Note to New Members ×

Carving Cup - As much fun as you can have on two planks

patmoore

Are you kidding? They do exactely what we like doing (freecarve) but formated as a race. They can pick their line and carve deep for more points or go shorter arc to pick more speed. When I freecarve I do not really look for big airs but I do not mind a small take of a roller. As for the gates, it is a very happy solution to avoid hitting the pole while you are almost fully laid over.

Ski poles are handy of piste, in the real race course, in the lift line, in bumps, etc. However, for ripping the groomers they are just in the way. We've dropped them ages ago for teaching children below the skill of developed parallel turn with unweighing. I also encourage adult begginers to start without poles. Personally, I seldom ski with poles nowadays.

Boris

I think skiing looks coolest when world cup downhillers are trying to hold a tuck with their poles or using them for balance while on the edge of control, barely hanging on to the turn at 60mph.Without poles it looks like they forgot something,the form resembles someone feeling for his eyeglasses.

After not skiing since 1984 I threw myself on the mercy of my instructors when I was director at Silver Mtn in 05.They had me carving in about an hour.By the next day I was leaving pretty deep lines(never seen anyone on skis carve as deep as with a board) with a reasonably tight radius and a couple more sessions giving those who taght me some insight on why and how.(by that time I had been on hardboots for 16 seasons;it helped)I would probably fail cert one on skis however,since I couldn't skid a round turn to save my life.

The Connecticut Ski Council has a demo event every year at their winter carnival and I introduced a Carving Cup competition at Sugarbush a couple of years ago. It was open to boarders and skiers and was a fun event. We used a modified version of the FIS rules. The winner was a guy on slalom skis (poles weren't allowed).

Check out the FIS site where I grabbed this photo.

28h0j83.jpg