Note to New Members ×

Shipping Issues

Thor VonRippington

The following is copied from my thread "Bords For Sale". Has anyone else experienced this?

There are four POs in the Valley... the first one I went to would not ship the boards Priority due to size. The second was happy to ship them Priority for $70-$80 each! This is where I checked back into UPS and FedEx who are holding fast at $30-$40 each. Third PO is under construction and looks like a pain in the arse. Fourth PO... shipped a board Priority to California (yes that's you Hugh) for $23 and some change (this is typical for all the boards I sent last season). I held off sending the others in fear that they would all be returned (a postal worker said it could happen and they would charge me both ways). I will send the others on Wed when I'm sure there will be no more hassles.

WTF is going on... can anyone enlighten me?<!-- / message --><!-- sig -->

I just went through hell tring to ship some kites via the PO, I was shoked about the new rules, many item now receive extra charges due to size. I used to ship PO all the time boards, Boots, kites, etc. Now UPS is cheaper?

Go figure? One of the ladies at the PO said she would sent info to my address about the new mesurements. Perhaps then I'll have a clue but not now.

I have changed over to UPS too.In the past year shipping my ebay sales Fedex and US Postal have doubled for bikes and wheels(seems like collusion; never thought of myself as a conspiracy theorist,but...).The p.o. s have always been inconsistent with bigger packages but are now just consistently overpriced.I no longer ship anything bigger than a crankset(in a flat rate box if it's the other side of the Mississppi)via Postal. UPS can be even more if it's gotta be 3 days or less but I often find that a package is due to arrive in three days with regular ground (1-6 days guaranteed)shipping for a third as much (or even less) as 3day Select.

I find it typical for these greedy corporate times in which we live that their main excuse is increased fuel costs.A truck that carries 50-100 packages does not use another 1000.00 in fuel in a day but that's what it seems we're paying for.

I don't know if my information is germain to your post but I work in direct (junk) mail business. The United States Postal Service has changed many things related to business mailings. Soon to come are the new regulations concerning barcoding.

The USPS is changing to a 'global barcode' effective in 2008. This will allow tracking of any deliverable package anywhere on the globe at any time. What makes that possible is a thing called Delvery Point Verification (DPV) and LACSLink. What that gibberish all means is nothing sent through the mail is deliverable unless it has DPV applied to it. You have to know where the piece is going and apply a barcoded address to it. Otherwise, you pay a hefty premium for some high-paid slob at the PO to figure out where the piece is going. The DPV is based upon a database of deliverable points that are verified via the USPS. Without the DPV the sender is charged premiums based upon how difficult it is to deliver a package to an unknown/known point and in addtion to weight and size charges. Eventually, this will all be applied to all mailpieces.

The whole idea was to simplify the process. But, as with any entity like the USPS it simply makes it more expensive for the user. As applied to BOL members it means the UPS and FedEx are looking a whole lot cheaper to use for shipping boards, boots, and bindings. DHL for international shipping. Sadly, the same regulations applied to the USPS are applied the UPS and FedEx. I'd be very careful if I went to the PO to mail something in the next few months.

Mark

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=430 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=22>back on subject

Just ~^today^~ gleaned this off the usps site, the measurements they accept are the same, stay under 130 total and you should be good to go, I'm quoted 22.90$(there is one more charge for oversize, the site doesn't calculate it, I think it 8 to 12 bucks) for a package 82x2x11 from nh to colorado,guess you gotta watch out for usps employees about to go postal, sounds like you got a few

Large Package

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=div_dots vAlign=top background=../images/divider_dots.gif height=20></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Use “Large Package” when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package is more than 84 inches but not more than 130 inches. Also use Large Package for packages more than 1 cubic foot.

If you are unsure of your package category, select “Large Package” on the first page of the rate calculator. You will be prompted to enter your package dimensions and the correct rate will be calculated.

15_package.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

<TABLE cellSpacing=0 cellPadding=0 width=430 border=0><TBODY><TR><TD vAlign=top height=22>back on subject

Just gleaned this off the usps site, the measurements they accept are the same, stay under 130 total and you should be good to go, I'm quoted 22.90$(there is one more charge for oversize, the site doesn't calculate it, I think it 8 to 12 bucks) for a package 82x2x11 from nh to colorado,guess you gotta watch out for usps employees about to go postal, sounds like you got a few

Large Package

</TD></TR><TR><TD class=div_dots vAlign=top background=../images/divider_dots.gif height=20></TD></TR><TR><TD vAlign=top>Use “Large Package” when the length plus girth (the distance around the thickest part) of a package is more than 84 inches but not more than 130 inches. Also use Large Package for packages more than 1 cubic foot.

If you are unsure of your package category, select “Large Package” on the first page of the rate calculator. You will be prompted to enter your package dimensions and the correct rate will be calculated.

15_package.gif

</TD></TR></TBODY></TABLE>

thoose are the old spec that used to be in order perhaps your PO has not gone to the nes rules,

It something like if any part of the girth of the package exceeds 17 inches on 2 planes then it is now considered un machinable and over sized! the 130 rule is now bunk at my PO.... Hope good old NH stays old school!!!

Hmmmm Haven't seen any of this yet, although haven't shipped a board via USPS in a while. I do know they are changing the system, becuase my po just got new computers and it is screwing with everything.

If you print your postage online I would guess that they would honor it if your package is within the limits. It also makes it easier when you get to the po if everything is already done. They seem not to check things as closely if your postage is already on it.

My luck with shipping is with UPS for domestic for boards. It used to be a bit more expensive, but there is tracking and it usually gets to where it's going most of the time. Internationally, USPS won't ship boards because they are too big, you have to go with DHL or FED EX (UPS rates international are outrageous). This also gives you tracking capabilities. I have heard bad stories about DHL, but haven't had that experience. I think we can all tell horror stories about each carrier.

I would HIGHLY suggest insurance on any package you send with any carrier. Make sure it is enough for replacement in case they lose it, which happens. The one time we didn't insure something it was a custom board, and UPS lost it. We could only get $100 for it. bummer :(

I ship daily all over the world, so if you guys have suggestions or questions, fire away. I would love to hear an alternative to pricing or shipping options, because the costs (especially overseas) are unbelievable. I shipped a tele binding, hat, and leash (total about 7 pounds with packaging) to Europe last week and the customer chose Fed Ex, cost was $163! It's just ridiculous. I feel bad for all the Australia/NZ customers that have to pay for shipping boards down there, sometimes it's more than the price of the items!

mich...I am assuming you have a FedEx account? If so, see if you can sign up for discount rate. Call and insist, with as much as you ship. Express/Intl packages get reduced by 30% or more which makes a huge diff.

I dont know about USPS sizing changes but would think that the official USPS site would be up to date? If not, print your postage online as michelle said and if anyone hassles you say "hold on...this is from YOUR site."

The problem that I've run into shipping 200cm Tankers is that the Post Office workers are inconsistent. One actually told me he wouldn't even try to send it. Others just sent it and said I should pray, I did, it worked :ices_ange . Other times I've been charged very differing amounts even when I argued and showed them past receipts. It got too frustrating to be worth the speed and sometime savings.

I stopped using them.

The most consistency and least issues I have had is using Fedex and I still have issues. They have rectified 90% (guess) of the issues I have had though, so they keep getting the nod.

The problem that I've run into shipping 200cm Tankers is that the Post Office workers are inconsistent. One actually told me he wouldn't even try to send it. Others just sent it and said I should pray, I did, it worked :ices_ange . Other times I've been charged very differing amounts even when I argued and showed them past receipts.

I have found the same is true. As RJ has stated, the better you know the rules , the better off you will be (cost wise). The secondary shippers are the worst. They almost always default to the higher cost figures.

Recently I have noticed several online retailers USPS Prices jump. Not sure what that is about (short of greed)

I know both Fed Ex and UPS made changes a month or so ago.

On a good note: I just had a Tanker 172cm shipped for 15$ !!! 4 zones USPS.

I paid 25$ (or allowed for that in my offer) so , glad for the seller!!

NOTE: I have accounts with all the major shipping companies. They typically do not offer "Ground" shipping discounts unless your volume is pretty high or you do allot of "High Value" shipping , like overnight or expedited services. I don't do enough to get a break.

I just shipped 8 boards in two boxes on monday via USPS Priority from the base to Oregon and the limit was 108 inches (length plus girth). Was relatively cheap. Tanker's have always been a problem though and military post offices have basically told me not to even try.

I just shipped 8 boards in two boxes on monday via USPS Priority from the base to Oregon and the limit was 108 inches (length plus girth). Was relatively cheap. Tanker's have always been a problem though and military post offices have basically told me not to even try.

THANKS!!!!

That was a deal!