Note to New Members ×

Hunting

Bubba

I know from last year we had a few people on here who hunt and was wondering how everyone has done so far. Duck and goose opened up today in Minnesota and we spent the day floating down a river by my house. Pouring rain, cast on my leg and to our suprise, alot of ducks. We got (three of us) 4 mallards, 3 woodies, 1 pintail and 2 geese. It was a good day. Bow season has been kind of slow, saw 6 does on opener and took a shot (off the back of my four wheeler because of the busted leg) at an 8 pointer two nights ago. This is a great time of the year, it means more food in the freezer and snowboarding is right around the corner.

I went on opening day here in BC for some grouse and bagged my limit of five. I got 3 in one spot, it was cool but weird, 2 ruffed grouse hanging out with a spruce grouse.

I also went out yesterday and saw 4 but only got a shot at one. The others ran away too fast. I wish I could learn how to snap shoot. My friend has a skeet launcher, I should learn how to use it.

The bird of choice out here is the Blue Grouse, it is almost the same size of a chicken. They live in the higher elevations and don't tend to flush, they just fly up into a nearby tree or run a few feet then stop.

Just finished bow season here yesterday. Went to my hidey hole and got skunked. The same place last weekend I had six bulls bugling in one little valley. Two were fighting, but I didn't see them. Called in a 4 point and a six point but no shot. Still one of the most thrilling mornings of my life hunting for sure. Out here for elk we just count the points on one side and no eye guards.

Also saw a monster muley the same morning but I was chasing elk. Not done though. Deer (regular season ) opens again on the 9th and I have a chance the first week of november for a late spike hunt.

Havn't bird hunted here in a while. We used to have some spectacular pheasant hunting until all the California mega dairies moved and started spraying their **** water all over the country side, poisoning all ground cover with liquid manure and copper sulfate. Right in the middle of what used to be some of my best hunting are two 25,000 cow dairies and a 50K unit. You can smell them from miles away. CA raised their standards for dairies and instead of changing they just move to Idaho. :angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire:angryfire

I will quit whining now, but it should be against the law.

duck seasons in full swing here. I got 2 redheads and a pintail thursday. I got skinked this morning though. They are letting water out of the lake so after a 20 minute ride down river I arrived to find my spot to shallow to get the boat into:angryfire I had to anchor out in the open on the flats. Not much action there.

I have seen some nice bulls coming in from bow season this year. It seems they are all down low already do to wolf pressure and or drought conditions in the hi country? I will be heading up in November to try my luck.

IDaho Border country nez perce pass.:biggthump :biggthump :biggthump

Pennsylvania's archery season started a week ago. I've been out both saturdays and every morning before work, but have been seeing very little. It's been very hot and muggy, which seems to have the deer on a fairly nocturnal schedule.

The gear I made for this season includes a 62# osage selfbow and 650 grain ash arrows with self-nocks, snakeskin cresting, and trade points hafted to the front of the shafts. I also made some 905 grain hickory arrows that I'm reserving for my close quarters spots.

SnakeArrows04a.jpg

HickoryArrows900Grn001a.jpg

AK in PA, nice job with the self bow and arrows, lets' see some pics! (sorry if you had them posted already but my office blocks a lot of photo upload sites, so I don't see 5/6ths of the pics until I get home.) Self bow is my next project. Right now I'm just shooting my Black Widow recurve. Been out a few time this season in CT, but haven't seen much, both still hunting and tree stand. I still think it's to hot. 10/13 is opening bow season where I hunt in NY state, so maybe it will cool off a little more for that. The heat doesn't motivate me very much to get out.

Been getting my dog on some birds during some "fun trials" to get ready for bird season. But even for that, it's been pretty warm...

Come on colder weather...for hunting and boarding...

Archery opened here in WI, but its been too damn hot to go out. My dad was in CO bow hunting for elk 2 weeks ago. They got one bull and had 5 legal bulls come within 60 yards. He was so pissed it wasn't gun season :) Pheasant season opens here next weekend which is my bread and butter. The dog is 3 this year so should be improved over last year, but I did manage to get 23 last year.

• 1 year later...

nice to seem some fellow bow hunters, and traditional ones at that. That's a really nice looking self bow AND arrows there AK in PA.

Fishrising - nice with the black widow. I've seen and shot two different BW recurves - very nice stuff. Too much for me to afford though, maybe if I can snag a nice used one w/o any twists or cracks in the limbs.

I've been shooting a 50# Martin Savannah (used) since around March/April, but I've had around 3 months off due to a surgery. Anyway, used longbows/recurves are nice. They retain their value over the years, unlike compounds, which are constantly changing from year to year. Traditional bows are the same year to year, not much changes - same technology that's been used for thousands of years, with the exception of composite bows and multiple wood/fiberglass materials.

I'm looking to get back into it soon. I just need to clear off some nagging responsibilities off of the slate before I can go off having fun.

Where I live in NJ you must shoot a doe before you shoot a buck in the early September bow season. I was driving to work abou 5:30 am two weeks ago a saw a good shooter buck. That evening I went out and shot a doe so I could hunt the buck during the week. Ofcourse he never appeared where I thought he would but at least I got meat in the freezer. No duck hunting yet but maybe this week.