Note to New Members ×

What angles do you ride on your soft boot board?

waypastfast

So i have been riding my alpine setup for the last 16 years at least and i am thinking of getting a soft boot board just to play around on and maybe do some powder days. SO seeing as how i haven't ridden anything but apline angles i am wondering what you guys out there tend to ride when you do ride your soft boot board? And any suggestions on where i should start. Thanks!

Man, I feel wierd runnin my 7 and 0. But I don't really carve with that. If I do I toe and heel out like mad. I'll do a little jibbing like that and that's prettymuch my bumps and off piste board. I'd like to do a little more off piste with my hardboard, so we'll see how that goes.

you need to have clearance and control period.

The right angle is whichever one puts your heels and toes on the edges without overhang.

higher angles can be done but you will burn out the back leg faster and sacrifice control at lower speeds.

lower angles will lead to over steering and boot out.

So the answer is that it is different for every board you ride.:D

Put them at any angle and someone will say that that is where they go! :biggthump

For softboots, my angles change quite a bit depending on what I am doing and what board I am riding. Toe and heel overhang are something to consider, but soft bindings (with highbacks) are not designed to be run at too high of angles, so you cannot usually eliminate it. Some people use riser plates since booting out on a great turn is quite frustrating.

I found as my technique evolves, different angles feel better or worse, so I am always trying different angles. Luckily softboot bindings are pretty easy to move.

Have fun experimenting!

boot out in softies is rather a phenomenon of perception. granted, there are folks on this board like phil who have large feet who ride high angles because that allows them to avoid having 4 inches of overhang. i ride with very little overhang and still catch my toes and heels. funny thing though is that booting out is optional. unfortunately my brain hasn't caught on to that fact yet.

duckie duckie duck duck duck (i think a few seasons ago i declared myself never ever going to ride duck) but my angles are determined by overhang, and what hurts in my body. beats me what they are though. having a good natural stance allows for the greatest adaptation of the rider to whatever life is throwing at them (bumps, trees, small children, ice, gates, rails, pipe). if i were riding a stance that forced my body out of alignment, i'd be eaten alive by anything on the hill. i suspect that the same is true for most folks out there. ride on!

So i have been riding my alpine setup for the last 16 years at least and i am thinking of getting a soft boot board just to play around on and maybe do some powder days. SO seeing as how i haven't ridden anything but apline angles i am wondering what you guys out there tend to ride when you do ride your soft boot board? And any suggestions on where i should start. Thanks!

Are you going to ride switch? If not, steeper angles would probably be better. Bumps and off piste on a carving board I ride 55 and 40, on a swallow tail and wider all mountain carvers I ride 45 and 30. I don't ride switch and the only reason I don't ride steeper angles on the wider boards is because it requires too much torque on my knees and ankles.

I think the board you decide on is going to dictate what your angles are.

I'm pointed down the hill and like to stay that way.