Note to New Members ×

Skiing/Snowboard = long life?

LeeW

saw a documentary on centagenarians. On was a 104 year old black gentlemen who lived in a one room flat in Chicago. For the previous twenty years his diet consisted solely of 1/2 gallon of Red Mountain every day and white bread fried in fat back bacon grease. what do you want to bet if a nutritionist put him on a "healthy" diet he would keel over soon there after? :p

saw a documentary on centagenarians. On was a 104 year old black gentlemen who lived in a one room flat in Chicago. For the previous twenty years his diet consisted solely of 1/2 gallon of Red Mountain every day and white bread fried in fat back bacon grease. what do you want to bet if a nutritionist put him on a "healthy" diet he would keel over soon there after? :p

:lol::lol::lol: or if he moved to Summit County and started hardbootin?

what's red mountain?

You gotta remember though, the people they declare as "poor" are usually far from it. The average "poor" family has something like 3 tvs, cable or satellite tv, 1 car, etc, etc... Yes, there are some actually poor people, but the people that think they are poor, the people the government thinks are poor and the actual poor may or may not be totally separate people..

since when have you been the deciding factor of who is poor?

and who are they?

it sounds like you have a axe to grind here.

TVs can be had for less that $20 in this country or can be given away or stolen, lots of people give them away due to the cost of disposal.

I sense from your post you were about to go on spiel about how welfare is just for people who don't want to work. you live in Cadillac, MI it's white and fairly "stepfordesque" compared to places like detroit that are ****ed up and many people there fall below the poverty line. For you, a rich white kid to sit here and post that most poor families have 3 TVs and satelite and are not really poor is pretty funny.

Go live in a boarding house in detroit, dorchester, gary, cleveland, Buffalo or a few other choice places to live. even then you are a probably a middle or upper clas white kid so it would probably not be all that hard to get a job doing something that could pay enough to get by.

I must have touched a nerve.

To answer your question, I never said I was the deciding factor. I was merely stating that there is controversy over what constitutes poverty.

You're right, though. I am for the most part against welfare. At least as it is now. If somebody really needs help, then ok, they can get help, but alot of the people on welfare don't need help, they need to get off their asses. Sure TVs are cheap. But the way I see it, it's a luxury. So is cable tv. You should be allowed to get cable tv if you're on welfare. That money can be spent more wisely.

I never said "most poor families have 3 tvs and a satellite." I said the AVERAGE poor family has that stuff.

I'm far from rich. I'm also far from poor. I'm happy with what I have and have no interest in living anywhere in detroit.

I am middle class and yes, I am white. Am I still a kid at 24? Sure, why not. And I am an engineer, so yes, I can get by. But mostly due to spending money wisely.

Anyways, this is way off topic and if it's gonna stay in the carving section then the convo should get back to the mountains.

One last thing. Nobody's gonna make me feel bad about being a middle class, white male.

maybe it's just less stress. Having lived in both summit and grand counties, I'd have to say life is way less stressful than living in a city. No traffic, no long lines in grocery stores, no noise. And no people, so the freedom to do pretty much whatever you want. I'd say it's less to do with money, because most of the F/T residents of both grand and summit counties are far from being the multi-millionaires that own vacation homes here.

One last thing. Nobody's gonna make me feel bad about being a middle class, white male.

no one was, just pointing out that you're one of the privileged and you have seem to have that chip on your shoulder that allot of middle and upper income americans have about high tax rates(though they are damn close to the lowest of just about any of the first world countries), questioning if there really are poor people in the US by way of saying "You gotta remember though, the people they declare as "poor" are usually far from it" and the idea that the anyone on welfare economically retarded or a leach.

poor people in most places don't live as long among other things, summit county is fairly well off so it's natural for people to live longer in most cases. Add to that a active lifestyle and so on and it just makes sense.

The whole getting off their ass thing is crap.This country has millions of working poor.People who work full time and more but still don't make enough to support their families.There are fewer and fewer well paying job as our current admin is happy to allow corporate execs to ship those jobs elsewhere and pocket record profits all while bilking the American people out every last cent for fuel,food,education and health care.The haves in this country seem to thrive on judgement of the have-nots.

The whole getting off their ass thing is crap.This country has millions of working poor.People who work full time and more but still don't make enough to support their families.There are fewer and fewer well paying job as our current admin is happy to allow corporate execs to ship those jobs elsewhere and pocket record profits all while bilking the American people out every last cent for fuel,food,education and health care.The haves in this country seem to thrive on judgement of the have-nots.

nah, it's because they have TVs which are a poor financial decision. :biggthump

I agree with the statement of the middle class vanishing, it seems more like there is a clear servant and owner classes emerging. The issue is that people can't generate enough capital to move up above the poverty line or into middle class.

the US dollar has been drifting lower and lower as the fed keeps printing them like it's going out of style, ohh, wait, it is. Now why is that?

Massive debt and all we have to show for it is a occupation that is not sustainable, we will lose control of Iraq I think.

just a matter of time.

just for fun play with this site http://zipskinny.com/index.php?zip=01902

I have it set to lynn, MA, Lynn is a ****hole but not all that bad compared to here

just for fun play with this site http://zipskinny.com/index.php?zip=01902

I have it set to lynn, MA, Lynn is a ****hole but not all that bad compared to here

Oh man, thanks for that link, now I can plan for the site of my business, the first franchise which will expand and eventually take over the world! <que evil laugh>

Seriously, you are right but it's still a place where a common man can be successful. At least we have the possibility of moving up the socioeconomic ladder.