Note to New Members ×

Holy Moly- Warp Speed Captain

Chubz

I have been working on getting better at DH and building my speed confidence. Top speed so far is 46 MPH. Once I get my leathers, hoping to break the 50 then 60 until I saw these videos. 50-60 may be my top goal.

If you have not seen these and are considering DH at max speed, this will give you a true taste of speed and reconsideration. Watch the trees.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uNHkoEvyTOg

I suppose its like anything humans do, if you do it enough times, the muscle memory grows, nerves relax, things slow down and you just go.

Also, the tuck postion on the first one is different from what I have seen most.

My speed confidence has grown over the past few DH's I have done but nothing like this. I am going back to cross stitching.

OK I'm the first to tell you that my tuck sucks but the tuck of those guys in the first video is just GAY....and not in a Ross the intern funny kind of gay but in a really scary kinda do you really go out in public dressed like that kind of gay

as a side note Nice hill

• 2 weeks later...

I saw someone this past weekend doing one of those tucks. I think they said it makes the board more stable...I'll try out the standard.

I hope to be able to get into the high 30s next time out. On inline skates, its so much easier to go fast. on my first downhill bomb, I got into the mid to upper 40s without trying...and stupidly, without a helmet. I was curious, but i'm not that dumb anymore.

OK I'm the first to tell you that my tuck sucks but the tuck of those guys in the first video is just GAY....and not in a Ross the intern funny kind of gay but in a really scary kinda do you really go out in public dressed like that kind of gay

as a side note Nice hill

Agreed! That one footed "stork the dork" tuck has butt pirate written all over it. I can't really argue with the results though....ludicrous speed!

How do they keep the road clear? I bet if you hit somebody at that speed they'd splatter in four different directions.......

Awesome footage though...THANKS!

From what I understand they close the road at the bottom and there is limited houses along the route. You can see right before they drop into the steep part that a road to the right is blocked with people and or cars and toher ppl and cars at the run out. I tried to find the Road on Google Earth but there are many in that area that look the same.

I think the road doesnt go anywhere at the top and ends at a church. Some last prayers before bombing it.

Also search "GMR" and GMR tribute. :biggthump This seems to be a bad A$$ hill in CA.

I tried the stork the dork and the drop knee tucks. Stork the dork is tough and drop knee is a bit wobbly but i guess you get used to it.

As far as slap fights while DHing, I would love to but I cant get anyone else to DH in this area. Got my leathers last week and no one to chase car me. My wife wont go, makes here too nervous.

GEck, what wheels are you running. I cant decide between Flywheels oor Speed Vents. ANy input would be cool

I just put a set of bright Blue (81a) 3dm Avila's on my speedboard...big, fat and heavy :biggthump I had Pink 70mm Zig Zags on it last weekend and they slide with no warning and in general had little feeling :angryfire my right hip is unhappy with Reflex thane at speed :angryfire this is weird considering how happy I am with Reflex thane slaloming. Admitedly Pinks are soft and lemon/lime Big Zigs might give me a better feeling but Limes aren't available at the moment so I looked elsewhere. FlyWheels....I wasn't impressed, they ride harder than the urethane should, do to the core and I just couldn't get comfortable on them regardless of durometer. Speedvents are grippy much more so than Flys which are closer to Blastwaves, which I've been told are an awesome drifting wheel. Avila's don't seem to drift but my plan is to trim the lips a bit which should improve the driftablity. Now my opinion of Seismic/3dm thane is that it is some of the most comfortable urethane for wheels at speed. I spent a lot of time in the mid 30's on a set of Hotspots, the wheels were definitely the most comfortable part of the equation there because the board was too soft and my truck bushings were also to soft. Another wheel that I really like but haven't been able to match with the right board is the Landyachtz 77mm Hawgs, they are centerset which has given me clearance issues but they are great feeling wheels. I'm hoping that Andrew K and I can solve that problem this winter (figure that building a board to solve a wheel issue) :ices_ange

one last thing about wheels...my experience and observations are that wheels between 75mm and 80mm are really all that is required for speedboarding...which is good because wheels get expensive over about 78mm

I am comfy on my Gumballs for current speed, but I am looking for something for when I head for extended 45+ MPH hills, shooting for 55 mph . slightly concerned about the potential for wheels heating up and deforming, or is that a wives tale?

I have my king pin cranked down a bit (about 6 threads showing) and seems to be stable at about 45 mph

The hills where I ride are basically straight aways with a few big open turns throw in here and there. I assume drifting is how a wheel moves across the pavement perpendicular while also rotating down the hill.

I was sent some other wheels in an order I got a while back to try out, but I'm not too confident in them. Plus the guy sent me 150 mm trucks instead of a 180 like I requested. THey seem to be decent trucks just not wide enough. Ti-Lites. I have three sets if you know of anyone looking for sets.

Lastly, what exactly are you looking for in a board. I got another board in the press today for someone my size that I will be making it a drop thru, just to tinker.

Gotta run

wheel meltdown is usually related to bearings not the wheels themselves. Yes Drifting is basically what you describe that slide/turn feeling in corners. A whel that drifts will allow you to get through a tight corner at high speed...a grippy wheel will pitch you at a BAD TIME. If it came down to a choice between Fly Wheels or Speed Vents I'd choose Speed Vents...3DM thane just feels better.

Thanks but right now I don't need a new board. I'm actually just starting to explore my Wedgehellcat. I'm actually more interested in high speed turning than top end. I'm talking design with Andrew because he lives here in town and has a desire to build a Texalium/wood board, especially after I got intrigued with Brian Pecks Carbon Rayne Avenger

Guest toddflyingdog

Years ago I asked a skate prodigy whose dad owned the local board shop what bearings were the fastest and most durable...

I havn't bought anything other than reds for my longboards since. The swiss bones are a nice upgrade and I have them in my vert skate. pricey though to risk dirt and mud...

I run XT wheels which are not that popular... but i run alot of roads where cracks and gravel etc... are present.

My reds hold up flawlessly riding dirt roads, through puddles and snow all winter.

My opinion on bearings:

Rons - Nothing out there comes close IMO for acceleration and tolerances. Ninja's for Slalom aren't bad and if speed is not an issue nothing beats the ease of Biltins once you rid them of the stock grease and add a liquid lube.

The new Ron's come with custom spacers that allow for a cranked down axle nut and a free spinning wheel.

~TG

I ride reds and these green adrenalines but I am looking for something that are fast mostly and generally tolerant to heat and wear. Working to attend Maryhill next year and want to get my set up ready for early next spring and summer when I will begin heavy training.

Also looking to do some long 2 miler plus, 9-10% grades here in the Poconos prior to winter and seekign a solid bearing wheel set up.