Note to New Members ×

How green is my car?

nils

Gotta love the TDIs.

2 things... They don't have trucks on there by the looks of it.. Where's the Chevrolet Silverado? And 2, it said that it doesn't have anything older than 01... That's the second time in as many days that somebody's called my truck old... It's only a 99 for gosh sake!

Edit:

A couple more things. My truck doesn't burn "petrol"... It burns GAS. :D

Also, does this site take into account all environmental impact or just the driving it around portion of it? I've read that in order to make a prius they mine cadmium and crap for the batteries in canada, then ship it to china to make the batteries, then ship the batteries to wherever to make the cars, then ship the cars, etc, etc... All of that has a pretty high environmental impact.

46 cents per gallon DieselSecret is advertised on the greencar web page, the secret is that it is junk for sure.

TDI is the next engine in my future, but that will have to wait a while as my daughter is only in her second year of college.

--Hugh

My car being a 2006 VW GTI 2.0L Turbo w/ DSG is smack dab in the middle @ 50 according to the website.

It's all subjective though. Depends on how a preson drives depends on how green a vehicle can or can not be.

If I am on the highway, with no roofrack on, and obviously no bike on the roofrack, using the cruise control set to about 72mph, I will get about 34mpg! Pretty good...but pretty boring. I'm old, but not that old!

Now throw the roofrack on and put a bike up there, cruising down the highway at about 80mph going through the gears, gas mileage goes down to about 24mpg. I'm no Mario Andretti, but I do like to drive a bit spirited!

Just my 2 cents.

Allee,

Granted, that's if I chose the right model VW, seeing that it is a European web-site. They list alot of VWs' in a similiar grouping. Here in the US, they don't call my car a Golf, but a New GTI, so the margin of error on my part is definately there :)

Hey Tex,

I forgot about the motorcycles! My 89 FZR400 would go 200 miles on 4 gallons of petrol! And my 01 SV650S goes 180 miles on 3.5 gallons.

worst score gets a slap ;) and the bad vibes from everyone !

I have two trucks, a 77 Dodge with a 383 V8 that probably gets about 7 miles to the gallon (of gas, not petrol), but it can move through the snow and mud. It moves alot better with 115 octane race gas but that is pretty pricey today. The other is an S10 ZR2 which probably wouldn't score high either. I am awaiting the the slap.

Out of the 3 of us (my brother, his girlfriend and I) we have a '95 Olds 88 Royale about 26-30 mpg, a '95 Cheverolet Silverado Z71 probably about 15 mpg on a good day, a '99 Cheverolet Silverado Z71 at 18 mpg on a good day, a manual Saturn Vue (year unknown to me) that gets probably right around 30 and a '48 dodge powerwagon that doesn't go more than 40 miles an hour (and anything more than 15 is just plain scary) that gets an unknown gas-mileage. It's supposed to run on leaded gas, so we can rule that out right away. The Vue is probably the most green. We drive the Olds to and from work every day.

• 2 weeks later...
Never mind looking at just the car... look at your lifestyle here.

Kool info YY -- I changed one thing and made a big difference so I question it's accuracy. My house ia 3200 sq ft , when I change it to 1500 sq feet I cut in half the number of planets needed. Hummmm. Does not compute least that is my opinion, :flamethro

I believe the number it gave me was a little high. Still it gave me a 19, so according to them I've got a smaller footprint than average. It was a very limited quiz though. Our house is very efficient. Even the furnace is something like 85% efficient and that's burning wood to heat the water and the house. Stuff like radiant floor heating help with the efficiency.

But I guess I'm happy with that number. Despite the fact that I disagree with it's premise. It can be fun to play.

EDIT

just took it again. This time I opted for the green design house. I dropped from a 19 to a 14. That's a huge drop. But I'd still imagine it's somewhere in between there.