Note to New Members ×

Colorado Ski Area Opens

Thor VonRippington

Arapahoe Basin, CO - Arapahoe Basin ski area officials have announced that its opening day for the 2007-2008 ski and snowboard season will be tomorrow, the earliest opening in Arapahoe Basin's 61 years of operation. Last year the ski area was the first to open in the nation and this year A-Basin continues that trend.

The Exhibition chair will open to the public at 9:00 a.m. Wednesday. Skiers and riders can expect an 18-inch base on the intermediate High Noon run and some features in the High Divide terrain park. The will be no beginner skiing at this time.

Opening day adult lift tickets will be available for $45, youth tickets age 15 - 19 will be $39 and child tickets age 6-14 will be $22. Ski and snowboard rentals, food and beverage service in the A-Frame, the 6th Alley bar and retail shop will be open to the public. Ski school lessons will begin when the Molly Hogan Learning Center opens later in November.

Local radio station KSMT will be on site in the base area with a live remote, playing music and handing out giveaways.

Seems pretty pricey for just one run and a few hits for the jibbers. I would shudder at the cost of a regular season day ticket

Yeah I don't understand the pricing either. It's ~6 hours for me to drive for limited runs and then $45 to boot? Most NM resorts are $45-$55 during normal season.

It'll probably be a zoo too. I'll wait till Nov/Dec. :biggthump

the lift prices are outrageous, luckily i'm a keystone employee, free during the week and $10 on weekends. The one run was nice for about 2 runs. I would have been upset if I had to pay. Too many people on not enough snow, I don't want to think how crazy it will be this weekend. My last CO winter is starting off good. Hopefully this is a sign of a good season to come.

the lift prices are outrageous, luckily i'm a keystone employee, free during the week and $10 on weekends. The one run was nice for about 2 runs. I would have been upset if I had to pay. Too many people on not enough snow, I don't want to think how crazy it will be this weekend. My last CO winter is starting off good. Hopefully this is a sign of a good season to come.

Does this apply to Vail employees, too?

Noweddings.com - You were on the national news (NBC I think). They showed a 2 sec. clip of A-Basin, and you could see a hardbooter with orange pants from the back starting a run. Wooohooo national exposure for the sport. Bomberonline is going to go big time now :D

Waiting forever for snow in NH,

Bob K

I wouldn't be too jealous kids. Did you see the lift lines? And for one run with 18 inches of man made over rocks and dirt, what we graciously refer to as "the ribbon of death". Everyone was fighting for that same terrain, couldn't have been that great. I can wait until there's at least 2 runs :rolleyes:

If I'm not mistaken, this is the first year the Basin could blow snow, that's why there was no contest. The Basin is so much higher than Loveland.

Hey, it's not winter until an 18 wheeler overturns on Loveland pass and spills it toxic waste into the Blue. Hasn't happened yet, so it must not be winter. Happens every year....

Just got off the hill. Corn and mashed taters, a little crowdy, mid 50's. Got choppy/scrapy by noon.

To some previous comments...

This is the 2nd year in a row that A-basin opened first in the nation.

I drove past Loveland about 20 minutes ago. It looks like they tried to blow (you can see the trail they hammered from 70W just before the Eisenhower), but there are huge bare spots still there.

No lines. I didn't wait for the lift more than 45 seconds all morning. Saturday might be another story...

Bob Knox: HA! I didn't look fat, did I?

I drove by the Basin yesterday (on a Sunday). They had a foot of new but it was wet, heavy stuff. Long lift line, but everyone looked happy. I can't believe that Vail Resorts is now charging their employees to ski the Basin on weekends. So lame! When did this become policy?

I have a connect for free Basin tickets year round, but you'll have to kick down a bud of dank and be an extremely cool person.

Loveland is spoutin snow, and there's some good size whales. The snow this past weekend can't hurt. I also saw about a dozen riders and skiers doing Loveland Pass. (I wasn't even tempted.)