Note to New Members ×

Best Bang for the buck trip

Ernie00

I'm looking for ideas for this year's trip. Obviousely money is an issue so I'm looking on people to share your experiences on good trips that are worth the money or some that are really not worth the money and time.

Last year I went to Aspen / highlands / buttermilk , it was great but Aspen isn't really cheap on the cheap side. Thanks a lot to JoelP lodging was cheap but beautiful and knowing which run to do was priceless. Had a great time and it was more than worth every single dollars.

So I'm looking for a place (first week of march) that has

good grooming

good vertical

good challenging terrain

decent pricing lodging

easy travel from airport to Mountain,

access to food / grocery.

I'll be most likely traveling alone again so I don't need big fancy hotels... a place to crash that is clean with TV makes me happy.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

the most bang for the buck

in CO, A-basin

in wyoming, grand targhee

in the north east, jay peak

CA, June mountain

not worth the money, Vail, keystone, steamboat(unless you have a dump and are a tree junkie), winter park, killington, mt snow, mammoth, loon and tremblant

honorable mention for being crappy for the price you pay but not as bad as the above: brekenridge, waterville valley, bretton woods and anything owned by intrawest that I've not already mentioned

We did Salt Lake 2 years ago. Rode 5 different Mountains in 8 days of boarding. Stayed in Sandy Utah, close to the Cottonwood Canyons. The rental cost $50/night with a Kitchenette and 2 queen beds. Lift tickets averaged $52 when bought at the local rental shopo. The area we stayed had 15 or so places to eat with clean healthy food at very reasonable prices.

Conditions on the slopes were very good, but not much in the way of powder when we were there (last part of March).

Nobody asked us what ward we belonged to.

Highly recommended for all of the above reasons, and a tremendous amount of terrain in those 5 different resorts.

The other plus, is that if you take a day off, you can putz around in the city and get suckered into becoming a Mormon, if you have a soft spot for young Mormon girls at the temple. They are very friendly, and my advice is to ask 6 or 7 of them to become your wives (all at the same time).

Also, if you fly in the very early morning, Park City will give you a free lift ticket on the day you fly in. It's only about 45 minutes from the airport. You do have to preregister there though.

not worth the money, Vail, keystone, steamboat(unless you have a dump and are a tree junkie), winter park, killington, mt snow, mammoth, loon and tremblant

honorable mention for being crappy for the price you pay but not as bad as the above: brekenridge, waterville valley, bretton woods and anything owned by intrawest that I've not already mentioned

hey bob, what if ya get %50 off lifties at steamboat and have a skier with ya?

I found Banff was relatively cheap, except for the restaurants. The hostel (Hosteling International) is the best one I've been in and it cost something like $30/night. The tri-area lift tickets include the shuttlebus from Banff to the resorts and back.

You'll be pretty much the only carver there, surrounded by freeriders and Soft-Booted Park Monkeys. But the facilities in the hostel are great. It's about a 15-minute from the downtown core, which is really small. But the resto food is top-notch. The Silver Dragon resto is as good as the best Chinese food you'll ever eat in Montreal.

You'll need to purchase a service to take you from the airport to Banff. It cost me $95.

In total, I spent $1015, not including airfare, for the 8-day trip. I only bought supper in a resto. All other meals I made myself at the hostel, including lunch.

'later...

steamboat half off,

**** yeah, if you can find a cheap place to stay it would be amazing for a $38 ticket. the reason I mentioned steamboat is a severe lack of challenging terrain and that there is no real cheap lodging in town that I know of.

that said steamboat trees are the best around, period. but you need a god dump to take advantage of them.

Also a good note about the 'boat is that the snow quality there is has a leg up on most of CO, it tends to be drier like the UT resorts get.

So I'm looking for a place (first week of march) that has

I'll be most likely traveling alone again so I don't need big fancy hotels... a place to crash that is clean with TV makes me happy.

Any ideas or suggestions?

Thanks

ECES will be held first week in March (3rd-9th) at Stowe and the group condo deals will be very cheap. More info to come on pricing and event details.

SLC was in my plans, is public transport early enough to get there for first chair or you get there late?

Yes, public transit can get you to the resorts early enough for first chair. Quite a few of the resort employees use public transit, and a lot of them have to be there early enough to open the chairs for us so.....

Keep in mind that if you are staying in Park City, public transit will get you around in Park City, and to all of the resorts in and around Park City - Park City, The Canyons and Deer Valley (BOOOO!).

If you're Staying in the Salt Lake Valley, public transit will get you to the Cottonood Canyon Resorts - Brighton, Solitude, Snowbird and Alta (BOOOO!).

Getting in between Park City and the Salt Lake Valley is another story as far as public transit is concerned. I don't believe that there are any public transit options when it comes to that...

There's most likely pay for use situations though, no? I flew into SLC and stayed in PC when I was younger, and we definitely had a bus ride, but it might have been in connection with the hotel? Also had a shuttle from the hotel to the hill...

Skully..man...if I ever get off my ass your area is one I might end up in :)

There's most likely pay for use situations though, no? I flew into SLC and stayed in PC when I was younger, and we definitely had a bus ride, but it might have been in connection with the hotel? Also had a shuttle from the hotel to the hill...

Skully..man...if I ever get off my ass your area is one I might end up in :)

Yes, there are definitely pay for use situations between cities. There are several shuttle services that will run you between SLC and PC, or the airport, or the different resorts. Hotels will probably have different transport services, you would have to talk to them... There's Taxi service too....

You could leach rides of off BOL members too! (Might not be as accomodating as the other options, but who knows?)