Note to New Members ×

Riding the Down hill edge

Bobby Buggs

I was working on pressuring the downhill edge most of last season, and it both helped my technique and was a ton of fun.

PSR said it best when he described the process as pushing the snow up the hill.

If you make the edge change while going across the fall line, you're riding on the downhill edge. The trick to carving steeps is increasing the amount of upward pressure you have to apply to the downhill edge. It feels almost counter-intuitive, and it's like the negative "G" yin to the multiple "G" yang of the feeling you get at the bottom of the turn. It's almost as if you start your body falling down the fall line and then the board comes around to the catch you.

Dave Morgan drew some cool stick figures that demonstrate the process on the old forum. I think the thread was about carving steeps, and reading the posts helped me a lot.

Can't wait for opening day! See you at Stratton Friday 11/28!

MT

It's almost as if you start your body falling down the fall line and then the board comes around to the catch you.
Mike, that is a great way to describe it and it is such a rush. You are kinda hangin there for a few split seconds before the board catches up with you then voom, your off in the other direction.

Don't know about the 28th, getting over some surgery and just started on the bike this week. Usually I'm a definite for that day but this year its a 50% maybe.

Hummm 14 days....well:confused: