Note to New Members ×

Watch Out!!!

dano

My Boatmasters tells me that if you can see the port light (left side - red for stop) of the other boat, then he has right of way. So theoretically, that would make the Coastguard vessel the boat in the wrong...

Although having said that, it is like a carving accident, in that mister speedboat should be watching where he was going...

that is some seriously stoooopid boating- imagine if someone got seriously hurt?

stoopid is as stoopid does....

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=81aJmjUK08s

Are you ready to go

Cause I'm ready to go

What you gonna do baby baby

Are you going with me

Cause I'm going with you

It's the end of all time

post-123-141842236368_thumb.jpg

Why did not the CG change course? I thought the boat that was passing or overtaking another boat had to yield the right of way.

I used to have a CG captain's license for launchtender duty. You are right about the overtaking rule, but I don't see the CG boat overtaking. Looks like a clear case of the CG boat failing to yield to a boat on its starboard side.

I used to have a CG captain's license for launchtender duty. You are right about the overtaking rule, but I don't see the CG boat overtaking. Looks like a clear case of the CG boat failing to yield to a boat on its starboard side.

Sorry Jack but since the CG boat ran into him I think he overtook him. If I was on a jury - he'd be like OJ is soon to be. My $.03

I'll bet the powerboater was cited by USCG and has to fight his insurance company, but at least no one was hurt, so he's not fighting criminal charges as well.

I've been following a story down in California, where an off-duty deputy ran down a slow-moving sailboat while going 40mph+ on a lake at night, killing one of the sailboat passengers. The helmsman on the sailboat's charged for the death, after the deputy's own department refused to take witness statements that incriminated him.

-jon-

I'll bet the powerboater was cited by USCG and has to fight his insurance company, but at least no one was hurt, so he's not fighting criminal charges as well.

I've been following a story down in California, where an off-duty deputy ran down a slow-moving sailboat while going 40mph+ on a lake at night, killing one of the sailboat passengers. The helmsman on the sailboat's charged for the death, after the deputy's own department refused to take witness statements that incriminated him.

-jon-

Remind me not to get hit from behind by a drunken off-duty sh!t-eater going 50 mph in the dark....

Luckily it looks like there is enough press coverage to get some justice, but how often does this happen unnoticed? Most unnerving.

POINT #1: If the CG boat was under non-emergency way, then the other boat had the right of way. If the CG boat was under emergency way with lights flashing, then as an emergency vehicle involved in an emergency it had the right of way.

POINT #2: Regardless, it is every vessel operator's responsibility to avoid a collision regardless of who is right or wrong.

It looks as thought the other boat never even saw the CG boat. Even more reason why the CG should have changed course regardless if they were running in an emergency mode or not, as they were the only ones who knew a collision was about to occur.

so Dano and I did some sailing in the rain last friday up off salem and he alluded that the video in question may have been doctored up a bit, just take a closer look at it.

Regardless, boating can be as dangerous as some of the idiots at the helm.

Always looking out for the Joey with 12 bud lights under his belt, talking while he's driving and not really paying attention(and it's always some cheeseball powerboat or a sit down jetski)

I got a bunch of lame pics of us pseudo sailing.I'll see if I can post a few if I can find the cable for my camera.

Fun getting wet, those PBRs were tasty :biggthump

<object width="425" height="355"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HROJflp4-EY&rel=1"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HROJflp4-EY&rel=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="355"></embed></object>

GO SOX !!!!!

post-123-141842237216_thumb.jpg