Note to New Members ×

Are there any approach skis that'll work with plates?

Keenan

I recently got a pair of Karhu Metas (130cm approach skis with built-in skins). I plan to take the stock bindings off and mount a pair of Dynafit toe pieces taht will hold my AT boots. I have a few pair of Bombers and one pair has traditional bails to handle the AT boots. I intend to use the approach skis for the ascent and a 4WD with TD2s for the descents. The stock bindings on the Karhu's would probably be fine with AT or SB boots, but this seems like a lighter, sleeker setup, plus I already have the Dynafit compatible AT boots.

FWIW, I totally stole this idea from Zach Davis.

Karhus:

yhst-49946330705965_1970_2426670

This would work equally well with any small, fat ski or snowlerblade with a skin attached to the bottom and some binding option on the top. You could even take the Bomber Splitboard binding (same as TD w/out the base) and mount it to the Voile split adapter on top of an approach ski.

Bomber split binding on a Voile plate:

Split_stand_voile_cut350.jpg

I am just an old retired mech engineer here but are you saying you would want to have skis on your feet with non releasable bindings? If so will you be going faster than 7 or so mph down hill - EVER?

Just curious as I get older I hate to see injuries to myself or others.

Damn Son! - as Jerry Reed would say :biggthump

C5: The heels don't lock in. So at worst you are in tele mode. But the skis have skins on the bottom. You can't go fast. They are for ascending. You descend with them on your back and your board on your feet.

Keenan: I'm going to remove the hinged binding, put grubs in the holes, and drill the skis for the Dynafit toes. I got some heels to mount under my boot with climbing wires. Sorta like this:

VOLAL.jpg

I am just an old retired mech engineer here but are you saying you would want to have skis on your feet with non releasable bindings? If so will you be going faster than 7 or so mph down hill - EVER?

Telle bindings don't release... most I see are going way faster than 7

I'm sorry I wasn't clear about this. I sort of assumed most folks knew what a Dynafit binding setup was, and that was a mistake.

I'll be using the skis you see pictured above. Its a little hard to see in this pic, but there's a skin built into the base of the ski. So it can not go fast.

115X7ZXHT1L._AA160_.jpg

I'll be removing the bindings that it comes with (and may consider selling them??), and mounting just the toepiece of the Dynafit TLT-Vertical binding. Somebody else wanted a spare heel and so did I, so we split the cost of a pair of bindings. Here's the binding.

tlt-vertical-01b.jpg

The pins on the toepieces lock into a receiver built into the boots. Here's a picture of them in action ascending on skis. You can see the pin/boot combo just below the person's pole tip. The heels release and rotate so you can set them at different inclines (ramp). You can see in the picture that the "Volcano" has been rotated 180 degrees (the pins are reversed too) so they are using the middle climbing height setting. I won't use those heels, but just climbing posts like the ones pictured above. That will save some weight and bulk. Depending on how you set the lever on the toepiece, you determine whether the toe will release or not. So you can set it to be able to release if you need to descend for a bit in them, then just push it back down for ascending. I should be able to swap between that and the board pretty quickly.

tlt-vertical-03b.jpg

Edit to add:

I carry the board up like this if its steep (the guy in the background near the dog).

PMGEAR_snzyv.jpg

A little off-topic here but can you put a snowboard boot into a randonneur type binding? Something like a deeluxe or head into something like a Fritchi binding?

Unfortunately, no. The heel shape of Intec heels doesn't fit an AT binding. Some of the old boots like original Raichles, Nordica, Koflach, etc., would work (we're talking circa 1988-91 with those boots).

The good news is you can put a Randonee (aka AT) boot into a bail snowboard binding. And they work well as hard boots.

Sinecure, what kind of boots are you using? I am thinking of doing a similar setup with my k2 ascent skis, but am torn on what boots I want to get...either scarpa (spirit3, matrix, or denali) or garmont megaride or dynafit zzero's. I know Zach was using garmonts before and i read a lot of peoples comments on them on other forums.

A little off-topic here but can you put a snowboard boot into a randonneur type binding? Something like a deeluxe or head into something like a Fritchi binding?

The old Fritchi binding is supposed to take any boot with a bail ledge, climbing boots included, so a snowboard boot should work in them.

So it looks like the Kahru and change of bindings or the Rosi Free Trek which isn't listed on their website, so I'm not sure if it's still in production. The Kahru says it will work with any boot, but If the strap system is anything like my snowshoes, when hinged, the toe of the boot will hit the ski preventing it from pivoting all the way. Unfortunately, I can't find a retailer in my area for either ski, so I'm relying on input from the bank of knowledge in the Bomber Carving Community. Thanks for all the help!

On short skis, say shorter than around 120cm it's normal to use fixed bindings that don't release. Ascent skis aren't any longer (normally) so it's no prob to take a quick descent inbetween. For the real stuff the snowboard is with you anyhow.:1luvu:

SVR,

I got Scarpa Spirit 3's since they fit me pretty well and have the Dynafit fittings. They have Thermoflex liners so I had my favorite boot shop (where I get my SB boots) cook them and fit them for me. I got them a half size larger than my SB boots so they are a comfort fit rather than a performance fit. I thought this would help for BC stuff and I just wear thicker socks with them. I haven't had much chance to ride in them so I can't report on that front. I got them at the end of last season and still need to grind them a bit so they fit better in TD2 bails. Can I get wider shoulder bolts? I seem to remember reading that somewhere.

Thanks Sinecure...hope the boots work out and yes, you can get wider bails from bomber, when you order new bails just let Fin/Michelle know that you want the wider ones in the comments block on the order form, or call and let them know.

how are you guys attaching your bindings to the skis when you make your own? I am trying to figure out the pivot system. Do you think voile sells the plate and pivots seperately? I'm looking to spend less than 150 on some approach skis with some elbow grease. Think I'm being realistic?

I bought the Dynafit bindings in a group buy from another web site (TGR). There was a guy on the site looking for a spare heel, and I wanted a spare heel too (for my AT ski set up, not for my approach skis). We split the $240 cost of the bindings (he paid 1/4, I paid 3/4). If you could find a similar group buy deal, and someone (or two people) who wanted spare heels, you could conceivably get the bindings for $120. Alternately, you could keep an eye on various boards and see if anyone is getting rid of some Dynafit toes or whole bindings that are used. List price on my bindings is $375 (or that's what they sell for at my local shop). At the end of the season, you can find approach skis on sale pretty cheap.

All in, it would be tough to get under $150 for a set-up, but if you keep your eyes open for used gear, I'd say its very possible.

Those Silvretas that Spiny linked to would be a good approach ski setup too. Not as light as just a Dynafit toe, but good basic binders that climb.

As for attaching, its just like mounting ski bindings. Drill hole, put in some sort of glue, screw in bindings. Voila.

Under $150 for a homemade setup seems very doable.

Grab the bindings that I crossposted (not my listing), check for surplus skins and/or bindings on ebay and skis are the easiest part. Most ski and skate sales have a ton of old skis that would work. The one I help out on throws away a bunch of old skis after the sale that no one shows up for.

good luck.

- Spencer