Note to New Members ×

Hard boot climbing in the backcountry-how?

Fastskiguy

I am a big fan of the split system. But not sure if that is what you are referring too? Bomber does Split Board Bindings http://www.bomberonline.com/store/bindings/splitboard.cfm that will work on all Voile systems.

I also know some guys who like to go up in hardboots using accent skis, small skis (under 99cm) with an AT type binding to let them go up. They then put the board on their backs. I don't favor this as I do not like to carry the board on me.

I think snowshoes are the least favorite options. Slow and they make nice holes for others.

This is me at Tiago Pass two springs ago.

post-1-141842235955_thumb.jpg

95+ % of the time, it's a splitboard for me. This is nice for long approaches. If the going is really steep w/hard snow, crampons on my boots and an ice axe are needed. Short approaches w/deep powder steep terrain, I am going to try Verts snowshoes, this would be, in my mind, the only time snowshoes would be better. My $.02 american, for what it's worth....

I think your answer depends on what you mean by "climb" and "backcountry". As already noted, splits with skins on work for both up and down. Also, a number of people (me included) use approach skis (little fat skis) with permanent skins on them. For going straight up something steep, I use crampons on either SB or AT boots. Some folks like Verts for this (small plastic snowshoe-like things that are good for going straight up softer stuff). If it is just hiking up something fairly firm, but not icy, it isn't hard to just boot pack it. If I'm with other snowboarders in soft boots, I'm usually the one kicking toe-holds if we don't have crampons since hard boots are better for doing this than soft boots.

The other question, if you don't use a splitboard, is how to carry your board. For steeper ascents, I like horizontal carry so that I'm not constantly kicking the bottom of my board with my heels. If hiking on a trail through trees and stuff, vertical carry works better since you are less likely to get snagged on stuff beside you.

Oh, if you don't have a beacon probe and shovel, and know how to use them, go get them and learn.

Jon,

Hey, what is the statis of your custom boots? The ones where you had the Vibram soles put on a set of SB shells (I think).

Does it work?

Hey, Fin, I went to Dynafit TLT4's for boots. My modded ones were still too heavy. I kinda like the lower cuff, though, and the Vibram is the cat's meow hiking. SB 123's were just over 4 lbs per boot, the Dynafit's are 2lbs 14oz with Thermo liners. Anyone need a set of cut down SB123's w/Vibram in a modo 27?

Ok, this has been helpful so far :) Let's review

Ascent skis

or

Splitboard

Now I've got some ski boards, fat ones, maybe 99cm long, could those work as ascent skis? What kind of bindings will work as regular tele bindings won't ( I don't think ) with alpine snowboard boots.

As far as application I go on a trip each year with my brother. He's a tele god and I'm a midwestern Sith lord ski carver. So he knows a lot and I know not much about backcountry stuff. We've hiked up "some pass" near Sun Valley for the last 2 years and it's been pretty neat. Not very steep, maybe a blue run for you western guys (black here in Southern WI), but it's like, pow (!) baby. He's like "just get some tele stuff" and I'm like "sucks in the midwest!, need a local application" so that's where snowboarding comes in. So for just a couple of days per year I don't want to spend a ton....on the other hand I don't want a few dollars to get between me and a good time. I'm thinking ascent skis but...with more info...what do you think?

Have owned both ascent skis and split board,and by far the split is the best if your doing alot of backcountry.ascent skis work well when its not deepbut there is that problem that your finding out about what to use as bindings.

theres a link to a backcountry forum on bomber that you might find some useful info on the subject.

While I was in Europe for the First-Tracks.org event, the rad-air guys/gals were trying out some prototype versions of split skis. I tried a pair and they are really easy to use and are based on an AT ski. You can check them out at:

http://www.o-rogers.ch/

I have used snowshoes, verts, ascent skis and splitboards and my $.02 is that you should have both snowshoes/verts and either ascent skis/splitboard/split skis as it all depends on snow conditions and what you are trying to climb up.

I use ascent skiis now, but have climbed MtHood at least 8 times in hardboots by just walking with crampons . I am definately interested in getting a split setup soon but ascent skiis work pretty good.

Jim

What kind of bindings are those? I'm thinking my cheapest option is to convert some ski boards not currently in use to ascent skis. Then I'd just need a binding and some skins and I'd be set (I think). The splitboard looks good but they are not exactly cheap. I could get the kit and an inexpensive used board and get out the saw....but I'd still be in 150 for the kit, 150 for the skins, and 50-150ish for bindings...plus the cost of the board. Sounds like 500$ minimum.

I have used Verts, western style snowshoes, splitboards and approach skis in my 20 years of backcountry riding, and each has their merits.

I use a splitboard when I'm going into the bcakcountry with skiers (alpine touring and telemark). I can use the same up track as their skis, I can get some downhill glide, and it saves my back from carrying a snowboard. I find splitboards work best for me when the terrain is rolling and mellow, since I can put up with the riding compromises of a splitboard on such trips.

I use approach skis on backcountry trips with skiers as well, but only when the terrrain we'll be covering on the descent side is too steep and technical for a splitboard. If it's going to be steep and icy, I want a full on snowboard underneath my feet for the descent. I also use approach skis when the trip will call for a lot of climbing and descending transitions, since I find it frustrating for my skiing partners to be always be waiting for me to assemble a splitboard.

I started out backcountry riding in traditional Sherpa snowshoes back in the 80's. I don't use them much anymore- if I have to climb and traverse steep snow couoirs, I just use Verts. Western style snowshoes like MSR Denalis, Atlas, Tubbs etc do not traverse slopes well, they have marginal climbing capabilities, and are especially hard to control on downhill traverses. I find them unsuitabke for the type of backcountry terrain that I travel in in the Pacific Northwest.

What kind of bindings are those? I'm thinking my cheapest option is to convert some ski boards not currently in use to ascent skis. Then I'd just need a binding and some skins and I'd be set (I think). The splitboard looks good but they are not exactly cheap. I could get the kit and an inexpensive used board and get out the saw....but I'd still be in 150 for the kit, 150 for the skins, and 50-150ish for bindings...plus the cost of the board. Sounds like 500$ minimum.

They were k2 clickers with a hinged at setup but i drilled off the clickers and put on some old raceplates. I have a set of old f2 intec stepins coming to make it even faster in and out.

Jim

They were k2 clickers with a hinged at setup but i drilled off the clickers and put on some old raceplates. I have a set of old f2 intec stepins coming to make it even faster in and out.

Jim

Ah, OK, a homemade thing, I might be able to do that! And I think I can handle the board on my back *and* I have some wide ski boards so I think I'm going for it! Thanks a lot for all of your help guys!

Yea got the skiis on backcountry.com at some riduculas closeout for $79 . I see you are from Wisconsin. Grew up in Marshfield , went to UW-Madison and skied all the southern Wi ski areas and UP areas. My brother lives in Monroe now (works for swiss colony) and I was just back for opening day in Green Bay with my inlaws who live there.

Yea got the skiis on backcountry.com at some riduculas closeout for $79 . I see you are from Wisconsin. Grew up in Marshfield , went to UW-Madison and skied all the southern Wi ski areas and UP areas. My brother lives in Monroe now (works for swiss colony) and I was just back for opening day in Green Bay with my inlaws who live there.

Well spending all but a couple of days riding in southern Wisconsin is the problem, if I was able to get into the back country a lot then I could justify getting some trick gear. But cobbling together something with my ski boards, that is gonna be fine for a day or two per year I think. I'm looking forward to it :)

fastskiguy,

do a search for the thread last year "bombers/hardboots in coulouir magazine"

I posted some pics of my karhu Kruzers converted from soft boot ready over to HB compatible, it might give you some ideas, the voile' split board bindings are great for that application ( and cheap, readily accesible for me)

Jon , have updated my profile to an actual valid again email, hadnt looked at my profile stuff in a few years,

Dave*