Note to New Members ×

wavey sidecut

west carven

From Lib-Tech's website:

"MAGNE-TRACTION:

Replaces 'two contact point' ski theory. Conventional skis and snowboards have two contact points. Our Magne-Traction boards have seven! Seven is more than two. With Magne-Traction, when your two outside contact points lose grip, you’ve still got five more to take over. You won’t fall as much. Rides like a skateboard. Control and turn initiation come from under your feet, not a foot and a half to either side of your feet. Better edge hold. Climbs icy pipes! Turns ice into powder!"

Sounds like a gimmick to me.

I always wondered about that piezoelectric Head "intelligence." I know they sell it pretty heavily in their skis, boards, and rackets, but it seems like if it was that great, they'd be licensing it. If it's more than hype, wouldn't it be great for alpine boards?

I always wondered about that piezoelectric Head "intelligence." I know they sell it pretty heavily in their skis, boards, and rackets, but it seems like if it was that great, they'd be licensing it. If it's more than hype, wouldn't it be great for alpine boards?

Head or K2? I recall K2 coming out Piezo Electic

Reduction of vibrations

The TU Darmstadt in Germany researches ways to reduce and stop vibrations by attaching piezo elements. When the material is bent by a vibration in one direction, the system observes the bend and sends electric power to the piezo element to bend in the other direction.

Such an experiment was shown at the Material Vision Fair in Frankfurt in November 2005. Several panels were hit with a rubber mallet, and the panel with the piezo element immediately stopped swinging.

On Magnetraction

I avoid judging the effectiveness of a system until I have tried it.

Good riders have made some very bold positive statements in regards to it.

Worth a try. Try everything , judge from personal experience. :biggthump

the system observes the bend and sends electric power to the piezo element to bend in the other direction.

I'm not really trying to disprove anything (nor can I), but to me it seems the theory is just a gimmick or at least their discription is misleading. When in tension or compression, isn't it the piezo itself that creates electrical current? It seems like the piezo would send electrical current to the system and then the system runs an active damping control of some sort.

Is anyone racing on piezoelectric boards?

Pebu: Yeah, it's the stress in the material that creates a voltage. I don't know if you can get much current though. And if you apply a voltage across the material you induce a stress in the material, so it works both ways.

Their description is what is goofy. They talk about the piezo effect controlling circuits and "microchips" and doing all kinds of things. How are they running these IC's? Are there storage capacitors built into the board, or a battery embedded into the structure? Where is the power to dampen the board coming from? Another set of piezoelectric elements? So one set of elements generates the power through bending action, and another set dampens the vibrations, and in-between there is voltage rectification and regulation, some active control circuitry, and even a light? The piezoelectric effect is real and useful but the way they are describing the system sounds really gimmicky, like those shoes with the lights on the heels. If one set of elements was hard-wired to another set of elements with no crap in between, I could believe it, maybe.

Couldn't you do the same thing with pockets of shot embedded into the board, like a dead-blow hammer? Someone ought to try that. EDIT: I know it's note really the same thing, but it would be fun to try it.

I'm curious Bola, can you actually feel it work or does it just feel so tight to the snow and so smooth that it's gotta be doing something? (I truly am curious, I'm not tryin to be a jackass or anything.) Also, is there a switch or something on there that you can turn it on or off? I've got so many questions. :)

I would like to interject that the most significant example of vibration attenuation and flex adjustment capabilities I have experienced remains the "Tinkler Designs" boards. It is substantial and has changed my expectations of the boards I ride.

I understand the price of these one-off custom boards is outside the normal range of board budgets. (currently approximately 2000$)

post-198-141842235859_thumb.jpg

I certainly can vouch for 'em. Ive tried 'em and owned a magne-traction in their first year. It really does dial in. Only one problem, the one I had was a bit too stiff, and prefer a bit loose (freestyle), so I sold it quickly.

And yes, its a pain in the ass to hone the edges.

Skis (or NAS), I dont know. I might purchase a pair and give 'em a shot this winter tho Im a bit antsy about edging it via tune-up.

Worth a try. Try everything , judge from personal experience. :biggthump

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

"I've never actually ridden anything like it, but personally I think it's a gimmick also. Instead of 2 or 7 contact points I prefer one really long contact point."

:confused:

Quote:

Originally Posted

I've seen it around. I've never actually ridden anything like it, but personally I think it's a gimmick also. Instead of 2 or 7 contact points I prefer one really long contact point.

add my vote to that

:confused::confused::confused:

BOOOOOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOO. :eek:

Local board builder built an alpine model...

I know Jared Q has ridden it maybe he will chime in.

I like the Magna take one for a spin then make your call, Fun ride. works well.

The head action is so sick also.

Did Mervin realease the twin tip reverse camber, revearse sidecut twin tip powder board yet? I have skiied the spatcula they work well I bet the twip tip pow board also is sick.

WOOOOOO HOOOOOOOOOOO

Did Mervin realease the twin tip reverse camber, revearse sidecut twin tip powder board yet? I have skiied the spatcula they work well I bet the twip tip pow board also is sick.

that one is called the "Banana Hammock" and i played with one in a shop.... very interesting, pure pow monster

the one with just reverse camber is called the skate banana, and i did get to demo it last year, was ok, though it was def not a pow day, and it supposedly excels in pow as well