 waist, with the topsheat that is 1/2 white, 1/2 silver of all white depending on the angle from which you view it. I dont think it even has a name. it was at the all boards sports demo day late last season at the bottom of MJ.

I rode 2 runs with it and fell in love. that board wont skid. it just locks you in to that groove. Im sweating just thinking about it.