Note to New Members ×

Newb Q: What hardness TD2 Elastomer?

shawndoggy

I'm a relative newb. Started last year and got four days in before cracking that plastic toe piece on a (Burton) binding. Of course it broke on a day that I was really getting the board to hook up.

So now I'm going to bite the bullet and get a pair of TD2s. I'm 5'10" / 160. Which elastomer should I order?

Riding at Mt. Rose (Reno/Tahoe) if that makes a difference.

I see allot of folks running the yellow, but personally coming off F2's, or Phiokka's which are quite rigid, (at least under the plate) I went with purple (medium) on the TD2, and I am quite satisfied. When I skied in a past life I always liked a solid connection to the edges, and I feel the same way an a carver. I run the blue (medium) BTS springs as well. I figured if "medium" is a bit above my ability, I'll adjust, rather than be dissappointed in the performance of the "soft" options.

Al

shawndoggy,

Welcome!

Generally you do not use height and weight to select your E-Rings. As these guys have all chimed in, it is more of a style preference and what you want from the bindings.

The stiffer E-Ring (Red) will make the board more responsive and have more power but at the sacrifice of ability to absorb. The soft E-Ring (Yellow) allows for more movement and absorption but you give up a bit of edge efficiency. The Blues are between those two extremes.

To be honest, we tend to tell people to get the Mediums (Blue) and then they can figure out where they want to go from there, or they are just fine with the Mediums. Don't forget, you can also get the Suspension Kit and have Super-Duper absorption in the system.

Give us a call or e-mail and we can chat more about it if needed.

Even though Fin has spoken and he really is the final word on this stuff, I'll give my 2 cents.

I ride purple on my Madd 170 and have yellow on my coiler EX

The Coiler is my chopped up soft snow board, so I want a little more forgiveness in that setup. I am 225lbs and an agressive rider. I think if I was lighter I'd ride the yellow on both.

I am a yellow fan... at 190 pounds. I really don't notice any loss in power with them but I do notice that my knees don't get rattled as much.

I have two extra sets of purples that I'm more than willing to part with... if anyone wants to experiment... I don't have much of a user for them.