Note to New Members ×

Your advice on that..

BoarderYUL

Hey, just visited the new Deeluxe web site.

What do you think of their prediction ?

" Snowboarding changes over and over again. Although, several tools remain the same without adapting. Alpine snowboarding changes right now, in a phase many people wont believe in this discipline anymore. And that's exactly where it draws its power from, aiming at more movability, more community, on to the actual spirit of snowboarding – having fun on snow and the feeling of gliding along in a sense of weightlessness.

Alpine boards are becoming shorter again, even broader and less hard. The binding angle got flatter and see there – its fun again riding with hardboots. Its possible again to follow the joy of carving all day long, really controlling the board and not vice versa.

Long, slim and extremely hard boards are good, but you need thighs like a tree trunk and a ridiculous condition. Its a good advice for those having all that, but the others should have fun riding a snowboard as well."

Would have to agree. I switched to a wider board last season-Donek blade 180 and like it better than a narrower board. It has a smoother ride and is more fun for free carving.I did not buy it to EC. I will probably never EC due to the fact that I have dislocated and had to have surgery on both shoulders and am not interested in extending my arms out on the snow. The swoard guys have a good idea with the wider board and maybe more people will ride hard boots again. I don't know if i will ride my race boards again because I like mellower angles and BTS. I can still carve well and a narrow board is designed to turn quicker in a race course but I don't need that because I don't race. Also it is less of a change going from the Blade to my Dupraz D1 because the boards are similar in width and I ride the same angles on both of them. We will see if this wider board thing catches on or not. I have ridden lots of stuff as this will be season number 30. I hope we will be able to buy wider boards for a long time as this is what i am interested in. I used to ride a mistral 159 asym everywhere and it worked pretty well due to the width. I could even ride it in bumps at snowmass years ago.

Let me say first off that a race board of some sort will always be in my quiver. You just cannot replace the performance, at this stage of the game. That said, I will tell you that I will spend most of my time on a twin tip board this season. As it sits right now, I've got my TD2's mounted up onto a 156 Vessel that I scored from RJ recently, and probably will keep the Snowpro's on the 192 Tanker I got this spring. When I ride with any of my friends, I have to take it down a notch or 3 everywhere except the bumps. One area that needs to improve is twin tip plate compatible boards with a flex/sidecut combo that will carve hard. I still wish I had purchased the 164 LSD, and may look for one if finances allow later. A carvy twin tip board with a 10.5 sidecut is about right. The ATV is a good step in this direction.

• 4 weeks later...

I've been doing all types of riding in hardboots on mainsteam all mountain boards with 25cm waist widths for alot of years,but last year's experience with other people's new generation (to me anyway) narrow waisted carving boards reawakened what it was I loved about the narrow boards back in the early 90's but with much improved performance and user friendliness.The irony is that they are also easier on my knees than my former one board quiver.I think there is such a thing as too narrow for me but I did own a Squall back in 91 and rode it in bumps and almost everywhere else.After a couple of days I found the 182 CoilerAM with it's 19.5 waist and 55 degree angles to be as easy to ride as my 161 Extrem with it's 25 waist and 45 angles(which I later changed to 50 and shifted the rear binding about 1cm toward the toe edge based on the Coiler experience).I might never be just a one board rider again,but if I am it will be on the Coiler.

Its kind of weird for me that one of my all time favorite boards in the bumps was a worn out tire track Burton FP173 with the 19 cm waist.

One of these days I am going to ride some new boards and I wouldn't mind trying something shorter wider again for a little more all conditions ride while teaching. For some of the high speed carving that I do I can't imagine a shorter wider board ever being superior to the Burner hookup I get at speed. Might be ok for the full layout body brake EC thang though.

My two cents.