Note to New Members ×

driving question

Guest pcogan

found myself driving to the Colorado mountains saturday eve in a snowstorm, happily, but quite unhappy with the visibility.

question: what do you recommend to increase visibility during heavy snowfall? fog lights? higher powered headlights? etc. i have standard headlights in my pickup, and would like something better. thanks.

pcogan

denver

3/4 ton hd duramax gmc, stuck APC xenon 100 watt bulbs in, highs and lows about 50$ a set, not really xenon just bulbs with blue tint, outstand light, tried cheaper ones, junk, otherwise real xenon is 500 bucks for highs and 500 for lows, and it's 60 watts, why xenon, no shadow, better for every situation

jmho

try radar

In my prius w/gps you could drive by instrument, slowly, you could stay on the road but if there was something else on the road it would go bang, or thud err splat

found myself driving to the Colorado mountains saturday eve in a snowstorm, happily, but quite unhappy with the visibility.

question: what do you recommend to increase visibility during heavy snowfall? fog lights? higher powered headlights? etc. i have standard headlights in my pickup, and would like something better. thanks.

pcogan

denver

For me fog lights work great as long as the snow isn't over the bumper- hey it happened......once.

3/4 ton hd duramax gmc, stuck APC xeon 100 watt bulbs in, highs and lows about 50$ a set, not really xeon just bulbs with blue tint, outstand light, tried cheaper ones, junk, otherwise real xeon is 500 bucks for highs and 500 for lows, and it's 60 watts, why xeon, no shadow, better for every situation

jmho

try radar

In my prius w/gps you could drive by instrument, slowly, you could stay on the road but if there was something else on the road it would go bang, or thud err splat

UH...PLEASE dont give out missinformation, Standard halogen bulbs with blue tint are STUPID!!!! some quick research on the net will tell you all you need to know.

Not to mention those bulbs arent 100, they "claim 100 equ" which is total BS.

Oh and you are way off on the pricing and there is no High and lo, that is determind by the housing. and is spelled Xenon

UH...PLEASE dont give out missinformation, Standard halogen bulbs with blue tint are STUPID!!!! some quick research on the net will tell you all you need to know.

Not to mention those bulbs arent 100, they "claim 100 equ" which is total BS.

Oh and you are way off on the pricing and there is no High and lo, that is determind by the housing. and is spelled Xenon

No misinformation

Color temp 4000k

xenon gas filled

12v 100w

2 9004 bulbs, 2 9007 bulbs

today I can get the 9004's for 28.32$ plus shipping, when I bought them, the only place I found em was 52.95$

today I can get the 9007's for 78.16$ plus shipping, I paid 52.95$

picture of both sets, if you don't understand something ask, no need to rude :rolleyes:

again there is no HI or low, in that case you would just be using 2 MORE bulbs.

paint or not doesnt matter, think about it ANYTHING infront of a light source diminished light out put... EVEN clear glass(though minimal) you really think a blue color is going to give MORE light??? You ever heard of those glasses the "blueblockers"?? the BLUE BLOCK-ers, blue light is bad.

Rain-X. Oh yeah. My windshield wiper motor has been broken for about 13 months, and the rain-x works just fine, and I've driven in plenty of CO snowstorms.

Just keep it above 50 and you'll be all set.

In my opinion, if you have to ask the question, you should just stay inside that day.

I grew up driving to school in stuff like that, so it doesn't even phase me. I recall driving in snow so deep that it would come over the hood in a big plume of snow. One of our teachers lived near me so as I came around the corner I could see a big plume of snow coming down the hill in my rearview mirror and knew it was her. Kinda funny.

Kick-ass studded snows on a two wheel drive pick-up and a playboy's touch on the throtle.:biggthump

Imho, No light is going to help you see through snow unless it's shining through from the other side (Like all the break lights that just lit-up in front of you). If it's that thick just slow the f*** down.

Rain-X. Oh yeah. My windshield wiper motor has been broken for about 13 months, and the rain-x works just fine, and I've driven in plenty of CO snowstorms.

Just keep it above 50 and you'll be all set.

:lol: :lol: :lol:

I went over two years without wipers when I lived in Vail (we know what Vail Pass is like). Above 50mph is key and sometimes the defroster is important. The only time I had a big problem was when the Mag Chloride was flying off the tires. That crap sticks to everything but I love what it does to the road.

UH...PLEASE dont give out missinformation

'cause your the master. lucky for us, you are back to save the day.

back on topic - Pete, from my experience, yellow fog lights seemed to work the best. Going with a brighter headlight or white driving lights will just illuminate the snow, making it even more difficult to see. I am not sure about the legalities of yellow fog lights in Colorado; from memory, they are illegal.

'cause your the master. lucky for us, you are back to save the day.

back on topic - Pete, from my experience, yellow fog lights seemed to work the best. Going with a brighter headlight or white driving lights will just illuminate the snow, making it even more difficult to see. I am not sure about the legalities of yellow fog lights in Colorado; from memory, they are illegal.

No sweat! :biggthump, just in time too!

Now why would yellow lights be illegal? There is a reason people wear amber and persimmon lenses. Infact Some lexus cars come with yellow fogs from the factory.

No sweat! :biggthump, just in time too!

foglights ?

Just carry a mixture of antifreeze and vinegar,crank the heat on defrost and occasionally squirt the mixture on the windshield as you lean out the window. You have to keep the bag tightly clenched between your legs, keeps it nice and warm, works great.

this dingbat guy has comedic potential here.....welcome :biggthump

post-123-141842236393_thumb.jpg

Don't shoot the messenger.. here a couple others input. Car talk guys are good.

http://www.cartalk.com/content/columns/Archive/2002/February/08.html

8. Are yellow fog lights really better than white or blue ones?

The old wives' tale that yellow fog lights give you greater visibility over white or blue ones is just not true. The premise of that superstition, that yellow light waves are long enough to pass through water particles without reflecting back into the driver's eyes, is based on a misinterpretation of Lord Rayleigh's principle of light scattering. As it turns out, the water particles in fog and mist are entirely too large to have an effect on any light waves from fog lights, be they yellow, white, blue or even green. In other words, any fog light that is properly mounted and aimed is effective, so don't worry about the color.

Navin R. Johnson: Huh? I am not a bum. I'm a jerk. I once had wealth, power, and the love of a beautiful woman. Now I only have two things: my friends and... uh... my thermos. Huh? My story? Okay. It was never easy for me. I was born a poor black child. I remember the days, sittin' on the porch with my family, singin' and dancin' down in Mississippi.

:lurk:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CDFVSPFvY5o

post-123-141842236408_thumb.jpg